Robsonball

34 minutes ago, G man said:

Very true. He states they have only been able to train for 2 hours in the last 10 days. Many contributors have questioned Robson when he mentions the lack of time to train.

We made up for it with all those double and triple sessions in pre-season though. So that excuse doesn't count

2 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

I have said this for months now, but something is clearly off, because this is not an old team by any means and professional players who are in the prime of their career should not be struggling like this. What the hell are these new training facilities for? 

I said a while back that each new manager has came in and said the players were lacking in fitness, the same people have remained in those positions so it's clear to me we need an overhaul of the sports science department.

• Upvote 2
19 minutes ago, Johnnyred1 said:

If Barry doesn't realise the benefits of the formation he played against County going forward, and then tinkers back to 3 at the back, then it will be a nail in his coffin. You could see the players relishing playing in that game, especially the midfield. They were always looking to pass to feet. A rare sight indeed.

Yep passing to feet, beats needing wings and a rocket attached to your bum playing Robson hoofball. 

36 minutes ago, minijc said:

I said a while back that each new manager has came in and said the players were lacking in fitness, the same people have remained in those positions so it's clear to me we need an overhaul of the sports science department.

Graham Kirk  been lingering around since McInnes took him in. 

While on the topic of staff, how has Samson managed to keep a role, he cant even hit the target in pre match warm ups let alone coach a goalkeeper.

59 minutes ago, minijc said:

Is it still the guy Kirk who McInnes took here with him?

2 hours ago, Johnnyred1 said:

"You could see the players relishing playing in that game, especially the midfield. They were always looking to pass to feet. A rare sight indeed"

Agree with that. It really made all the difference. No huge gaps between midfield and defence, looked more like a unit. Barrons energy helped too. He seemed keen to keep the pace up, even getting onto Roos when he was titting around & slowing the tempo.

County weren't up to much on the day & tougher tests ahead. If he reverts to 3/5 at the back against the cheeks and even hearts, it will be end if he doesn't take any points I'd reckon. 

3 hours ago, minijc said:

Ok then, why were we largely shit in games then?

Another concern here is, if we haven't been able to train, why have so many players looked 'off it' and leggy, surely no training would mean more rest?  It's just excuse after excuse with him, no wonder patience is running low with him amongst some at the club.  

Klopp, Moyes ,Rodgers, Guardiola have all commented on the difficulty European and domestic games being so close together impacts on their squads. I am not making excuses for anyone just stating facts. Again your insider info? in your last sentence?😂

9 minutes ago, G man said:

Klopp, Moyes ,Rodgers, Guardiola have all commented on the difficulty European and domestic games being so close together impacts on their squads. I am not making excuses for anyone just stating facts. Again your insider info? in your last sentence?😂

Every single manager knows their schedule well in advance, it's a really weak excuse whether it's Robson or Klopp saying it.

3 hours ago, G man said:

When the European fixtures started we had only lost one game and that was at home to Celtic.

Other than Celtic we'd only played Livingston & Stirling Albion prior to the first leg with Hacken. Hardly a murderers row. 

• Haha 2
38 minutes ago, minijc said:

Every single manager knows their schedule well in advance, it's a really weak excuse whether it's Robson or Klopp saying it.

Never said l was agreeing with them just highlighting what they had said.

1 hour ago, minijc said:

Absolutely bugs me this complaint from all managers! You have people working 2/3 jobs to pay the bills and these footballers , some on scary money moaning for 3 games in 10 days

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Johnnyred1 said:

If Barry doesn't realise the benefits of the formation he played against County going forward, and then tinkers back to 3 at the back, then it will be a nail in his coffin. You could see the players relishing playing in that game, especially the midfield. They were always looking to pass to feet. A rare sight indeed.

I wonder if it was the players who insisted on the change.

They might have had an “all cards on the table” type discussion after the previous game and maybe the players told him they felt they were more suited to a back 4.

3 hours ago, Helmet said:

I wonder if it was the players who insisted on the change.

They might have had an “all cards on the table” type discussion after the previous game and maybe the players told him they felt they were more suited to a back 4.

I'd say it's a weak manager who lets his players tell him what formation to play, If they're going to run the team by consensus then what's the point of having a manager? Just put everything to a vote. 

Sack him, though. That's the important thing. 

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Ke1t said:

I'd say it's a weak manager who lets his players tell him what formation to play, If they're going to run the team by consensus then what's the point of having a manager? Just put everything to a vote. 

Sack him, though. That's the important thing. 

It happens though I think. Senior players discuss with the team then approach the manager to “delicately suggest” the players would like to change to a more familiar formation.

And totally agree it’s a complete failure of the manager if that’s what’s happening.

I’ll be glad when the interim management period is finished and we appoint an actual manager.

There's lots of examples of teams having crisis meetings and the manager listening to the players and changing things as a result. 

I think it's a positive attribute of a manager, to be able to listen to their team and take their views as part of decision making. 

It's not the 1800s any more. 

• Upvote 3
39 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

There's lots of examples of teams having crisis meetings and the manager listening to the players and changing things as a result. 

I think it's a positive attribute of a manager, to be able to listen to their team and take their views as part of decision making. 

Correct. Or the 1980s for that matter.

I can quite imagine Shinnie asking for a chat if he felt the formation was leaving him pulled from pillar to post and struggling to influence matches, or if other players had told him that.

Objectively, It would be a sign of a good manager that listens, takes things on board and than adapts their methods accordingly.

I can imagine that Jim Goodwin perhaps didn't and that might be why the players downed tools under him.

47 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

If the manager sets out with that approach from day one and takes on board views of senior players then great.

If the team performances have been shite for months and then the players have to go to the manager and point a few things out to him - that’s not good management imo, that’s a failure of management.

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Examples?

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

The chairman needs to listen to the fans and inform  Robson his time is out.  

No Barry, just attending cup finals is not enough. 1 goal in the last 7 finals with only 1 won - wasting fans time and money, and just "having a day out" isn't enough. Finishing 3rd is lame as well - Villa, Girona, Leverkusen all challenging for the titles in leagues where they are up against mammoth clubs like City, Madrid and Bayern - It's no excuse to just use the financial gap all the time and limit aims/goals. Get him out and this "happy to be involved" attitude.

• Dildo 1

Maybe they don’t trust the manager to spend more money at this point.

Look at some of the squad additions we added this year that haven’t been given game time- a lot of money wasted on Williams, Dadia and Gueye for example.

Im sure they’ll be looking at one or two players but I can’t be surprised if they are wondering if it’s really worth bringing in more for them to sit in the bench all season while the same 11 players are used win, lose or draw.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Helmet said:

Maybe they don’t trust the manager to spend more money at this point.

Look at some of the squad additions we added this year that haven’t been given game time- a lot of money wasted on Williams, Dadia and Gueye for example.

Im sure they’ll be looking at one or two players but I can’t be surprised if they are wondering if it’s really worth bringing in more for them to sit in the bench all season while the same 11 players are used win, lose or draw.

I doubt Robson has a huge amount of influence over who's signed. Maybe which positions he feels need prioritised in the squad, but not much on specific personnel.

I doubt he spends much time watching Israeli league football, for example.