Sir Andy Murray

Guest SS RED

Murray lacks motivation and Ambition.

I think after winning Wimbledon he thought he had achieved his goal in tennis.

While the top two in the World keep striving to break records and win more and more majors and

be remembered as one of the best.

I cant see Andy winning another Major, I think maybe he is happy with what he has achieved.

Djokovic just got his arse spanked by a Jap who I have not heard off, ace viewing.

He's been around for a while, been in and around the top 20 since he was about 20 years old. I saw him play Murray at the Rod Lever Arena about 3 or 4 years ago. Was a strange atmosphere as the place was packed with Japanese! Some of their shouts and chants were really strange! He's threatened to do something big for a few years no... looks like this is his breakthrough!

Amazing to see Federer beaten by Cilic too! Cilic is coached by Ivanisevic. A lot has been expected of Cilic, but he's never been able to deliver, after being massively hyped as a youngster.

Hard to pick who'd I'd like to win - both players really deserve it IMO.

He's been around for a while, been in and around the top 20 since he was about 20 years old. I saw him play Murray at the Rod Lever Arena about 3 or 4 years ago. Was a strange atmosphere as the place was packed with Japanese! Some of their shouts and chants were really strange! He's threatened to do something big for a few years no... looks like this is his breakthrough!

Amazing to see Federer beaten by Cilic too! Cilic is coached by Ivanisevic. A lot has been expected of Cilic, but he's never been able to deliver, after being massively hyped as a youngster.

Hard to pick who'd I'd like to win - both players really deserve it IMO.

From what I can gather from Wikipedia this is the first Grand Slam final not to feature one of the "Big Four" since the Australian open of 2005 :o

• 2 months later...

Murray hasn't been the same since winning Wimbledon, then having his surgery.

He had a good run over the last two months - I think he broke a record for winning the most tournaments over the space of a month. He won three titles, they were all 500's though and didn't have to beat anyone that great.

I think he's lost his edge. There is nothing motivating him anymore. He was absolutely driven to get that first major then end the Wimbledon drought. His whole life has been focused on achieving those two goals. Sounds strange, but I think he's struggled to come to terms with it. There is no doubting his talent, but there are such fine margins at the highest level in mens tennis... I wonder if he'd have actually ever won a major if there had been other British men winning majors in recent history. In the lead up to his US Open and Wimbledon titles, the pressure kept cranking up and he kept getting closer and closer. Now that he's done it, it's like he's just deflated.

He seemed pumped up to chase the points he needed to qualify for the tour finals... and credit to him, he did it under ridiculous circumstances. However, his pre-tournament comments worried me. He was going on about just being please to be there and how he was just going to enjoy the experience and wasn't putting any pressure on himself. That was wrong. He was flat and played like he wasn't bothered. He NEEDS that pressure and he needs to find someway to refocus, or he's just going to continue to keep going through the motions until he retires. That would be a pity. Hopefully getting humiliated by Federer will give him the kick up the backside that he needs.

I think his new coach was the wrong decision. He needs someone to tell him a few home truths. Someone who'll stick a rocket up him and get that fire burning again.

Murray hasn't been the same since winning Wimbledon, then having his surgery.

He had a good run over the last two months - I think he broke a record for winning the most tournaments over the space of a month. He won three titles, they were all 500's though and didn't have to beat anyone that great.

I think he's lost his edge. There is nothing motivating him anymore. He was absolutely driven to get that first major then end the Wimbledon drought. His whole life has been focused on achieving those two goals. Sounds strange, but I think he's struggled to come to terms with it. There is no doubting his talent, but there are such fine margins at the highest level in mens tennis... I wonder if he'd have actually ever won a major if there had been other British men winning majors in recent history. In the lead up to his US Open and Wimbledon titles, the pressure kept cranking up and he kept getting closer and closer. Now that he's done it, it's like he's just deflated.

I thought he was beginning to get that edge back over the last few months with all the wins, yeah they weren't against anyone great but he can only beat what is infront of him and he did that. Seems like I was a bit premature in this assumption though judging by this result. Either that or he's his game has gone backwards since Lendl left.

Murray, will be back stronger next season, he's had a bit of a wake up call, but had a very decent season all things considered with his back-op.....I think he has a slam in him for 2015

Don't think the back problem is the issue. By all accounts, since recovering, the last 6 months are the first time, in about 5 years that he's been able to play pain free. As I mentioned in my previous post, I don't think fitness is the issue. I think it's upstairs.

Don't think the back problem is the issue. By all accounts, since recovering, the last 6 months are the first time, in about 5 years that he's been able to play pain free. As I mentioned in my previous post, I don't think fitness is the issue. I think it's upstairs.

I think he believes his style of tennis can win him slams, I think he has belief in his ability and talent, however I think his last match with Fed has left him with a huge question about his tactics and approach to games, and i think he will change his game for the better, lets not forget he spent 20 years playing this way and has won 2 slams and an olympic gold

• 2 months later...

Murray to win in 3 and Kyrgios never to be seen again then!

First part right! Not many teenagers have made two Grand Slam quarter finals in the current era. I'd be on Kyrgios being a contender in future years!

Murray through to the semi finals of the Australian Open, for what must be about the 6th or 7th time.

Plays Tomas Berdych - could be a classic this one. Berdych is playing like Wawrinka did last year and looks like a man on a mission. Absolutely destroyed Rafa earlier today. Murray is looking the best he has for a while though... tough one to call, so I'll disappoint you all by sitting on the fence here! :laughing:

Thought Berdych was going to serve his way to a win after the way he started, crazy second set from Murray with plenty of signs that he really is back to his best.

The Berdych and Dimitrov matches are as good as I've seen him play since winning Wimbledon.

4th Australian Open final coming up and regardless of who he plays in the final, I think this is his best chance so far. Genuinely can't decide who I'd rather he'd played. Wawrinka is the defending champion and has been the best player in the tournament so far, however Djoko is the best player in the world right now and has an amazing AO record. Going to be incredibly tough either way...

• 3 months later...

Just beat Nadal, on clay, in the final of the Madrid Masters. His second clay court tournament win in a row - although the Munich Open was a much smaller event. Two weeks ago, he'd never even won a ranking event on clay!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/32683988

Prior to his surgery, he used to look so uncomfortable on clay. You've got to admire the hard work that's allowed him to progress his clay court game to this level.

• 3 weeks later...

Watching his matches this last week and he's looking superb on clay now, always found it strange that despite mainly playing on clay as a kid and growing up that he just didn't do well on it in tournaments but that's certainly all changed now, he looks frightening on it