Next Manager

18 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

I’m not sure we are 1 win from safety ie the play off spot! 2/3 I’d say

This weekend's fixtures are quite intetesting actually. If we win and results go our way it could have a huge impact. Results going our way probably means Dundee beat Motherwell and mathematically confirms we're not making top 6 however.

5 minutes ago, TheRedPrawcess said:

This weekend's fixtures are quite intetesting actually. If we win and results go our way it could have a huge impact. Results going our way probably means Dundee beat Motherwell and mathematically confirms we're not making top 6 however.

Dundee's late winner last time out sealed us finishing bottom 6 for all intents and purposes. We need Dundee to lose all of their matches and hibs to lose all of theirs along with us winning all of ours with a 6 goal swing. However, both of them play motherwell, and if we need them to lose all of their matches it means Motherwell get 6 points and we would then need a 9 goal swing.

*Edit - Motherwell and Hibs could draw but we would STILL need a 9 goal swing to overtake the latter

4 minutes ago, TheRedPrawcess said:

Unless i'm mistaken, we can't get top 6 due to Motherwell (barring us outscoring them by 8 goals). They play Dundee and Hibs, so if they lose either game, top 6 is beyond us, if they won both games then we have to catch up 8 goals plus whatever they won by....I think that ship has sailed!

7 minutes ago, TheRedPrawcess said:

Lolz the holy grail of top 6 hasn’t been a thing for months! Robson and Warnock saw to that

1 minute ago, DoonTheLine said:

Unless i'm mistaken, we can't get top 6 due to Motherwell (barring us outscoring them by 8 goals). They play Dundee and Hibs, so if they lose either game, top 6 is beyond us, if they won both games then we have to catch up 8 goals plus whatever they won by....I think that ship has sailed!

Livignston 0 Aberdeen 4

Dundee 0 Motherwell 2

Hibs 0 St Johnstone 2

Followed by

Dons 3 Dundee 0

Motherwell 1 Hibs 1

Table at split...

6th Dons Pts 39 GD -7

7th Hibs Pts 39 GD -8

8th Dundee Pts 39 GD -15

9th Motherwell Pts 37 GD -4

NO PROBLEM 😂 Unless i've completely fucked up my maths

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Yerdas Selzavon said:

However, both of them play motherwell, and if we need them to lose all of their matches it means Motherwell get 6 points and we would then need a 9 goal swing.

*Edit - Motherwell and Hibs could draw but we would STILL need a 9 goal swing to overtake the latter

5 minutes ago, DoonTheLine said:

So you're saying there's a chance?

2 Lloyd Christmas references within a few pages of this thread. Hope for the thread after all.

Everything is pointing to Leven till the summer, you just wonder if Thelin had possibly said...I can come in summer and this has changed things again? 

As I don't think Burrows is silly enough to say what he said in public if he didn't think something was very close, so for me something has changed and I don't think it was another no, but we are now getting to the time of week where we will get.....

Peter Leven will take charge of the first team for the away match at Livingston on Saturday as out search continues for a new manager for the 24/25 season. 

3 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Livignston 0 Aberdeen 4

Dundee 0 Motherwell 2

Hibs 0 St Johnstone 2

Followed by

Dons 3 Dundee 0

Motherwell 1 Hibs 1

Table at split...

6th Dons Pts 39 GD -7

7th Hibs Pts 39 GD -8

8th Dundee Pts 39 GD -15

You have me believing hahaha!

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Livignston 0 Aberdeen 4

Dundee 0 Motherwell 2

Hibs 0 St Johnstone 2

Followed by

Dons 3 Dundee 0

Motherwell 1 Hibs 1

Table at split...

6th Dons Pts 39 GD -7

7th Hibs Pts 39 GD -8

8th Dundee Pts 39 GD -15

10 minutes ago, DoonTheLine said:

You have me believing hahaha!

Until 1501 on saturday

Livi 1 dons 0.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Dandys1983 said:

Everything is pointing to Leven till the summer, you just wonder if Thelin had possibly said...I can come in summer and this has changed things again? 

As I don't think Burrows is silly enough to say what he said in public if he didn't think something was very close, so for me something has changed and I don't think it was another no, but we are now getting to the time of week where we will get.....

Peter Leven will take charge of the first team for the away match at Livingston on Saturday as out search continues for a new manager for the 24/25 season. 

Can't see any reason why he'd say he'd come in the Summer. Surely if he wanted the job and had agreed to join he'd want to be here ASAP to assess the players on the pitch and in training so he can seem himself who he wants to keep for next season. 

Its not as if he would want to see out the season at Elfsborg as they're season has only just started. The only reason you could see him waiting if out of respect in giving Elfsborg time to find a replacement. But most well run clubs don't take months and months to source and employ a new manager so that could be a week or 2 potentially at most.

None of it makes any sense which is why its clearly made up shite. Our esteemed FMB taking us for mugs again.

14 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

Lolz the holy grail of top 6 hasn’t been a thing for months! Robson and Warnock saw to that

I don't think top 6 is the holy grail, but it's still possible, albeit unlikely. I'm not deluded. Focussing on winning games and boosting the morale and form ahead of the SC matches is still important and a good run of form might turn the heads of potential managers.

43 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

I'm all for going down the foreign route to try something different - the only thing that concerns me from the little I've picked up about Thelin is that folk are saying he's a "long-term" appointment. I think that maybe works fine at a club with low expectations - say a St Johnstone / Motherwell / St Mirren type club where there's no real pressure other than to stay in the league and therefore a manager can stay for 5, 6, 7 years and gradually work away to improve things over that time. At Aberdeen the expectation is that anything below 3rd and cup finals every season is failure. He's not going to get 5 seasons unless he basically achieves 3rd or 4th as a bare minimum in his first couple seasons.

Is it?, 3rd and cup finals every season?, have you seen the state of our club recently, we have a teaboy as a dof incapable of doing his job as he’s not a football man with zero footballing contacts, an executive in grieving, a chairman who cannot stop his tentacles getting involved with decisions he shouldn’t be near, Sampson as a goalie coach lol and a team full of shitebags?, we are struggling to find a manager that actually wants the job and we are just about to lose the only reason we won’t be relegated when bojan goes.we aren’t guaranteed to beat either the Huns or Celtic in cups never mind our closest rivals hearts/hibs, on that note both are getting stronger financially due to Europe for one and EPL club cash injection for the other, after this disastrous season we will be on parity with what we will make (ferguson/miovski sale/european money), while we wasted money on Richardson and morris 🤮, we should have kicked on when the Huns got liquidated putting in real money to cement our 2nd place and rivalling 1st, we didn’t, Celtic under delia was there for the taking. 

there’s no way way we can expect that given we have been bottom six 2/3 years, we should at this point, but we can’t.not unless major changes to the back room staff at the club happens IMO unfortunately.

53 minutes ago, Dave Bus said:

If he’s the right man and there’s still a chance why would we not pursue it? One more win and we should be safe so there’s no rush to appoint. Need to get this one right, can’t have another Goodwin style rushed appointment.

No rush after 9 weeks....define rush?

Personally I would rather have a manager come on board and have the remainder of the season to evaluate and identify key weaknesses and any positives (there are a few) and be allowed full control and say on what he wants transfer wise. We need to identify players and sign players for the new managers preferred playing style and tactics. 

Now is the time to get a new manager on board. Just my tuppence worth.

• Upvote 2
22 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Have we been in the top half at any point this season? 

Would be surprised, we started off the season the way it has continued. 

Disaster of a season no doubt, some good European performances which would be a lot more pleasing if we had carried that standard in to the league. 

Looking forward to the final whistle going on the last day of the season so we can try and stick this behind us and move on. Hopefully a competent manager in place and a more balanced squad to take us in to the new season. 

1 minute ago, C'monEweReds said:

Disaster of a season no doubt, some good European performances which would be a lot more pleasing if we had carried that standard in to the league. 

Looking forward to the final whistle going on the last day of the season so we can try and stick this behind us and move on. Hopefully a competent manager in place and a more balanced squad to take us in to the new season. 

🙄 define 'good', please 

1 minute ago, DD1903 said:

🙄 define 'good', please 

Not sure what you're getting at here..

Played well away to both Frankfurt and PAOK, As well as beating Frankfurt at Pittodrie. Those are good teams well ahead of the Scottish standard. We dug deep and created a lot of chances, scored some nice goals too. 

Still trying to figure out the eye roll. Are you one of the unrealistic fans that thinks we should have pumped the lot of them? 

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

None of it makes any sense which is why its clearly made up shite. Our esteemed FMB taking us for mugs again.

I don't think they are, they were pressured into appointing Barry as everyone was loving how well the team were doing, but plenty good see they are very lucky in slot of games, but also there were some very good performances 3-0 in 30 mins against Hearts is a stand out for me. 

But the FMB should have stood firm and made the appointment they wanted and not what some fans wanted, now we are in this mess and I can understand why they want to get this right this time, I'm actually more than happy to let them take their time now and get this right, problem is we have some of the lost fickle fans in football and any new manager is going to need time to implement his style etc but will he gey it at Aberdeen I'm not so sure tbh. 

1 hour ago, Yerdas Selzavon said:

Thelin has literally said no to us already. He will not have changed his mind in that time, especially seeing as one of the key reasons was he didn't want to leave so close to the start of Elfsborg's season and leave them in the lurch. The Allsvenskan is only 1 game in so this is still the case.

The whole "we'll wait till the end of the season if we have to!" thing is because they're having to draw up a new shortlist considering we've been rejected by everyone we've contacted but they don't want to give a definitive timeframe as they've done that twice already and failed twice. Thelin's name is simply to placate us.

The Swedish league have a mid-summer break from 2nd June to 7th July (covering the Euros?) so is there a scenario here that Thelin didn't want to leave Elfsborg in the lurch right before their season starts but maybe he agrees to manage them through to the break giving them time to find a replacement for the July restart and joins us after 2nd June?

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, C'monEweReds said:

5th due to alphabetical order after the 0-0 draw at Livi on the opening day. When our season peaked.

15 minutes ago, Dandys1983 said:

I don't think they are, they were pressured into appointing Barry as everyone was loving how well the team were doing, but plenty good see they are very lucky in slot of games, but also there were some very good performances 3-0 in 30 mins against Hearts is a stand out for me. 

But the FMB should have stood firm and made the appointment they wanted and not what some fans wanted, now we are in this mess and I can understand why they want to get this right this time, I'm actually more than happy to let them take their time now and get this right, problem is we have some of the lost fickle fans in football and any new manager is going to need time to implement his style etc but will he gey it at Aberdeen I'm not so sure tbh. 

Nah I can't take that it was because of the fans, people running a football club have to be stronger than that but the fact is several of the FMB were head over heels for Robson despite it being obvious his football was shite and teams would work out a way to counter it.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Don Shula said:

The Swedish league have a mid-summer break from 2nd June to 7th July (covering the Euros?) so is there a scenario here that Thelin didn't want to leave Elfsborg in the lurch right before their season starts but maybe he agrees to manage them through to the break giving them time to find a replacement for the July restart and joins us after 2nd June?

Could be, plus it allows him to see how Elfsborg are doing to that point and if not in contention he might just decide to move on for his own progression.

4 minutes ago, DoonTheLine said:

Could be, plus it allows him to see how Elfsborg are doing to that point and if not in contention he might just decide to move on for his own progression.

If it was the case that he was waiting until the Summer break in Sweden to see how they were doing and then make a decision on whether he wants to come or not and our board were holding off until then in the hope he'll say yes then they're more useless than any of us have ever imagined. There'd be absolutely no point in us holding on until June based on nothing but hope as if he then decided 'nah actually i'm going to stay at Elfsborg after all as we've started the season well' then we're back at square one, a few weeks before pre-season starts with still no new manager.

I am truly amazed that there isn't a few managers queuing up to potentially further their careers managing the Dons for a couple of years or so.

Our points tally against the current top 6 is 10. Surely a decent manager can improve upon that.

We have won only 4 league games at home all season, 3 of which against the current bottom 2. Surely a decent manager can improve upon that.

We have shipped 49 goals in 31 matches. Surely a decent manager can improve upon that.

In conclusion our manager's role is a fantastic opportunity for someone. Very surprising it hasn't been filled by anyone yet.