Cormack Thread

23 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

How can it be too early to consider the possibility it might not work out?  Too early to say it won't work out,  aye. 

I've already said why.

We have a wealthy chairman with wealthy friends who are here for the long haul (going by the training ground investment).

The coming player clear out will also free up loads more funds.

Our new manager has only been in charge of a team (where he hasn't signed anyone) for 3 games.

His one and only signing for next season is Scott Brown.

(Good start?)

Both Brown and the highly regarded Allan Russell will attract players.

From what I can gather, your only point is that it's never too early to panic or be pessimistic.

Again... based on what?

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Scotty_Toronto said:

To be replaced by... ?

Cormack has given us our first ever (13M) training ground and brought in a partnership with other investors. 

Glass has been in charge for 3 games, and hasn't even had the benefit of a window to sign anyone (other than Scott Brown on a pre-contract).

I think it's a little early for the "if this goes tits up" talk.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing who the new management team (with Allan Russell) attract.

Possibly you misunderstood what i was trying to say or I didn't make myself clear. 

I was responding to those who already think Glass isn't the right choice. I'm not prepared to judge his tenure for at least a season and a half and that doesn't even mean winning trophies. If he has a clear out, signs decent players (I'm assuming Cormack and his backers will make funds available) and the team plays in a way that gives hope for the future then 'success'. Even if the team has hiccups along the way (which i would expect) as long as they are learning from them, that's all good.

If very little changes and we are no further forward in a season and a half then I would expect Cormack to go because I think he has staked his chairmanship on Glass being the man to take Aberdeen forward (again, I'm not using winning trophies as a barometer). It is a bold move and I, like the vast majority of fans, want it to come off. 

Dunno if that makes my stance any more clearer but I am not in the doom and gloom brigade who wants to say 'I told you so'. I want this to work!

1 hour ago, maryhilldon said:

How can it be too early to consider the possibility it might not work out?  Too early to say it won't work out,  aye. 

Totally valid point min.

Many moons ago in my work the new managing director appointed his own man to run our specific division. Everyone in the division could observe that the appointment was badly flawed and the bloke was completely out of his depth. The MD's pride got in the way and the bloke was protected in post for 4 years, before being punted. I had changed industry long before then but learned that the division had been closed down not long after the sacking, primarily as a result of the inept divisional manager's lack of experience and know-how.

In summary it is never too early to question appointments.

As Dons supporters we should always hope for the best re Glass, but also as subscribers to the club on various levels we absolutely have the right to make comment as and when we see fit.

Gotcha,

2 hours ago, Woody21 said:

Everyone in the division could observe that the appointment was badly flawed and the bloke was completely out of his depth.

...but is that what's happening here?

In summary it is never too early to question appointments.

It's inevitable that it's going to happen.

As Dons supporters we should always hope for the best re Glass, but also as subscribers to the club on various levels we absolutely have the right to make comment as and when we see fit.

Of course.

2 hours ago, alscotoz said:

Possibly you misunderstood what i was trying to say or I didn't make myself clear. 

I was responding to those who already think Glass isn't the right choice. I'm not prepared to judge his tenure for at least a season and a half and that doesn't even mean winning trophies. If he has a clear out, signs decent players (I'm assuming Cormack and his backers will make funds available) and the team plays in a way that gives hope for the future then 'success'. Even if the team has hiccups along the way (which i would expect) as long as they are learning from them, that's all good.

If very little changes and we are no further forward in a season and a half then I would expect Cormack to go because I think he has staked his chairmanship on Glass being the man to take Aberdeen forward (again, I'm not using winning trophies as a barometer). It is a bold move and I, like the vast majority of fans, want it to come off. 

Dunno if that makes my stance any more clearer but I am not in the doom and gloom brigade who wants to say 'I told you so'. I want this to work!

Fair

9 minutes ago, Lencarl said:

Don't know if posted already but Cormack has said his ambition is to have 15000 seasons ticket holders at Pittodrie very soon.

If they splash out on good players and play attractive football it can be achieved. 

They've just posted the season ticket details along with a wifie singing northern lights on the club site. 

Some creative season ticket deals actually.  Free for u12 DNA, half price u18, free cup ticket etc. 

18 minutes ago, Lencarl said:

Don't know if posted already but Cormack has said his ambition is to have 15000 seasons ticket holders at Pittodrie very soon.

If they splash out on good players and play attractive football it can be achieved. 

Can it?

When have we ever been close to that?

Even in the 80’s our crowds weren’t great.

Look at the home crowds the year after Gothenburg.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983–84_Aberdeen_F.C._season

23 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Can it?

I think 15000 is just about attainable as a target but they wouldn't all be adult full price tickets.  There would be a fair amount of heavily concessioned tickets amongst that figure. 

8 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think 15000 is just about attainable as a target but they wouldn't all be adult full price tickets.  There would be a fair amount of heavily concessioned tickets amongst that figure. 

They'll need to up the ante considerably from Kamberi, McGeouch and Taylor and be winning - it isn't happening next season as there aren't 15000 dons fans that gullible.

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Can it?

Football has changed dramacitally since then tho. Wolves were in the top flight in England then and were getting less than us. Even the fucking huns have tripled their numbers from then to now and they have fucking died. 

Its all about marketing and getting folk onboard. 

No room for negative cunts like you with DC at the helm. ;)

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, slippers said:

You can’t be quoting those numbers without the knowledge that we are going big in the summer surely!?

He didn't say 15,000 by next season... he said by the time we move to a new stadium.

21 hours ago, Lencarl said:

In the Fergie era, I was there before, during and after, Pittodrie very rarely got anywhere near capacity.

The Dons core support is way less than 15,000, unfortunately.

Yes you get a multitude of fannies who turn up when there is a sniff of glory but, by an large, it will be one huge ask for DC to entice anything remotely near 15,000.

Good to set targets though, cannot criticize that.

20 minutes ago, Woody21 said:

In the Fergie era, I was there before, during and after, Pittodrie very rarely got anywhere near capacity.

The Dons core support is way less than 15,000, unfortunately.

Yes you get a multitude of fannies who turn up when there is a sniff of glory but, by an large, it will be one huge ask for DC to entice anything remotely near 15,000.

Good to set targets though, cannot criticize that.

Average attendance just a few years ago was around 14000 though. 

15000 isn't a huge stretch from that. Club just need to persuade more people to pay up front rather than pay per game. 

I think it's achievable with a decent team playing attacking football aligned with creative season ticket options. 

21 hours ago, Betty Swallicks said:

Football has changed dramacitally since then tho. Wolves were in the top flight in England then and were getting less than us. Even the fucking huns have tripled their numbers from then to now and they have fucking died. 

Its all about marketing and getting folk onboard. 

No room for negative cunts like you with DC at the helm. ;)

????

23 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Can it?

23000/24000 home crowd averages a season in the mid 1950s. If you look at the 80s even both sides of the glasgow scum were only averaging mid to late 20000 early 30000 a season.

1 hour ago, Dons79 said:

It’s sad that the 3rd biggest city in Scotland with only one team as well struggle to get 10-15k crowds.A blame it on the parenting, certainly isn’t money?,oil rich city,etc, there’s no real excuse for it?

Aberdeen’s average attendance has been over 10k every year since 13/14 season. It dipped below for three season 10/11, 11/12 and 12/13 when it was low to mid 9000s. Also from the 04/05 season until 10/11 is was also over 10k every season.