Next Manager

Just now, Don_Corleone said:

I'm sure this has been stated somewhere else in this 444 page long thread, but what are Thelin's managerial credentials? Has he ever won anything of note? Why is he so highly rated? 

I think a lot of it is that he seems to get a lot of the teams he managed. Yes he didn't win the league last season but it went all the way to the final day. Nothing we'll ever manage unfortunately. Must have something about him if teams from the Championship were linked with him.

No guarantee he'll bring any success but if you gave me a choice of Thelin, Lennon, MacKay, Adams, Alex Neil I find it hard to believe anyone wouldn't choose Thelin as who they'd want. 

19 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

He won't get that long on here. 

If folk on the match thread aren't happy with his second half subs on his home debut there will be a Thelin Out thread before supper time. 

Ironic given you're writing players off after receiving one pass.

Thelins name will have been leaked AGAIN by someone inside Pittodrie along with the story about how we might be willing to wait until the Summer solely because O'Neill (who we were chucking all our eggs into one basket over) has turned us down and now we're back to square one again. 

• Upvote 3
  • Dildo 1

Thelin has literally said no to us already. He will not have changed his mind in that time, especially seeing as one of the key reasons was he didn't want to leave so close to the start of Elfsborg's season and leave them in the lurch. The Allsvenskan is only 1 game in so this is still the case.

The whole "we'll wait till the end of the season if we have to!" thing is because they're having to draw up a new shortlist considering we've been rejected by everyone we've contacted but they don't want to give a definitive timeframe as they've done that twice already and failed twice. Thelin's name is simply to placate us.

• Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

He won't get that long on here. 

If folk on the match thread aren't happy with his second half subs on his home debut there will be a Thelin Out thread before supper time. 

Should have put Gunner in charge, he’d never have made such a mistake. 

12 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

I'm sure this has been stated somewhere else in this 444 page long thread, but what are Thelin's managerial credentials? Has he ever won anything of note? Why is he so highly rated? 

For me it’s his ability to transform clubs over a long period of time. Along with the fact his team only just missed out on the title, meaning he’s no mug.

Folk like Lennon might be decent for a short fix but they will undoubtedly leave you in the shit in the long term. As seen by his previous departures

13 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

10 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

I think a lot of it is that he seems to get a lot of the teams he managed. Yes he didn't win the league last season but it went all the way to the final day. Nothing we'll ever manage unfortunately. Must have something about him if teams from the Championship were linked with him.

No guarantee he'll bring any success but if you gave me a choice of Thelin, Lennon, MacKay, Adams, Alex Neil I find it hard to believe anyone wouldn't choose Thelin as who they'd want. 

They got it to final day and then blew it - just had to avoid defeat and lost to the champions Malmo (Shades of Hateley and Watt spring to mind).....

It seems he's a fashionable name due to being foreign and his team by all accounts doing ok in Sweden, but as I mentioned above, his trajectory is similar to Tam Courts, so if it was Courts, Lennon, Mackay, Adams, Neil would we be excited?

First game of season link - 

Number 10 Baidoo looks a player like.

Looking at Swedish league, it seems like if Scotland got rid of the Old Firm style of league where the top 6 or so bounce around from top to 6th/7th (Elfsborg were 6th in 22/23, Malmo 7th then both went for the title last year). Plays a 4-3-3, tries to attack, judging by the youtube video also got a keeper as shocking as ours!

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

So the guy we rejected before, and who has since told us to f-off once already, is the favourite?

Its an interesting strategy we are pursuing.

Nobody really knows what happened, he may not have told us to fuck off. As supporters we know very limited information, and anything from the press should be taken with a pinch of salt. If the club get this one over the line we can be encouraged by that. 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

So the guy we rejected before, and who has since told us to f-off once already, is the favourite?

Both parts of your post are rumours both might be true both might be shite so hard to say what sort of strategy it is.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

If he’s the right man and there’s still a chance why would we not pursue it? One more win and we should be safe so there’s no rush to appoint. Need to get this one right, can’t have another Goodwin style rushed appointment.

I'm all for going down the foreign route to try something different - the only thing that concerns me from the little I've picked up about Thelin is that folk are saying he's a "long-term" appointment. I think that maybe works fine at a club with low expectations - say a St Johnstone / Motherwell / St Mirren type club where there's no real pressure other than to stay in the league and therefore a manager can stay for 5, 6, 7 years and gradually work away to improve things over that time. At Aberdeen the expectation is that anything below 3rd and cup finals every season is failure. He's not going to get 5 seasons unless he basically achieves 3rd or 4th as a bare minimum in his first couple seasons.

7 minutes ago, Willo flood said:

Is it?

From a managerial standpoint there are similarities - Courts took a non-league team up the divisions as did Thelin, Thelin then took another team up the divisions so a difference there, then both left and went to a top division side and got them to punch above their weight. Courts then left to go to a foreign managerial opportunity, which if Thelin comes to us is the same.

I have no idea if their footballing philosophy (bar watching youtube for Thelin's side and looks like a 4-3-3 with Baidoo being the attacking maverick) is the same or what to expect as I don't watch Swedish football - as i'd imagine 99% on here dont either but he's foreign, has a greying beard and nearly won a title so he's "cool" which I guess is better than Jack Ross or Malky Mackay to be fair!

2 minutes ago, Dave Bus said:

If he’s the right man and there’s still a chance why would we not pursue it? One more win and we should be safe so there’s no rush to appoint. Need to get this one right, can’t have another Goodwin style rushed appointment.

I’m not sure we are 1 win from safety ie the play off spot! 2/3 I’d say

1 minute ago, Don_Corleone said:

I'm all for going down the foreign route to try something different - the only thing that concerns me from the little I've picked up about Thelin is that folk are saying he's a "long-term" appointment. I think that maybe works fine at a club with low expectations - say a St Johnstone / Motherwell / St Mirren type club where there's no real pressure other than to stay in the league and therefore a manager can stay for 5, 6, 7 years and gradually work away to improve things over that time. At Aberdeen the expectation is that anything below 3rd and cup finals every season is failure. He's not going to get 5 seasons unless he basically achieves 3rd or 4th as a bare minimum in his first couple seasons.

Genuine question…when was the last time any of those teams had a manager in place for 5-7 years?

Totally disagree on that however, any manager that needs time won't get that here as Cormack and the rest of those at the club have proved they are clueless.

The structure Cormack wanted, he doesn't actually know how to put it in place, the idiots he's hired for important positions don't know what it entails either and the fans won't give it time, so it doesn't really matter how good a manager is, they'll struggle due to how poorly run we are.

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, minijc said:

Totally disagree on that however, any manager that needs time won't get that here as Cormack and the rest of those at the club have proved they are clueless.

The structure Cormack wanted, he doesn't actually know how to put it in place, the idiots he's hired for important positions don't know what it entails either and the fans won't give it time, so it doesn't really matter how good a manager is, they'll struggle due to how poorly run we are.

We can only hope that we appoint a good technical director who works well with any new manager. That might be the catalyst for change. 

• Upvote 1

Obviously you’d be looking at finishing around 3rd or 4th but if he even just finishes in the top 6 in his first season that will be enough for him to continue on to the next i think. Obviously depending on how the season goes.

Sacking managers year after year around January time has got us absolutely nowhere in the last 3-4 years and surely Cormack has realised that now.

• Upvote 3
2 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

Genuine question…when was the last time any of those teams had a manager in place for 5-7 years?

When does many teams these days, Martindale is current longest followed by McInnes!!

To think a manager will "build for the long-term" is folly - It's why you need the Tech Director/DOF role to be a solid long-term person, they put in the structure and you get a manager who embraces that philosophy. Likliehood being that manager does well and leaves after 2-3 seasons, but you don't lose the structure of the club when he does as you can plug in someone else who again embraces that philosophy - rinse and repeat.

• Upvote 3
6 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We can only hope that we appoint a good technical director who works well with any new manager. That might be the catalyst for change. 

Yip but again we're doing it arse about face which could cause issues down the line.

Lets be honest in modern football it's very unlikely that a manager will be at 1 club for more than 3 years, so this is why having a proper structure in place is extremely important.

Someone like Thelin could come in and get things going, he does well maybe wins a cup, chances are bigger teams will want him.  If we have the structure in place it's so much easier to replace him as you're effectively just plugging a new piece in the jigsaw then hopefully what he set in motion can be taken to a new level with the new manager.

2 minutes ago, minijc said:

Yip but again we're doing it arse about face which could cause issues down the line.

Lets be honest in modern football it's very unlikely that a manager will be at 1 club for more than 3 years, so this is why having a proper structure in place is extremely important.

Someone like Thelin could come in and get things going, he does well maybe wins a cup, chances are bigger teams will want him.  If we have the structure in place it's so much easier to replace him as you're effectively just plugging a new piece in the jig saw then hopefully what he set in motion can be taken to a new level with the new manager.

Aye. That's why the new technical director is probably an even more important decision (provided he's allowed to do his job properly). 

We should be using this time to get that appointment made so we cab then recruit the manager for the summer. 

16 minutes ago, C'monEweReds said:

Nobody really knows what happened, he may not have told us to fuck off. As supporters we know very limited information, and anything from the press should be taken with a pinch of salt. If the club get this one over the line we can be encouraged by that. 

He rejected us. It would require him changing his mind. I don’t think it’s close if he’s the chosen 1.