Robsonball

1 hour ago, Dandyesque said:

I doubt Robson has a huge amount of influence over who's signed. Maybe which positions he feels need prioritised in the squad, but not much on specific personnel.

I doubt he spends much time watching Israeli league football, for example.

Yep.

But he’ll have a say on what he needs and input on the final decision.

• Upvote 1

I still think it's strange we have gone with a back 3/5 system despite signing only one wingback (McGarry).

We have Devlin doing well in the position, but he's the only one suited to it.

Makes me wonder if the back 3 was always intended or if Robson felt he had to carry over the system from last season.

4 hours ago, ERNIE said:

Recruitment seems very Jekyll and Hyde.Dont know who has the final say but how the same process gets Miovski Duk Clarkson Roos Devlin Mcgrath as gets Williams Or  Dadia Habeye and a few others mystifies me.

Think it's the same at every club. 

It doesn't help when we've needed so many players every summer. 

We've brought in double figures in each of the last 3 summer windows across all positions which increases the overall risk. 

Much better if we get to a place when we're looking for 3 or 4 in specific positions.  Means we don't have to spread the transfer kitty so far for a start so you can hopefully get better value. 

10 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It doesn't help when we've needed so many players every summer. 

We've brought in double figures in each of the last 3 summer windows across all positions which increases the overall risk. 

Much better if we get to a place when we're looking for 3 or 4 in specific positions.  Means we don't have to spread the transfer kitty so far for a start so you can hopefully get better value. 

It doesn't help that our manager is a donkey either.

12 hours ago, Helmet said:

Maybe they don’t trust the manager to spend more money at this point.

Look at some of the squad additions we added this year that haven’t been given game time- a lot of money wasted on Williams, Dadia and Gueye for example.

Im sure they’ll be looking at one or two players but I can’t be surprised if they are wondering if it’s really worth bringing in more for them to sit in the bench all season while the same 11 players are used win, lose or draw.

I think there will be a loan or two coming in and possibly a free transfer i doubt we'll spend anything, I do think there will be a few exits though,  maybe Barron if the money is right considering he has 6 months left.  

There must also be a little doubt in the minds of the board with Robson, we are in a poor position in the league and a piss poor performance in the cup final.  Beating Clyde will do no more than tick a box for me as we should be beating them every day of the week with all respect and Robson should not be looking for praise

1 hour ago, Ke1t said:

Can't blame the board if they're not giving him any cash. 

There's a flip side to that. Why keep him on if that's how they feel?

I think as always we're at the mercy of waiting until 'bigger clubs' move before we act. Especially where loans are concerned.

Feels likely we're going to lose more than we'll gain which is worrying.

• Upvote 2
36 minutes ago, RAZOR said:

There's a flip side to that. Why keep him on if that's how they feel?

I think as always we're at the mercy of waiting until 'bigger clubs' move before we act. Especially where loans are concerned.

Feels likely we're going to lose more than we'll gain which is worrying.

I mean, we have a bit of a track record of hanging on to managers who aren't performing. 

Didn't we fire Calderwood less than a year into a 3 year contract? McInnes outstayed his welcome. Brown was just dreadful for three seasons. McGhee was stupendously bad. Then there's the more recent clownshows like Glass and Goodwin, who more than proved they were hopeless, and yet we persisted with them. 

We just seem to let them stick around in the vain hope that maybe they'll improve. 

As far as playing staff is concerned, I'd hope we are now seen as a good option for up and coming players who want to play in better leagues but just need the exposure to sell themselves. We're the perfect stepping stone club for an ambitious player who wants to be noticed. 

• Downvote 1
2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We're over budget and making an operating loss. Our wage to turnover ratio is pretty high. 

Can't see us spending much if anything this window. Maybe an early pre contract and a couple of loans. 

Unless we sell Miovski. Which I'd rather we didn't. 

Frightening, isn't it? 

Bloated squad that the manager views a lot of as unplayable. 

Brutal stuff. Ran by idiots. 

34 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Frightening, isn't it? 

Bloated squad that the manager views a lot of as unplayable. 

Brutal stuff. Ran by idiots. 

Aye, it's a mess of a squad. 

I'm always in favour of our young players getting opportunities but if you'd told me we would sign 13 or 14 players in the summer and Mackenzie, Barron and Polvara would be amongst our best starting options in their respective positions I wouldn't have believed you. 

We've brought in about 40 players in the last 3 summer windows combined, about 50 players total in the last 2.5 years and we've still got a shit squad, mental stuff. 

7 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye, it's a mess of a squad. 

I'm always in favour of our young players getting opportunities but if you'd told me we would sign 13 or 14 players in the summer and Mackenzie, Barron and Polvara would be amongst our best starting options in their respective positions I wouldn't have believed you. 

We've brought in about 40 players in the last 3 summer windows combined, about 50 players total in the last 2.5 years and we've still got a shit squad, mental stuff.

We have had squads in far worse nick to be fair. We have plenty of good players at the club and should be able to pick a strong team by the leagues standards every week. The manager just doesn’t seem to know what to do with them so far and has been obsessed with a crap 5 defender formation. 

if we were signing anyone it would be nice to get a winger in to hopefully show we are switching from the previous tactics. Maybe the old Celtic loan classic. Get James forest in then send him back to Celtic 4 times the player like Christie and scales 🥲

On 1/14/2024 at 1:17 AM, Ke1t said:

I mean, we have a bit of a track record of hanging on to managers who aren't performing. 

Didn't we fire Calderwood less than a year into a 3 year contract? McInnes outstayed his welcome. Brown was just dreadful for three seasons. McGhee was stupendously bad. Then there's the more recent clownshows like Glass and Goodwin, who more than proved they were hopeless, and yet we persisted with them. 

We just seem to let them stick around in the vain hope that maybe they'll improve. 

As far as playing staff is concerned, I'd hope we are now seen as a good option for up and coming players who want to play in better leagues but just need the exposure to sell themselves. We're the perfect stepping stone club for an ambitious player who wants to be noticed. 

Mcinnes was  a good manager.A  mistake to sack him and  The Doc of course.

3 hours ago, ERNIE said:

Mcinnes was  a good manager.A  mistake to sack him and  The Doc of course.

Yes he was. 

And then he wasn't.

The only mistake was we didn't fire him aff the roof two seasons earlier. 

14 minutes ago, Dandyesque said:

Which would have given us 5 managers in 5 years. Nice and easy to remember. 

Not ideal, but if we keep hiring incompetent managers the only solution is to keep firing incompetent managers until we find one who knows wtf he's doing. 

Been a while since we hired one of them.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Not ideal, but if we keep hiring incompetent managers the only solution is to keep firing incompetent managers until we find one who knows wtf he's doing. 

Been a while since we hired one of them.

It is.

Probably the last one was the one you just went back in time and sacked even earlier. 

It's really important that either Robson turns things round or the next appointment is bang on.

We could turn into Hibs otherwise. 100 and how many years was it for them?