Next Manager

12 minutes ago, Yerdas Selzavon said:

I mean, there isn't going to be anything happening at all - leven is in charge for the rest of the season

Leven is likely to get enough points to keep us up after the last 2 results.

If it means he's in charge for the rest of the season to get a better manager then so be it. Would rather this than appointing Lennon today just to appease the impatient fans.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, pittodriepie83 said:

I guess sometimes you have to caveat the “poor recruitment” with whatever it was the manager told the team he wanted - didn’t Goodwin mention he was after athletic players, seemingly ahead of technical ability? Richardson is some athlete but does not have a footballing brain in his body. Similar with Robson wanting pace - Morris is rapid but one of the worst footballers I’ve seen in a long time. We’re told scouts watch them in person & report back - would like to know what the reports on those two (and Guèye) were. Either the scouts are blind or were overruled by the manager.

Analysts and scouts shouldn't be shortlisting shit players for useless managers to have an input on in the first place 

• Like 1
Just now, aberdeen1970 said:

Analysts and scouts shouldn't be shortlisting shit players for useless managers to have an input on in the first place 

I agree, but if the process is what we’re led to believe - the manager sets out which attributes he values most & what he wants in each position, then the recruitment team are showing him however many options with those attributes. The scouts should then be saying by the way lads, he’s quick & strong but he’s also shite. Who knows if they did or if the manager(s) shrugged it off.

I suppose the main question is, if us getting relegated is affecting our options, are we better to hold off with Leven running and hopefully in the next few weeks get the 9/10 points we need . Then get the man who is a bit reticent as we might get relegated which will effect budgets and quality 

Just now, The Gee Man said:

I suppose the main question is, if us getting relegated is affecting our options, are we better to hold off with Leven running and hopefully in the next few weeks get the 9/10 points we need . Then get the man who is a bit reticent as we might get relegated which will effect budgets and quality 

100% we are better off. Leven will keep us up. No half decent manager is going to be interested coming here for a relegation battle and a team of shitebags. Wait till summer and tell him he can have a few bob to sort it out and look like a hero. Sorted. 

this season is over. We aren’t getting relegated and we aren’t getting to the Scottish cup final. It will just play out and be very depressing. The only thing for us from here till May is this fantastically cringe thread 

4 minutes ago, pittodriepie83 said:

I guess sometimes you have to caveat the “poor recruitment” with whatever it was the manager told the team he wanted - didn’t Goodwin mention he was after athletic players, seemingly ahead of technical ability? Richardson is some athlete but does not have a footballing brain in his body. Similar with Robson wanting pace - Morris is rapid but one of the worst footballers I’ve seen in a long time. We’re told scouts watch them in person & report back - would like to know what the reports on those two (and Guèye) were. Either the scouts are blind or were overruled by the manager.

5 minutes ago, pittodriepie83 said:

It’s difficult to judge whether a player doing well at a lower level can do the same if given a chance higher up the pyramid. For example, there is footage of morris destroying teams single-handedly but at a lower level. Against lower level opposition in cup matches for us he has looked a player (Ramirez showed this too) . That extra few seconds to control, pass, decide make all the difference . ( Ramirez was hopeless in his build up play and looked two yards short of pace - I don’t think he ever went past a defender or left a defender behind on any kind of through ball in a league match or against premiership opposition). Maybe the best scouts can see it. Brian clough famously said that the hall mark of a good player was his ability to pass accurately under pressure - the higher the standard the greater the pressure . All clubs get decisions right and wrong on transfers - choosing someone to step up in standard of league is notoriously difficult . 

Just now, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

100% we are better off. Leven will keep us up. No half decent manager is going to be interested coming here for a relegation battle and a team of shitebags. Wait till summer and tell him he can have a few bob to sort it out and look like a hero. Sorted. 

this season is over. We aren’t getting relegated and we aren’t getting to the Scottish cup final. It will just play out and be very depressing. The only thing for us from here till May is this fantastically cringe thread 

Summer is too long away. Get the points then get him in end April hopefully is my opinion 

7 minutes ago, pittodriepie83 said:

I agree, but if the process is what we’re led to believe - the manager sets out which attributes he values most & what he wants in each position, then the recruitment team are showing him however many options with those attributes. The scouts should then be saying by the way lads, he’s quick & strong but he’s also shite. Who knows if they did or if the manager(s) shrugged it off.

That's complete conjecture 

9 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It's really not as simple as that though is it, especially at the level we are at shopping in the markets we are.

Even the old way of recruiting managers signed shit players, I posted a list the other week, I very much doubt that Russ and Deeker went out looking for shit players then but they ended up with them.

4 minutes ago, minijc said:

It's really not as simple as that though is it, especially at the level we are at shopping in the markets we are.

Even the old way of recruiting managers signed shit players, I posted a list the other week, I very much doubt that Russ and Deeker went out looking for shit players then but they ended up with them.

I said this last night, we aren't able to attract enough players of the calibre we need. You can speculate as to some of the reasons why. 

The point remains though. There's no way players like Morris, McGarry, Richardson and Gueye should reach the stage that we are making decisions about paying sizeable transfer fees and offering long term contracts.  That suggests too many people in the chain don't know their onions. 

2 minutes ago, minijc said:

Surely the whole different country, style of play, pitches have an effect. Let alone away from family and friends etc. look at Di Maria at Man U was absolutely honking in epl! But happy enough in Spain etc. even just supply, if you’ve played football with the same few players since youth level they know you, new team mates don’t. Like recruitment in say shops etc it’s a gamble 

1 minute ago, The Gee Man said:

Surely the whole different country, style of play, pitches have an effect. Let alone away from family and friends etc. look at Di Maria at Man U was absolutely honking in epl! But happy enough in Spain etc. even just supply, if you’ve played football with the same few players since youth level they know you, new team mates don’t. Like recruitment in say shops etc it’s a gamble 

Are you telling me that someone couldn't have watched Morris for say 15 minutes and realised that he wasn't worth spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on as well as a 4 year contract? 

I'm not having that. 

5 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

That's complete conjecture 

Thats why I said “if the process is what we’re led to believe” 😂 

There was a decent episode of the ABZ Podcast where the interviewed a former AFC analyst (can’t remember his name) where he literally said that’s how it worked when he was there. They were told what the manager wanted in a player in a certain position, and they found players for him with those attributes. Then it was up to the scouts to do in person analysis. 

I said this last night, we aren't able to attract enough players of the calibre of we need. You can speculate as to some of the reasons why. 

The point remains though. There's no way players like Morris, McGarry, Richardson and Gueye should reach the stage that we are making decisions about paying sizeable transfer fees and offering long term contracts.  That suggests too many people in the chain don't know their onions. 

It really depends on what we are looking for, Goodwin and Robson will have still signed off on them so it's a failure on their part.  I suppose you also have to take into consideration whether those boys were first, second or third choice, then the further you get from your first choice I guess it's just about getting a player in.

With Morris at least with his age and the data I've looked at there enough there to suggest he could be something, it just hasn't worked for him though.

McGarry, I agree, he should never have been an option, Richardson too then with Gueye I'm reluctant to write him off just yet when we haven't seen much of him and he clearly struggled to adapt moving here.

Are you telling me that someone couldn't have watched Morris for say 15 minutes and realised that he wasn't worth spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on as well as a 4 year contract? 

I'm not having that. 

No what I’m saying is wherever he came from the whole set up made him look better! Our set up doesn’t 

1 minute ago, pittodriepie83 said:

There was a decent episode of the ABZ Podcast where the interviewed a former AFC analyst (can’t remember his name) where he literally said that’s how it worked when he was there. They were told what the manager wanted in a player in a certain position, and they found players for him with those attributes. Then it was up to the scouts to do in person analysis. 

Lee Scott.

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Ppl are saying theres to be an announcement at noon today, anyone else heard this?

A late april fools perhaps?

Maybe the announcement is to admit we dont know what the blazes we are doing?!

Would be very surprised considering no one in the media has got a hold of it yet.

My guess is we will keep trying for the next few weeks, but no one becomes available that we really want so we will just hand Leven the job until the end of the season and hope that potential candidates are more willing to come in nearer then

Just now, pittodriepie83 said:

And they still ended up recommending Morris.  Must be a tiny fucking database if they aren't incompetent 

11 minutes ago, RedRevolution said:

It’s difficult to judge whether a player doing well at a lower level can do the same if given a chance higher up the pyramid. For example, there is footage of morris destroying teams single-handedly but at a lower level. Against lower level opposition in cup matches for us he has looked a player (Ramirez showed this too) . That extra few seconds to control, pass, decide make all the difference . ( Ramirez was hopeless in his build up play and looked two yards short of pace - I don’t think he ever went past a defender or left a defender behind on any kind of through ball in a league match or against premiership opposition). Maybe the best scouts can see it. Brian clough famously said that the hall mark of a good player was his ability to pass accurately under pressure - the higher the standard the greater the pressure . All clubs get decisions right and wrong on transfers - choosing someone to step up in standard of league is notoriously difficult . 

https://theathletic.com/4237821/2023/04/21/brighton-scouting-premier-league-tony-bloom/

interesting article on the approach Brighton take 

Just now, minijc said:

It really depends on what we are looking for, Goodwin and Robson will have still signed off on them so it's a failure on their part.  I suppose you also have to take into consideration whether those boys were first, second or third choice, then the further you get from your first choice I guess it's just about getting a player in.

With Morris at least with his age and the data I've looked at there enough there to suggest he could be something, it just hasn't worked for him though.

McGarry, I agree, he should never have been an option, Richardson too then with Gueye I'm reluctant to write him off just yet when we haven't seen much of him and he clearly struggled to adapt moving here.

Away min. The whole of Pittodrie knew Morris was shit the first time he received the ball. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I'm not having that. 

I had 30 secs on the transfermarkt website to know he was a punt to develop and not a player for the first 11

Just now, Tord31 said:

I had 30 secs on the transfermarkt website to know he was a punt to develop and not a player for the first 11

I think you’ve nailed it. He should never be a starter at present at our level. Impact sub with pace until he learns much much more