Robsonball

8 hours ago, RUL said:

I said it after hibs and paok. We are a horrible side to watch. But if you get results fans forget how awful the football is.

If we win the league cup I might wrap up my season card because that will secure Robson another 18 months minimum. Even if we don’t, he carries on until sacked and then Cormack etc appoint another shite manager with Steven Gunn squandering money all over the place. 

Nothing changes and it’s depressing as fuck. 

Aye, it’s not something I’m proud to say but we’d have been better off long term losing to Hibs. 

• Upvote 1

There comes a time when patience is over with players, tactics,  manager and the overall strategy and stewardship of a club. Firstly, players like McKenzie, Clarkson, Poldova and those that don't get a sniff of the first team will not improve this team. The odd good game shouldn't cut it. Squandering a good budget on failure at every level is unforgivable. That lies at Cormacks door. His failure with the recruitment department side of things starts the downward spiral. Robson is slowly getting found out with indecision to balance necessary players with fringe players who can contribute and also his tactics. Time will tell if he can be ruthless in binning failures. Either way we are way off finding that magic formula that brings consistency. We have no width and have a midfield that is slow and lacks penetrative runs to create chances. A shit fest of a season awaits.

I have had my doubts of Robson and his tactics since the start but kept hoping that maybe I was just being too negative and we were just going through a phase of transition.

However I don’t really see what we are trying to transition too. As others have said we don’t try and keep the ball or play attacking football.

We are set up as a defensive counter attack team which is fine in principle albeit not what I would want to see. In practice however we are a defensive team that can’t defend and since the majority of teams don’t play attacking football we have limited counter attacks.

It needs to change but I think Robson is too stubborn to do so. He also seems to be able to pull a result out just when he needs it usually against a team that is out of form (county, rangers, Motherwell) which then in his eyes justifies his eye bleeding tactics.

Lastly his use of subs and the squad is truly shocking. We are now in November and Sokler, Gaye, Dadia, Vinnie, Williams, Milne and MacDonald are still to get any significant game time. They will now all have limited match sharpness effecting their ability to have any impact 

Robson may not rate any of them but when you are constantly bleating about tiredness and too many games surely it makes sense to rotate the squad let’s face it’s not like results could get worse

I don’t want another manager sacked but I can’t see Robson turning this round or changing tactics. 

He's stubbornly wedded to playing 3 centre backs no matter what, even when it's obvious that going with 2 would be the better option.  Any good results we've had this season have been in spite of the formation rather than because of it.  More often than not been due to grinding out a result rather than playing particularly good football.  Mostly play long ball pish.  Constantly repeats the same mistakes, and incapable of rotating and managing the squad properly.  Should be a review of the whole footballing structure at the club, starting at the top with Gunn, Burrows etc.

Doohan

Dadia     Williams   McDonald   (Hayes?)

Polvara     Barron

McGrath

Vinny             Gueyi              Sokler

Would this 11 have done worse yesterday?

In no way am I saying we should have done this - and our midfield is pretty settled/interchangeable... but Barry has options - players who would be going out there to stake their claim for a place in the squad. 

42 minutes ago, McPhee123 said:

Doohan

Dadia     Williams   McDonald   (Hayes?)

Polvara     Barron

McGrath

Vinny             Gueyi              Sokler

Would this 11 have done worse yesterday?

In no way am I saying we should have done this - and our midfield is pretty settled/interchangeable... but Barry has options - players who would be going out there to stake their claim for a place in the squad. 

It would’ve been 10-0

57 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

I don’t think we’ll see the back of him until after the cup final. 

And a bit beyond that I fear. 

As someone said, as horrible as it is to say, a deserved defeat in the semi-final might’ve been a good thing to speed up the inevitable. 
Because how many times do managers turn it around when it gets this toxic? 

What a fucking depressing thought that is, watching us humping the ball forward, relying on luck to win games for another few months.

5 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

And a bit beyond that I fear. 

As someone said, as horrible as it is to say, a deserved defeat in the semi-final might’ve been a good thing to speed up the inevitable. 
Because how many times do managers turn it around when it gets this toxic? 

What a fucking depressing thought that is, watching us humping the ball forward, relying on luck to win games for another few months.

🙃

I reckon we're still miles away from him getting the dunt.

I'm surprised the media haven't started to turn on him yet. A couple of good performances in Europe seem to be keeping them quiet on the issue.  They're usually the first to sense the beginning of the end.

And we haven't yet had the phase where players come out and talk about how great his training is and the great team spirit he creates, how they are all behind him and determined to get it right for the fans.

Then there's the phase where Burrows and/or Cormack publicly back him as the man to take the club forward.  He's doing great work "behind the scenes".

We might have got through all that before Christmas if poor form continues but it's complicated by the final.

There's six more games to go until then.  Even if he loses them all they'll still give him the day at Hampden.

1 minute ago, RabidGiraffe said:

I'm surprised the media haven't started to turn on him yet. A couple of good performances in Europe seem to be keeping them quiet on the issue.  They're usually the first to sense the beginning of the end.

And we haven't yet had the phase where players come out and talk about how great his training is and the great team spirit he creates, how they are all behind him and determined to get it right for the fans.

Then there's the phase where Burrows and/or Cormack publicly back him as the man to take the club forward.  He's doing great work "behind the scenes".

We might have got through all that before Christmas if poor form continues but it's complicated by the final.

There's six more games to go until then.  Even if he loses them all they'll still give him the day at Hampden.

Dave was doing this on the Twitter after the game in Greece...

Thank you again for your brilliant support of Barry and the boys. It’s truly appreciated. Hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable trip. We’ve got a cracking but really tough schedule ahead through December. The boys want nothing more than to put a smile on our faces. The squad is gelling, the harmony in the dressing room is superb, led by our captain, and the boys are bought into and enjoying the systems, training and leadership of Barry, Steve and the coaching team. Thank you again 👏👏👏 and Stand Free!

16 minutes ago, RabidGiraffe said:

Didn't hear it but apparently God was absolutely slating the useless cunt on the wireless yesterday.  He's already been ripped to bits on Sportscene a few times this season.  Surely the journo wankers in the papers can't be far behind 

4 minutes ago, NEM said:

Didn't hear it but apparently God was absolutely slating the useless cunt on the wireless yesterday.  He's already been ripped to bits on Sportscene a few times this season.  Surely the journo wankers in the papers can't be far behind 

European Group stage football and the Cup Final are providing Robson with a degree of protection. Once they're behind us, the media pressure will start to ramp up. 

He’s pretty much already gone as he’s lost the majority of fans, just Cormack has not worked it out yet. To survive he needs to win the next 7 or 8 games, including the cup, whilst transitioning to a more attractive style of play - I hope this happens, but have my doubts…

More concerning is why he was even allowed to coach the youths. If Cormack is serious about the strategy playing fast attacking football with a mix of imported and local talent, we need to local talent not being coached by a long ball merchant.

in short, he shouldn’t have been near the youths and Cormack and co should have been contingency planning for Goodwin long before he went as his dismissal was inevitable a long time before he went too!

38 minutes ago, NEM said:

I caught some of Willie M's thoughts. You could tell at times he was holding things back at the time as well. Had to bite his tongue 

13 hours ago, donswin1983 said:

Those are scary. The shots bit isn’t surprising, albeit the conversion must be decent. Well done Miovski.

We don’t have much of the ball in games, our retention of the ball when we do is terrible and by and large we boot it long. As you say, not playing to our attacking strengths or utilising the good footballers we have, particularly in the middle of the pitch.

Constantly turning the ball over just creates that defensive pressure. We have weakness in stopping crosses and defending them, including the goalie. It’s fucking bonkers! Our tactics don’t give our strengths a chance (and i Would imagine that conversion of chances is decent) and defensively we’re a totally liability. 
Get plenty of opportunity to showcase that liability too.

Good points, which are all obvious for anyone with two eyes, except Robson it seems.

Barron, Clarkson, Polvara, McGrath are all excellent on the ball, yet we never retain possession or zip it about the way we should be doing. Not because they're not capable, but simply because they're being instructed to do something different. 

Duk and Miovski are two of the best strikers we've had in the last 30 years but they hardly see any of the ball in attacking positions.

Everything is built around this "quick transition" idea - let the opponents have the ball, intercept it and hit them on the break with a couple of direct balls forward. When it works it's great, but it's not a viable main strategy. We need to have some kind of plan for what we're going to do in possession, not just what to do when we win it back and counter attack.