Cormack Thread

On 1/24/2024 at 10:33 PM, Rico1903 said:

Cormack binned McInnes because of the football he had us playing and the fact that he only won one trophy. 

I’d love him to explain why he thinks things are better now. 

The issue isn’t Robson. The issue is Cormack and the FMB. It’s going to come down to fan pressure now. Until the fans make it crystal clear to Cormack that they aren’t happy with him, the DoF and the FMB nothing will change any time soon.  

Did he?

Or was it because mcinnes wasn't the type to take any shit off him?

Can we stop with the McInnes chat? He was sacked three years ago come March. Decent manager, no more and the time had come for change.

His status is elevated because the post Ferguson story of Aberdeen is largely terrible managerial appointments. How many managers have we appointed who were much sought after at that time? How many managers have we sacked who've gone on to achieve anything?

Sacking McInnes was one of the very few things he’s got right. Wouldn’t want him back. Only reason he comes up is the shit we’ve been given since. Appoint a manager with the relevant experience a club our size deserves, give him the budget the last 3 have had & nobody makes mention of Hun DMC.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Dildo 2
24 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Did he?

Or was it because mcinnes wasn't the type to take any shit off him?

Well, McInnes was sacked and those were the reasons Cormack publicly gave.

You may be right but I haven’t heard anything directly from either McInnes or Cormack to indicate that‘s why he was sacked. 

7 hours ago, elephantstone78 said:

I’m beginning to my have my doubts that someone who sacks the best manager we have had in a generation, replaces him with an untried lower tier coach in the USA, punts him to replace him with a mid table patter merchant, refuses to punt him after the most embarrassing result in Scottish football history and then finally replaces him with another untried youth coach, might not really be very good at this chairmanship lark. 

Strong possibility we get relegated within the next three years. 

People talk about how much we’ve spent as if he’s been shelling out himself. 
The only time he’s done that is when he bought Hernandez and tried pretend it wasn’t some dodgy deal on behalf of Atlanta. He then got his money back when his subterfuge shenanigans were completed.  

We got, what, £2M for mccrorie, £3M for McKenna, £3M for Ferguson (all Mcinnes bought or developed players), £3M for Ramsey and £1M for Ramadani and that’s discounting the Euro money and we have spent a max £2M buying in a load of shite out with Miovski. 

Our only other decent signings have been freebies. 

The guy is a millstone dragging us down. 

A perfect summary of the Dave Cormack tenure as Chairman.

44 minutes ago, Dons21 said:

Sacking McInnes was one of the very few things he’s got right. Wouldn’t want him back. Only reason he comes up is the shit we’ve been given since. Appoint a manager with the relevant experience a club our size deserves, give him the budget the last 3 have had & nobody makes mention of Hun DMC.

Bravo, sir! The ending of the McInnes era has shades of when we parted company with Calderwood. Yes, McGhee failed and Brown achieved little more than keeping us up, but the failure to appoint the right successor didn't negate the fact Calderwood's time was up. Similarly, McInnes was out of ideas (and let's be brutally honest, if he's such a wonderful manager, as opposed to a decent one, why is he at Kilmarnock and not a good English Championship side?) and if Cormack hadn't made such a pig's ear of things THREE TIMES in quick succession, we would never have looked back. 

• Upvote 2
  • Dildo 2
13 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Bravo, sir! The ending of the McInnes era has shades of when we parted company with Calderwood. Yes, McGhee failed and Brown achieved little more than keeping us up, but the failure to appoint the right successor didn't negate the fact Calderwood's time was up. Similarly, McInnes was out of ideas (and let's be brutally honest, if he's such a wonderful manager, as opposed to a decent one, why is he at Kilmarnock and not a good English Championship side?) and if Cormack hadn't made such a pig's ear of things THREE TIMES in quick succession, we would never have looked back. 

Wow

Stinking

11 hours ago, elephantstone78 said:

I’m beginning to my have my doubts that someone who sacks the best manager we have had in a generation, replaces him with an untried lower tier coach in the USA, punts him to replace him with a mid table patter merchant, refuses to punt him after the most embarrassing result in Scottish football history and then finally replaces him with another untried youth coach, might not really be very good at this chairmanship lark. 

The only time he’s done that is when he bought Hernandez and tried pretend it wasn’t some dodgy deal on behalf of Atlanta. He then got his money back when his subterfuge shenanigans were completed.  

We got, what, £2M for mccrorie, £3M for McKenna, £3M for Ferguson (all Mcinnes bought or developed players), £3M for Ramsey and £1M for Ramadani and that’s discounting the Euro money and we have spent a max £2M buying in a load of shite out with Miovski. 

Ramsay was £4.6 million and there’s been a few quid in add ons for McKenna as well 

14 hours ago, elephantstone78 said:

Yes.It was only the right decision to sack Mcinnes if Cormack had brought in somebody better.Given Mcinnes track record the odds were always against that happening.

• Upvote 1

I don’t think Cormack is going anywhere and he’s not going to step down as Chairman so little point in people hoping for that - he’s not an employee of the club.

Our only hope is he steps back from whatever is going on within the club right now, looks at everything objectively, puts aside his own ego and his relationships with the team he’s built around him and really asks himself what the club needs to perform at least to the level of budget that’s being made available.

From the outside you really have to wonder at these sorts of questions:

- is Cormack too hands on with football decision making?

- does the FMB cave to Cormacks influence too easily?

- is Garner really experienced enough for his role (being a player isn’t enough, we need someone with coaching and management experience or who has been around club boardrooms for years and is knowledgeable about the football side)

- is Gunn really knowledgeable enough and have the football nous to be in the senior role he is (DoF or whatever they want to call it)

- can we afford to stick with a manager who is failing and has no previous track record of success to demonstrate he can turn this around?

- why is Milne on the FMB?

Bottom line is it’s not just the manager who’s not up to the job here, we need to change more than just the management team.

• Upvote 4
5 minutes ago, Helmet said:

I don’t think Cormack is going anywhere and he’s not going to step down as Chairman so little point in people hoping for that - he’s not an employee of the club.

Our only hope is he steps back from whatever is going on within the club right now, looks at everything objectively, puts aside his own ego and his relationships with the team he’s built around him and really asks himself what the club needs to perform at least to the level of budget that’s being made available.

- is Garner really experienced enough for his role (being a player isn’t enough, we need someone with coaching and management experience or who has been around club boardrooms for years and is knowledgeable about the football side)

- is Gunn really knowledgeable enough and have the football nous to be in the senior role he is (DoF or whatever they want to call it)

- can we afford to stick with a manager who is failing and has no previous track record of success to demonstrate he can turn this around?

Bottom line is it’s not just the manager who’s not up to the job here, we need to change more than just the management team.

In short Cormack is an egotistic puppet master who surrounds himself with barely mediocre yes men and women.

Until he wakens up and smells the coffee the club's performance on the pitch is only heading one way.

It’s Cormack that needs to completely re-evaluate his decisions at the club. The fans need to give it to him tight.

- embarrassing tweets

- tears on the tv - what other chairman gives a post match interview? Regardless of current manager being sacked

- weird rant on the radio (although I admit this  did make me laugh)

- FMB - the idea itself is ridiculous and that’s before you look at who is actually on it

- Giving Gunn DoF

- shelling out for a manager when his track record didn’t warrant it.

- hiring an inexperienced manager

- repeating his mistake by hiring a second inexperienced manager

- Hernandez debacle

He is undoing the good things he has overseen - finishing the training ground/building the community side

• Upvote 4

I'm not sure we can credit Cormack with the community stuff. 

The trust were doing a very good job before he even set foot back at the club. 

He invested some money to get the training ground finished 

He clarified his stance on the use of the term 'rowies' versus 'butteries' 

That's about it in terms of his usefulness to the club. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Helmet said:

- is Cormack too hands on with football decision making? YES 

- does the FMB cave to Cormacks influence too easily? YES 

- is Garner really experienced enough for his role (being a player isn’t enough, we need someone with coaching and management experience or who has been around club boardrooms for years and is knowledgeable about the football side) NO

- is Gunn really knowledgeable enough and have the football nous to be in the senior role he is (DoF or whatever they want to call it) NO

- can we afford to stick with a manager who is failing and has no previous track record of success to demonstrate he can turn this around? NO

- why is Milne on the FMB? FK

Cormack is a fan first and foremost. Difference is, he has invested heavily and I would assume he is more pissed than any of us because he ain't getting his monies worth. As a businessman he will continue to reflect and monitor his business model. As of now, changes need made whether it be Manager or middle management. I'm sure any change will be imminent.

What I’ve heard from a pretty reliable source is that Chris Wilder had all but agreed to take the managers job after Goodwin was bulleted, until Cormack insisted that he’d have to play an academy graduate(s) every week. Wilder told him he’d pick a team which he thought would win every week, if that included youth players then great, but he wouldn’t be doing it for the sake of it.

Cormack insisted that it’s the model that they want to go with, and unless he agreed they’d go no further. Wilder reiterated his first point, and that was that. Not sure if this was before or during Robson’s purple patch of wins.

It certainly ties in with another post in one of the other threads about Jordan Miles feeling undermined, presumably by Cormack. 

I 100% believe he loves the club & wants the best for it, but if we’re to have any sort of tangible progress he needs to employ experience in these key positions (DoF, HoR, Manager) and leave it to them along with Burrows to run the club. I can’t imagine many managers with good CVs would be happy to come to Aberdeen & be told how to do things by a glorified travel agent & a software businessman. 

• Upvote 3
21 minutes ago, pittodriepie83 said:

What I’ve heard from a pretty reliable source is that Chris Wilder had all but agreed to take the managers job after Goodwin was bulleted, until Cormack insisted that he’d have to play an academy graduate(s) every week. Wilder told him he’d pick a team which he thought would win every week, if that included youth players then great, but he wouldn’t be doing it for the sake of it.

Cormack insisted that it’s the model that they want to go with, and unless he agreed they’d go no further. Wilder reiterated his first point, and that was that. Not sure if this was before or during Robson’s purple patch of wins.

It certainly ties in with another post in one of the other threads about Jordan Miles feeling undermined, presumably by Cormack. 

I 100% believe he loves the club & wants the best for it, but if we’re to have any sort of tangible progress he needs to employ experience in these key positions (DoF, HoR, Manager) and leave it to them along with Burrows to run the club. I can’t imagine many managers with good CVs would be happy to come to Aberdeen & be told how to do things by a glorified travel agent & a software businessman. 

He let his pet from Atlanta fuck that long unbroken record so can't see why he'd be mandating it to potential managerial hires.  Sounds like shite to me

5 minutes ago, NEM said:

He let his pet from Atlanta fuck that long unbroken record so can't see why he'd be mandating it to potential managerial hires.  Sounds like shite to me

I agree it seems a bit off but it was via someone who was told by Wilder directly. Wether or not Wilder was talking shite, who knows, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Cormack is mandating things to potential managers considering he seems to employ people who’ll ask how high whenever he says jump. 

You’d think he’d be wondering why he’s had two Head of Recruitments poached but nobody fancies taking Gunner off his hands, but it seems a deliberate strategy to have his Director of Football be a complete and utter yes man. 

22 minutes ago, pittodriepie83 said:

Goodwin was sacked on January 28th, Cormack had open heart surgery a couple of weeks later. I don't think he had any part in the early fumbling of the manager hunt, I'm pretty sure it was documented at the time that Gunn, Milne and Garner would be doing the initial groundwork and speaking to prospective targets and that they would be supported by Burrows when he took up post. I believe the conversations between Wilder and the club were driven by Gunn primarily. 

As far as I'm aware the targets identified were presented to Cormack further down the line and the decision recommended by the FMB was that Robson was the preferred candidate. I don't think Burrows gets enough heat for that. Where I do blame Cormack is that rather than accept this recommendation he needed to have the strength of character to veto that and see the bigger picture in terms of what the club desperately needed was an experienced manager with a proven track record, not another rookie gamble.

2 minutes ago, VinegarStrokes said:

Goodwin was sacked on January 28th, Cormack had open heart surgery a couple of weeks later. I don't think he had any part in the early fumbling of the manager hunt, I'm pretty sure it was documented at the time that Gunn, Milne and Garner would be doing the initial groundwork and speaking to prospective targets and that they would be supported by Burrows when he took up post. I believe the conversations between Wilder and the club were driven by Gunn primarily. 

As far as I'm aware the targets identified were presented to Cormack further down the line and the decision recommended by the FMB was that Robson was the preferred candidate. I don't think Burrows gets enough heat for that. Where I do blame Cormack is that rather than accept this recommendation he needed to have the strength of character to veto that and see the bigger picture in terms of what the club desperately needed was an experienced manager with a proven track record, not another rookie gamble.

As above, it came via someone who was told directly from Wilder. Wether or not Wilder was speaking shite 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I’d say Cormacks been heavily involved in the fumbling of every manager search during his tenure, by choosing the idiots to help him search or do it on his behalf during recovery. 
Milne has previous experience of manager recruitment and got lucky with McInnes (and you could maybe add Caldwrwood in there) during his whole tenure. I don’t think Burrows’ choices at Motherwell set the heather alight, although he came in late after Goodwin had gone. Then you’re looking at Steven fucking Gunn and Willie Garner who’s last involvement in football was in 2014 for a junior side who are now defunct. 

6 minutes ago, pittodriepie83 said:

As above, it came via someone who was told directly from Wilder. Wether or not Wilder was speaking shite 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I’d say Cormacks been heavily involved in the fumbling of every manager search during his tenure, by choosing the idiots to help him search or do it on his behalf during recovery. 
Milne has previous experience of manager recruitment and got lucky with McInnes (and you could maybe add Caldwrwood in there) during his whole tenure. I don’t think Burrows’ choices at Motherwell set the heather alight, although he came in late after Goodwin had gone. Then you’re looking at Steven fucking Gunn and Willie Garner who’s last involvement in football was in 2014 for a junior side who are now defunct. 

Fair enough, not defending Cormack at all, the buck stops at him regardless.

The real issue I have with him now is that the longer he waits to make the inevitable change (let's be honest, there's no coming back from this for Robson, everyone knows it's when and not if he goes) that's needed the more he is hurting the club and that's not the actions of someone with the club's best interests at heart. That just adds more fuel to the whole ego > club opinion that many have of him.

17 minutes ago, VinegarStrokes said:

Fair enough, not defending Cormack at all, the buck stops at him regardless.

The real issue I have with him now is that the longer he waits to make the inevitable change (let's be honest, there's no coming back from this for Robson, everyone knows it's when and not if he goes) that's needed the more he is hurting the club and that's not the actions of someone with the club's best interests at heart. That just adds more fuel to the whole ego > club opinion that many have of him.

Agree with that, for all that I do think he wants what best for the club he seems to have an issue with his ego that means he thinks he knows what’s best rather than getting people in with real experience in the important roles instead of this boys club that seems to be in place right now. He’s still chairman with the final say on decisions so it’s not as if they’d be taking any power away from him.  I keep seeing people wanting him out the club but as far as I’m aware there isn’t a line of investors chomping at the bit to take over, so the best that we can hope for is that he realises this sooner rather than later or else we’re consigned to the same issues playing out every season. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Helmet said:

If we had a suitably qualified and competent DoF would we even need a FMB? 

10 minutes ago, pittodriepie83 said:

Agree with that, for all that I do think he wants what best for the club he seems to have an issue with his ego that means he thinks he knows what’s best rather than getting people in with real experience in the important roles instead of this boys club that seems to be in place right now. He’s still chairman with the final say on decisions so it’s not as if they’d be taking any power away from him.  I keep seeing people wanting him out the club but as far as I’m aware there isn’t a line of investors chomping at the bit to take over, so the best that we can hope for is that he realises this sooner rather than later or else we’re consigned to the same issues playing out every season. 

Cormack taking a back seat and admitting he's got it wrong??? 

More chance of winning the Euro Millions. He can't help himself, he's the one that wants all the credit when things are good.