Rogue Traders - roofers

Fiscal depute Peter Finnon said a couple in their 60s in Portlethen had contacted Granite Roofing Ltd in April 2022 to fix a problem with their roof.

Docherty, who lied and said his name was Tom, kept upping the price of the work and eventually turned aggressive turned up and a price of £2,400 was agreed for the work.

Despite a price of £2,400 being initially agreed, Docherty told the couple further work was required and they agreed to pay him £12,000.

Docherty was paid £10,000 in cash, but went on to advise even more work was needed and a total cost soared to £32,000.

However, when the work was completed, the couple had concerns about it and raised these with Docherty on April 29.

What a cunt, but also, at what point would you opt for a second opinion?

7 minutes ago, Edwin Starr said:

I know a couple of roofer's who do jobs a bit cheaper for cash.

Not sure if they pay taxes after payment but I can highly recommend them.

I've currently got either hired and doing work, or supplying quotes to do imminent work... Electrician, Plumber, Heating Engineer, Sidings Company, Roofing company, and a Tiler. 

I can highly recommend just renting. 

Just now, Ke1t said:

I've currently got either hired and doing work, or supplying quotes to do imminent work... Electrician, Plumber, Heating Engineer, Sidings Company, Roofing company, and a Tiler. 

I can highly recommend just renting. 

What heating work are you getting done Kelt?

11 minutes ago, Edwin Starr said:

What heating work are you getting done Kelt?

Gas line getting replaced so it's up to code, also a new boiler... currently sitting here with no heating except for a few space heaters. Guy came in to fix a problem with an escape valve and ended up telling us we needed a new boiler. So, that's magic. 

To be fair it does need replaced. Thing we have now is 40 years old. 

16 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Gas line getting replaced so it's up to code, also a new boiler... currently sitting here with no heating except for a few space heaters. Guy came in to fix a problem with an escape valve and ended up telling us we needed a new boiler. So, that's magic. 

To be fair it does need replaced. Thing we have now is 40 years old. 

What is the name of the boiler you have and what make is the new one your getting Kelt.

1 minute ago, Edwin Starr said:

What is the name of the boiler you have and what make is the new one your getting Kelt.

I've no idea what I currently have, but it's a maze of pipes, zone valves, pumps, and pressure release valves. I guess 40 years ago aesthetics weren't considered when it came to boilers.

The new one is some sweet, enclosed blue number... A Burnham Series 3, 115,000 BTUs, according to the brochure they left me. 

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

I've no idea what I currently have, but it's a maze of pipes, zone valves, pumps, and pressure release valves. I guess 40 years ago aesthetics weren't considered when it came to boilers.

The new one is some sweet, enclosed blue number... A Burnham Series 3, 115,000 BTUs, according to the brochure they left me. 

spacer.png

That's more American looking than Dolly Parton, the star spangled banner and a Ford F150 put together. 

10 hours ago, ericblack4boss said:

He will do as best as he can 

Just find someone who is yoking a slew,give them 20 quid, and get them to bury it

That’s what happened to me - taking down an internal wall, found it was made of asbestos sheeting so stopped work, went to the pub and happened to mention it - local farmer round the next day, wall down, asbestos sheets away - I never asked how he disposed of the materials

2 hours ago, sigh said:

That’s what happened to me - taking down an internal wall, found it was made of asbestos sheeting so stopped work, went to the pub and happened to mention it - local farmer round the next day, wall down, asbestos sheets away - I never asked how he disposed of the materials

I hope you paid the farmer, sounds a top bloke.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, sigh said:

Pint?

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, sigh said:

Either fed it to the pigs or dumped it in the river, I'd hazard. 

On 2/10/2024 at 10:13 AM, milne_afc said:

Fiscal depute Peter Finnon said a couple in their 60s in Portlethen had contacted Granite Roofing Ltd in April 2022 to fix a problem with their roof.

Docherty, who lied and said his name was Tom, kept upping the price of the work and eventually turned aggressive turned up and a price of £2,400 was agreed for the work.

Despite a price of £2,400 being initially agreed, Docherty told the couple further work was required and they agreed to pay him £12,000.

Docherty was paid £10,000 in cash, but went on to advise even more work was needed and a total cost soared to £32,000.

However, when the work was completed, the couple had concerns about it and raised these with Docherty on April 29.

What a cunt, but also, at what point would you opt for a second opinion?

Upon the initial work, which was agreed upon to form the contract, being completed.

22 hours ago, Edwin Starr said:

Suppose but you can never be sure.

If you were given an invoice for the works upon completion and paid for the goods required and services rendered by cash, then perhaps it'll go through the books.

However, like @manboobs109quite rightly says, cash is (usually) tax-free or part of the cash payment is tax-free as generally paying by this method to a contractor enables them to cook their books without leaving a trail.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, sigh said:

Dispose of asbestos via an incinerator or digging a hole in a farmer's field, with or without his consent, and covering it with topsoil and cow dung.