The Golf Thread

A NE man won the Scottish Amateur today. 256 starters, Chris Robb beat the lot of them.

That's THREE events in a row he's won. He's playing for Scotland in the Home Internationals this month, the first time he's represented his country at senior level.

How about this for a freak double? His putting coach, who he acknowledged in his speech - can't remember his name - also coaches the winner of the English Amateur today. I think that this coach only had one horse running in the English (288 starters) and only Chris in the Scottish. That's a double at almost 75,000 to 1! Weird.

Chris also acknowledged the contribution of Neil Marr of Meldrum House, his coach since he was a kid. If any of you need lessons - and I certainly do - check out Neil. He is a nice guy too as well as an excellent technician. Having seen Chris play all week, Neil is obviously a superb coach. This Robb character was outstanding.

Strathlene 4 day open was reduced to a shambles yesterday after the rain of biblical proportions caused chaos in the afternoon, resulting in all scores yesterday, including NR to be scraped, and today to be a 1 round to decided the next 2 days matchplay, mates pissed off as he scored a 65 yesterday morning.

nae luck

I see one of my work buddies Clark the Shark won one the sections at Strathlene

tightbreeks min. I ken fit ye're saying. But ye're wrang.

First off. Nae cunt can win all of the time. Nae cunt can win 10% of the time. Golf's not like that.

McIlroy is the real deal. He's just learning.

Sorry tightbreeks. Twas me who wiz wrang. McIlroy IS winning all the time now. He'll be undisputed world no. 1 now for minimum 5 years, probably 10.

I never thought about his record on links. Now that you mention it, he went deep at St Andrews in the Open then followed that with a shocker. He's got the course record at Portrush, the best links course in the world in my opinion so there's no doubt he can do very special numbers from time to time.

But did he not say that his game wasn't best suited for links golf? At Sandwich, I think. For me this was a surprising statement on a number of levels. Firstly, his talent is so exceptional that he can go low anywhere when he's in the mood. Also, given the numbers that he has posted on links courses back to when he was a kid in his amateur days, how can he say that he's not suited?

I think he is ready to win an Open - and to dominate it - because his talent is so superior.

The Seve v. Faldo comment you make is brilliant. I never thought about this before either. Whilst Rory has been a Seve up to now, I want to see him turn into a Faldo. With stronger mindset and greater consistency, McIlroy could be bigger than the two of them. The evidence thus far says it's not happening but if he does kick into gear, he's going to be frighteningly good. A big win on a links course is the catalyst he needs to go supersonic.

Hoylake was the catalyst. We saw tonight how superior his game is. Hot hot favourite now for the US PGA.

I agree that his only danger is himself but having got rid of that foreign tennis girl, he has been liberated. If he can keep unhappiness out of his personal life by not making a further selection error, he can dominate. The most fluid power in a golf swing I've ever seen.

um not a reflective glory man, stop me now before I turn into a complete meatus.

onwyie, I think Garcia could and should win the pga. he looks hungry and if he putts well, then he'll be there or thereabouts.

ever since rors dumped the baggage, he's been playing without a care in the world. and after watching a bit of the gowf last night, his driving is cheating. iron Byron-a-like, so he's red hot favourite to win at Valhalla, which is a shit parkland course, right up rory's alley.

RS....I thought LochLomond was immense, though I didnt play my best, I loved the course, it may sound weird but it felt like the course belonged there! it didnt feel manufactured and it was designed to fit the area, rather than the area fitting the course, for me, it blows trumpton out of the water for character, im no park loving golfer, but Id hurry back here in a heartbeat.

Im not sure if you know or have heard of Ross Mceown, but he caddied for me on the Friday, very nice lad, playing his golf in North Carolina, plus 2....great lad and good company during my 18 holes.

Defo best parkland course I've played, and had the good fortune to spend time at.....

I've never done the caddy thing so can't comment. I notice you say you didn't play your best. Do you think having a +2 caddie helped in that respect? Obviously he's not going to tut or laugh or that (not if he wants tipped), nor is he going to say I think you should drill a 4 iron 215 yds under the wind to 4 feet like I would, but did you not feel it added to the pressure you were feeling just having him there? I appreciate the need with say Trump or Prestwick with blind tee shots and approaches.

Roberto - is that just for the PGA or in general?

dr4e - as I said, it is the favourite inland course for many. Glad you enjoyed it.

Good point re looking like it's always been there. I got that from Kingsbarns from day one. Never got that at Trumps.

dazzy - I can't stand Murrayshall but as we see all the time and directly above, it's all personal preference. Enjoy.

I've gone for Dubuisson 90/1, Matasuyama 50/1, & Mannasero 150/1 as my picks for USPGA.

I also did my usual and took Poulter (low money however). I know he won't win it but I would never forgive myself if he did and I had nothing on him as he's my standard 'always pick the cunt' for the year.

I also did a close my eyes and scroll the page to do a First Round Leader pick....it landed on Padraig Harrington 200/1...oh to fuck.

You rate backing a relative no-hoper for ages then dine off as an expert for about 567897 years if one of those ridiculous bets ever came off.

I back who I seem to believe is playing well at the time.

Mannasero is some cunt I've always liked watching play golf.

Dubuisson I've no clue about but he is playing well.

Poulter is my new Quiros for this season.

I've nae lived that amount of years.

X

You have in dog years.

Probably.

dr4e - as I said, it is the favourite inland course for many. Glad you enjoyed it.

Good point re looking like it's always been there. I got that from Kingsbarns from day one. Never got that at Trumps.

dazzy - I can't stand Murrayshall but as we see all the time and directly above, it's all personal preference. Enjoy.

Im not up to any real standard so dont know how I will find it. My mate bought an Itison deal. £95 for 4 of us with buggy hire. Using it as a pre wedding get together to arrange a stag do. Will report back my findings.

RS....do you know said Caddy I mentioned? Ross Mceown?

I found the caddy very helpfull, defo on the lines of the greens, though I didnt hit the ball well, my putting was excellent ( thank fook) what I took from the caddy was that he thought I was always trying to guide the ball around the course rather than hitting it and just playing with freedom ( being a higher handicap player) when I took said advice, it helped me no end, just pick your spot and hit the bloody thing.....dont try and be too cute or to clever.....

No mate, don't know the caddy. Not surprisingly as I don't know too many.

Great to hear though. Sounds like he knows his job very well and as a consequence, was able to help you.

I am not caddy-employer material but I fully understand the vital role they play.

Was speaking to someone tonight and reinforced a good point. A couple of really good mates have caddied and one of them described it beautifully. He said the caddy was the navigator and the golfer was the pilot. It helps if there is agreement on every club selection and shot type decision, of course. If in dispute, the boy with the job to understand where we're going and what we're trying to do will know best, particularly where the golfer is young and/or inexperienced.

RS, during the rounds at LL, I had a chat on the range with Paul Girvan, Ive kind of met him a few times and he came across as a decent bloke who had the knack of making life simple around the golf swing, not to intense, but he seemed to see the little things wrong with the issues with some of the higher handicap golfers, he worked wonders for me, though I didnt take it onto the course, its helped my Iron play...whats your thoughts on Paul?

Also we had a Q&A with Ritchie Ramsay, I was left with the feeling that the guy has a few demons in his heed, and he seems to be more concerned with whats going wrong with his game and the mechanics, rather than doing what comes natural and building from there, you dont win a US Open Amateur if you canna play was my thought, I also felt that he thought the game owed him something,not sure how why I had that feeling, as he was a well manered lad, it seemed he was looking for a pat on the back to say, it will all be ok! Im not sure what im trying to say, but I just felt the lad had more going on in his heed than he really needed....

I don't know Paul Girvan so can't add anything.

Interesting to read your comments re Richie - not Ritchie - Ramsay. I was surprised to see him wandering about the club house at Royal Abz in his casual clothes on the Saturday, having missed the cut. I don't know why I was surprised. Just thought he might have taken a weekend off or gone to practise somewhere rather than rub shoulders with people and having to - presumably - smile through gritted teeth.

RS....I apologise, Richie......he's well supported ( I believe) by the Craig Group, or the Craig Group Family as he likes to call them, I havent followed Richie much, Ive seen him play a few times and my old man forever has a punt on him....blind faith I think, anyway, he talked a lot about parking stuff in his back pocket, asking himself why he played certain shots, heres a thing he mentioned, he said on his strokesaver at some tournaments, he writes down his achievements, so he dosent forget that he has the required talent, something I found a bit concerning if Im honest! I nearly said, Richie FFS min.....get yer heed doon, get back to playing the golf and stop worrying so much about shite!

fits your thoughts on that....

I would be concerned too dr4e. But hey, whatever works for him.

His progress 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 was superb. He hit a bit of a wall last year by the standards he had been producing and this year has been no much better although I think he's suffered injury at certain points.

Hope he works it out. A good dose of NE reality will help him.

What happened to Rory on 10?

Big pull OoB with 3 Wood going for green after superb drive.

Click on Shot Tracker when on a player's scorecard on the PGA Tour website to literally see every shot played in a tournament.

Of course on the telly, they described it as a double cross. They can't bring themselves to say it was a shit shot and he pulled the fuck out of it by trying to leather the fuck out of it. They always say double cross these days.