Aberdeen 1 - 1 HJK Helsinki

19 minutes ago, 4n4LprObE666 said:

I saw Jah Wobble at Glastonbury once and he had his bass amps turned up to 11. So much low end that the air in my lungs was vibrating and I couldn't see properly. Or it could have been the drugs.

Sounds good. His work with PiL is peerless

on topic; playing clarkson just behind the front 2 with Barron in the midfield alongside Shinnie would benefit the team and give the defenders a better option for passing out. We knocked it about the back a lot and bypassed the midfield cos there was never a pass on or at least a positive one. 

If Clarksons playing closer to the front 2, we’re getting goals from that without a doubt. 

44 minutes ago, Millertime said:

It's not

What's the point of this?

Season after season, aiming to be 3rd at best

Winning a domestic cup every 20 years

Getting into a group stage in Europe every 15 years only now, when we get there, we turn up insipid,  absolutely pathetic dirge like that 

I expect more

I demand more 

I'm definitely away now, this shower of keech 100% doesn't deserve my precious energy

BOOOOOOOOOOOO

Agreed.

We are a diddy club & are undeservedly JUST clinging to a top 200 status.

it’s No wonder Cormack has been so quiet lately. Shambles

: "We deserved to win the game. That's evident, we all saw that. I'm disappointed with the goal we lost. They had one shot at goal. That's testament to how well we defended and pressed. But the frustration of having another 17 shots. We should've scored a couple more, been a bit more clinical. If we'd done that, we could have won that game by three or four.

"It's not easy to blame. We have to take it as a team. Our last four games we've scored 10 goals. Our xG has been very high this season. Against Hacken we had 26 shots - we should've scored more goals. Because of the way we play, we want to go fast through the lines, press well, bring speed through the game. That's what getting us chances but we need that last bit to be more clinical.

"When you get it right, you score four like against County. Tonight that wee bit was missing. It will come.

[On red card] "Massively surprised. I need to be careful what I comment on. The level of player and game has to be officiated at the correct standard as well. I didn't think the standard was right tonight. A lot happened on the pitch that wasn't right for me. We all saw it. We all saw the decisions getting made. It wasn't the standard required at this level.

"100%. That's the frustration for me. That was a good performance. That's five performances in a row we've really performed. Scored 11 goals, could be sitting with 12 or 13. The sucker punch is them scoring with one shot on target. That's good going from us. We were coming up against a good side. They took PAOK all the way, they have Finnish internationals, good players. They couldn't handle it. The real pleasing thing for me is five of their players went down with cramp - they couldn't handle it."

Don't see anything wrong with any of that

Night of frustration. 3 points were well within our capabilities but not to be. 

I just think the lack of proper width is restricting us. I get why he goes 3/5 at the back away v Frankfurt and Der Hun but at home, I mean, how many times do McKenzie and Devlin get to the byline? Never. Everything is in front of the Helsinki defence, makes it so easy for them to defend against.

On Sunday, there is absolutely no reason to go with 3 central defenders v St Johnstone. Drop Ruby out of that back 3 and go 4–3-3 

18 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Game didn’t really get going after the head knocks. Flat. 

Clarkson was absolutely terrible. Desperate to try play the final pass. 

The final Hollywood pass. Barron comes on in the same game, same system, same manager and plays completely different and better. Sometimes it's just the players don't suit.

Clarkson, quality player but needs dropped for a couple of games and a bit of coaching 

7 minutes ago, Russell said:

: "We deserved to win the game. That's evident, we all saw that. I'm disappointed with the goal we lost. They had one shot at goal. That's testament to how well we defended and pressed. But the frustration of having another 17 shots. We should've scored a couple more, been a bit more clinical. If we'd done that, we could have won that game by three or four.

"It's not easy to blame. We have to take it as a team. Our last four games we've scored 10 goals. Our xG has been very high this season. Against Hacken we had 26 shots - we should've scored more goals. Because of the way we play, we want to go fast through the lines, press well, bring speed through the game. That's what getting us chances but we need that last bit to be more clinical.

"When you get it right, you score four like against County. Tonight that wee bit was missing. It will come.

[On red card] "Massively surprised. I need to be careful what I comment on. The level of player and game has to be officiated at the correct standard as well. I didn't think the standard was right tonight. A lot happened on the pitch that wasn't right for me. We all saw it. We all saw the decisions getting made. It wasn't the standard required at this level.

"100%. That's the frustration for me. That was a good performance. That's five performances in a row we've really performed. Scored 11 goals, could be sitting with 12 or 13. The sucker punch is them scoring with one shot on target. That's good going from us. We were coming up against a good side. They took PAOK all the way, they have Finnish internationals, good players. They couldn't handle it. The real pleasing thing for me is five of their players went down with cramp - they couldn't handle it."

I do. 

HJK dominated the game tonight as much as we did on Saturday. 

80% possession means fuck all when you're doing fuck all with it. 

HJK had actual minutes when we stood watching them pass the ball amongst themselves. They knew that eventually they'd create a chance, and they took it. 

If we'd played exactly that sort of game against Eintracht,we'd be lauding the team to the stars. 

As it was, we were ponderous, uncomfortable, and utterly lacking in invention or belief. 

27 minutes ago, minijc said:

Fit you arguing for then G min? Haha

Fair point, a few times before Clakrson went off all 3 got drawn to the same area as well which left us open down the opposite side, hopefully we can fix these things.

Christ, most of our players don't rely on their drive and energy as much as Shinnie does, he needs to be managed properly, at his age when he's clearly lost a bit as well, it'll be a long season for him.

Spot on Mini

11 minutes ago, Russell said:

XG, Hacken and playing with speed. A load of pish. Ponderous for 60 mins until the goal sparked us to life, our goal scored from a hopeful ball and a defensive howler, Duk’s chance from a hoof up the park. We are better than that and the frustration is we are good enough to win that game, but nonsense to suggest it was to do with missing a load of good chances, we were simply off it. 

27 minutes ago, Big Dode said:

Hate how highlights never show the best bits, the blood and gore. Nothing is going to attract more viewers than the controversial bits of a game, have the referees incompetence on full display. It's plaguing football from the top to the bottom at the moment.   

Oh God yeah, tell me about it! BT /TNT have always whitewashed highlights. YouTube themselves also age-restrict highlights and the Cantona kick still gets age-restricted on YouTube, yet proper real life gore, animal abuse often doesn't.

Frustrating night.  Don't normally listen to Radio Scotland but caught Robson's interview and don't agree that we did enough to win the match.  Felt we didn't create nearly enough good chances - speaks volumes that our goal came from one of their defenders misheading the ball.

Disappointing because that was a team we really should've been beating at home.  If we can't beat them then who can we beat at this level?  Just another frustrating night of European football at Pittodrie - seems to have been plenty of them in recent times.  

Probably should've started Barron or Polvara instead of Clarkson.  We looked OK in the first half up until the head knocks, then went really flat.  Never really got going again until we went behind.  Really needed more from our creative players like Clarkson and McGrath.

Also that must be the worst atmosphere at a big European match at Pittodrie I have ever experienced.  Thought there was a few reasons for that and it wasn't just because of the lack of exciting goalmouth action on the pitch.

Just feels like another missed opportunity. Got to get a win on Sunday to keep things moving upwards before the break.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, DandyWarhol said:

Frustrating night.  Don't normally listen to Radio Scotland but caught Robson's interview and don't agree that we did enough to win the match.  Felt we didn't create nearly enough good chances - speaks volumes that our goal came from one of their defenders misheading the ball.

Disappointing because that was a team we really should've been beating at home.  If we can't beat them then who can we beat at this level?  Just another frustrating night of European football at Pittodrie - seems to have been plenty of them in recent times.  

Probably should've started Barron or Polvara instead of Clarkson.  We looked OK in the first half up until the head knocks, then went really flat.  Never really got going again until we went behind.  Really needed more from our creative players like Clarkson and McGrath.

Also that must be the worst atmosphere at a big European match at Pittodrie I have ever experienced.  Thought there was a few reasons for that and it wasn't just because of the lack of exciting goalmouth action on the pitch.

Just feels like another missed opportunity. Got to get a win on Sunday to keep things moving upwards before the break.

Agreed but I'd have brung on Polvara for mcgrath in 2nd half.

Look it's all about getting to euro leauge every season but our chances to qualify would get better with each season in it,  we the coefficient 3rd won't get the play off game for Europa leauge for much longer.

26 minutes ago, CCB III said:

We were slow as fuck today. Played with hardly any speed, not how he himself wants to play. 

We should fuck the ball clean off and just be a counter attacking side. It's what works best, we were totally clueless with the ball tonight. 

Back 3 were just passing square to each other, slowly, then one of them just lumped it forward. 
A hard watch

That was two poor teams tonight.

Struggling to see why we stuck with 3 at the back after they scored, when they sat back & played one up front.  
A back 4 with two centre halves was the way to go, surely? 

Robson saying “we dominated them” was just wrong. 

1 hour ago, minijc said:

Had more of the ball but would have liked us to play a bit quicker, compared to other games this season and last, we have been more than alright.

Let’s be brutally honest, we were fucking shite against the worst team we’ll ever play in a group stage match 

• Upvote 10

Positives: 

Miovski is a brilliant footballer, maybe the best player in this country right now. A joy to watch.

Barron sped the game up and opened it up, he was the right man.

Helsinki are vastly more experienced in Europe than us, and seeded above us.

Negatives:

We were so so slow in the build up (except for Barron). 

The game was ours for the taking, and we didn't take it. Except for the 10 mins when Jenson was off and the 15 mins up to their goal, we were the better team.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Roberto said:

Aye semi in that mould with how I'm posting also this evening.

Duks missed chance bothered me and will for a little while cause that's the 3 points there and what a buzz going into the next round of games.

We now have to go for the 3 points against paok and perhaps sneak STEAL something in Greece.

I do also believe we will beat this Helsinki away.

I'm also very fucking deluded.

I'm sorta feeling the same, that Duk chance goes in and we have a chance to be top of the group at the halfway stage by beating PAOK at home.

• Haha 1
30 minutes ago, NEM said:

Frustrating night, huge chance blown but at least we had 26 shots against Hacken!

Going to be an extremely frustrating season I think. With far more let downs than highs.

Hun win will probably be highlight of the season.

Really not impressed or optimistic about this team right now. More often than not found wanting & still needs a few major improvements in January to hopefully salvage the domestic season if it’s not too late by then