Aberdeen 2 - 3 PAOK

3 hours ago, Roberto said:

I'm picking and choosing but mostly during the 'pre season' qualifying games it's just folk chatting and catching up with their fitba pals... no atmosphere as such. Least the young lads are making effort. But this 'atmosphere' fairytale on European nights your speaking of didn't really exist. It's just you getting old and being a moaning cunt.

Warning : old cunt alert

It certainly existed in the 80's. And not just against Bayern......pretty much any European game had the Pitt rocking. The Beveren game in 83 (after Fergie knocked back der hun) and Ujpest Dozsa in 84 were amazing atmospheres. 

Two reasons for it I suppose. The first being that we were really feckin good, but the second was that a European game in these days was really a special event. No live TV, this was everybody's chance to watch something different. 

Ahhhh, the good old days. It'll bring a tear to a glass eye. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Schapenneuker said:

It certainly existed in the 80's. And not just against Bayern......pretty much any European game had the Pitt rocking. The Beveren game in 83 (after Fergie knocked back der hun) and Ujpest Dozsa in 84 were amazing atmospheres. 

Two reasons for it I suppose. The first being that we were really feckin good, but the second was that a European game in these days was really a special event. No live TV, this was everybody's chance to watch something different. 

Yeah and football has changed dramatically at Pittodrie since then, hence why I commend the young team as much as I do.

33 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

Society in this country has been slowly conditioned to be a bunch of somber dweebs. Add in an aging population and it doesn’t help. I think there is going to be an uptick in the young adult population soon so crowds might pick up a little. Look at Celtic park tonight it’s nothing like 10/25 years ago too.

That’s partly because the Tims have been conditioned to getting horsed in Europe the last 10 years or so.

The great home record is a total myth now & hasn’t been the case for a decade. 
They expect to be beaten.

Like we do when we come up against anything resembling competency in Europe. 

Just now, Betty Swallicks said:

You claim you hardly go to games (but can get tickets for any game nae bother 🙄) so I could pick numerous games and you'd just disagree but with no evidence. 

Ah still dumbing down and diverting.

Notice how no one has agreed with you 'in general'.

I went to the majority of all European games at home up until more recently (this season) so... I think I'd know what I'm talking about.

You talking about the 80s, it being better in general? 

Just now, Roberto said:

Ah still dumbing down and diverting.

Notice how no one has agreed with you 'in general'.

I went to the majority of all European games at home up until more recently (this season) so... I think I'd know what I'm talking about.

You talking about the 80s, it being better in general? 

Read this slowly, the atmosphere at Helsinki was worse that other European games (including recent ones). 

It was bollocks. I think virtually everyone (perhaps not you 🙄) agrees with that. 

The folk at the front o The Merkland even agree and have changed their location for tomorrow night. 

On the plus side they'll now be less visible. 

3 minutes ago, Betty Swallicks said:

Read this slowly, the atmosphere at Helsinki was worse that other European games (including recent ones). 

It was bollocks. I think virtually everyone (perhaps not you 🙄) agrees with that. 

The folk at the front o The Merkland even agree and have changed their location for tomorrow night. 

On the plus side they'll now be less visible. 

Ah so you can't answer properly.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Betty Swallicks said:

WHERESMYBACKUP?!?!

IMSHITTINGMYSEL!!!

Numerous. 

I'm glad you're shitting yourself. Cause I'd burst you ya cunt.

Anyways, since the childish games can come to an end now, and we've got that out the way... adult conversation time, yeah?

What games? Specifics please? 

Remember... adult time.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Betty Swallicks said:

In general the atmosphere at European games was better than it was v Helsinki. 

I think we can agree that's a fact. 

This is quite funny.

We can agree that there have been better European game atmospheres before the Helsinki one? Aye, ok, I'll agree and I'm sure we all can 😂

I think though a better (but equally pointless) statement would be - some European games have had better atmospheres than others. 

Pittodrie atmospheres have at least in my experience, been directly proportional to the quality of performance on the park. In general.

As for the merkland, it is my opinion that since the family section was finally moved out of it the atmosphere has improved, again generally speaking. I don't know anyone that thinks differently.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Schapenneuker said:

There was a different dynamic back then and was louder because you had the rivalry between "the left side" and the "centre boys"(yours truly) in the beach end starting the songs and trying to be louder than one another. But on European nights rivalry was put aside and sung as one, with "South stand, South stand give us a song" belted out every so often to get them on board as well. Happy days 🙂.

No idea if he's still alive ( as used to chain smoke tabs) but the guy who used to start all the songs in the centre section of the beach end looked like a cross between Willie Miller and the leader of the Hair Bear bunch 🤣.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Cambridge Red said:

There was a different dynamic back then and was louder because you had the rivalry between "the left side" and the "centre boys"(yours truly) in the beach end starting the songs and trying to be louder than one another. But on European nights rivalry was put aside and sung as one, with "South stand, South stand give us a song" belted out every so often to get them on board as well. Happy days 🙂.

No idea if he's still alive ( as used to chain smoke tabs) but the guy who used to start all the songs in the centre section of the beach end looked like a cross between Willie Miller and the leader of the Hair Bear bunch 🤣.

There isn't enough of these reminiscing times on here IMO.

An 86 baby I thoroughly enjoy reading about times before I was a thought.

we are gonna end up close to the helsinki attendance despite all the chat.

merkland sold out

1 ticket left in the Main

40odd in RDS lower 

520 in South

600 in upper deck

We ended up around 400-500 short of a home sell out against Helsinki plus there was fuck all away fans for that one