Russell Anderson Signs!

i for 1 am chuft this legend and hero of mine is back. the man would play barefoot on a carpark littered with glass for the dons and knows what it means to play for us. can't wait for him to return and i can only see considine upping his game another level or 2 with big russ beside him, remember how good he made plug look, and how tits up did he go when anderson left. fair play to you mr brown, this is a cracking bit of business.

Eh, let me think, no.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i for 1 am chuft this legend and hero of mine is back. the man would play barefoot on a carpark littered with glass for the dons and knows what it means to play for us. can't wait for him to return and i can only see considine upping his game another level or 2 with big russ beside him, remember how good he made plug look, and how tits up did he go when anderson left. fair play to you mr brown, this is a cracking bit of business.

Eh, let me think, no.

:itch-chin:

Remember how many times he had to bail out Plug or cover for him?

:laughing:

:itch-chin:

Remember how many times he had to bail out Plug or cover for him?

:laughing:

the 2 of you have short memories. diamond was being compared with alex mcleish. i hate the guy and think he's fucking murder but in his 1st 2 and a half years i was fooled, mainly because of anderson.

the 2 of you have short memories. diamond was being compared with alex mcleish. i hate the guy and think he's fucking murder but in his 1st 2 and a half years i was fooled, mainly because of anderson.

I seen 'potential' & 'commitment' to the cause (especially against the huns) but I was massively mistaken.

He had one good season (after Anderson left) & even in that one he cost us goals a plenty.

I'll admit to being wrong rgds Diamond cos I bought into his hyperactive BS shouting & pointing.

He was semi decent when controlled by a wiser head but when left to his own devices & worse still, put in charge of the back line he was found out

I seen 'potential' & 'commitment' to the cause (especially against the huns) but I was massively mistaken.

He had one good season (after Anderson left) & even in that one he cost us goals a plenty.

I'll admit to being wrong rgds Diamond cos I bought into his hyperactive BS shouting & pointing.

He was semi decent when controlled by a wiser head but when left to his own devices & worse still, put in charge of the back line he was found out

i agree, i was massively mistaken also. diamond is the most horrible reprobait to wear a dons top in the last 20 year, and is also a fecking horrendous defender. i highly doubt ollie identified him as shite from day 1.

Certainly not by me he wasn't.

No, he wasn't. He was always shit.

i agree, i was massively mistaken also. diamond is the most horrible reprobait to wear a dons top in the last 20 year, and is also a fecking horrendous defender. i highly doubt ollie identified him as shite from day 1.

I rated Andy Campbell above Zander Diam :o nd, from day one. I regard him as up with the worst footballers we have ever had at the club.

:thumbup1:

I can't believe the negativity surrounding this.

We have just signed one of, if not the best centrebacks in the league (when fit)- surely reason to be happy.

And I defy anyone who saw Plug as a raw 17 yr old, trying to drive on Paterson's team from the back to say they never thought he'd be a player.

Turns out he wasn't like, but I think everyone at the time agreed he had a great chance.

(And it was Irvine who said Considine and Diamond could be our next Miller and McLeish after the away match against Dnipro)

just because Considine said he wants to make the top six does not mean thats the extent of his ambition. I'd say right now the aim is to make it there and spring on from that.

It may not be the extent of his ambition, but he shouldn't just be quoted on saying making the top 6 is where he wants to get us. It's all soundbites, but he's got to come across as more ambitious than that. IMO of course.

oh and Anderson was not exactly vocal when he was captain either.

No but he was a leader. Something I've not seen Considine display on a regular basis. Again IMO.

not saying that considine should be captain just think people take certain comments the wrong way

Indeed they do.

It's about interpretation and how things a presented to you.

:thumbup1:

I can't believe the negativity surrounding this.

We have just signed one of, if not the best centrebacks in the league (when fit)- surely reason to be happy.

And I defy anyone who saw Plug as a raw 17 yr old, trying to drive on Paterson's team from the back to say they never thought he'd be a player.

Turns out he wasn't like, but I think everyone at the time agreed he had a great chance.

(And it was Irvine who said Considine and Diamond could be our next Miller and McLeish after the away match against Dnipro)

Spot on, 100%

Good to see quite a few positive posts on this - shame about the negative crap.

I think Anderson will bring plenty to the club even before he gets playing he can be a motivator for the players here. Hopefully he'll get fit and play regularly but if he doesn't I don't think he will bleed the club for wages.

We need more mental strength and respect for the club and fans in the dressing room - everyone seems to agree on that so surely Anderson is the perfect signing to bring that.

If for example he replaces Mawene in the Squad next season then that is a good bit of business to my mind.

Plus there is always the possibility of him getting involved in coaching in future.

I don't see the need for people to go and look for the negative angle on this one.

I'm not trying to be negative, but if this had been any other player apart from Russell Anderson this would be a thread complaining about us signing a centre half who's won nothing and has been crocked for the last 5 years and Brown pouring good money away on a defender when our priority should be a winger or a full back.

Having said that, its Russell, and he was outstanding in his time here, in both a horrible, terrible Paterson team, and was consistently good during Calderwoods era (not going to give my opinion on whether Jimmy's time was good or bad, seems like its pretty divisive). I doubt Brown would be signing him if he didn't think he can come in and contribute. Certainly donkey boy Zander was better when Anderson was guiding him, and hopefully Considine will pick up a few tips on captaining from him.

I'm not trying to be negative, but if this had been any other player apart from Russell Anderson this would be a thread complaining about us signing a centre half who's won nothing and has been crocked for the last 5 years and Brown pouring good money away on a defender when our priority should be a winger or a full back.

Having said that, its Russell, and he was outstanding in his time here, in both a horrible, terrible Paterson team, and was consistently good during Calderwoods era (not going to give my opinion on whether Jimmy's time was good or bad, seems like its pretty divisive). I doubt Brown would be signing him if he didn't think he can come in and contribute. Certainly donkey boy Zander was better when Anderson was guiding him, and hopefully Considine will pick up a few tips on captaining from him.

If Carles Puyol had played the same amount of games int that time because of injury & then signed for us I'd be a little MORE excited about it & if Ross Tokley had also played the same amount in the same time & then signed for us I'd be a lot LESS excited. so there's any other good player & my reaction & also any other bad player & my reaction to it. It's all relative IMO :dontknow:

Besides, a lot ARE complaining about the waste of cash but I'm not one of them, as I trust Anderson to be good to his word & tear up any contract if he's not fit enough.

With him saying he'll walk from the contract if he can't get back to fitness to play I'm way happier. He's one of that (seemingly shrinking) group of players who are in it for the game.

My worries before about it being a risk signing a 33 year old almost perma-crock are mitigated by that comment of his.

Also watching his press conference on RedTV on arriving back... he oozes a level of professionalism and dedication and commitment to not just playing but the club that we sorely need. Not at the expense of an expensive crock but if he can get playing again it'll be a bigger benefit than just his time on the pitch.

So yeah... worries reduced, just need to hope he CAN get to fitness and playing.

With him saying he'll walk from the contract if he can't get back to fitness to play I'm way happier. He's one of that (seemingly shrinking) group of players who are in it for the game.

My worries before about it being a risk signing a 33 year old almost perma-crock are mitigated by that comment of his.

Also watching his press conference on RedTV on arriving back... he oozes a level of professionalism and dedication and commitment to not just playing but the club that we sorely need. Not at the expense of an expensive crock but if he can get playing again it'll be a bigger benefit than just his time on the pitch.

So yeah... worries reduced, just need to hope he CAN get to fitness and playing.

You can counter this by saying a 33 year old who has not played much the last 4 years still has much to give, rather than a 33 year old who has played 50 games every season, Hartley being the reference point.

You can counter this by saying a 33 year old who has not played much the last 4 years still has much to give, rather than a 33 year old who has played 50 games every season, Hartley being the reference point.

You can counter it further by pointing out that he is only 32 and will not be 33 until next season.

Why bother countering it though? He's getting on. He's been crocked way too many times the last few years. It's a gamble end of story.

That gamble has been mitigated by him being a decent bloke and saying he'll walk if he can't cut it. Which imo is the only 'counter' that matters.

(He IS 33 btw... http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/russell-anderson-aberdeen_2212045_6786 so that's not such a good counter :itch-chin:)

Why bother countering it though? He's getting on. He's been crocked way too many times the last few years. It's a gamble end of story.

That gamble has been mitigated by him being a decent bloke and saying he'll walk if he can't cut it. Which imo is the only 'counter' that matters.

(He IS 33 btw... http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/russell-anderson-aberdeen_2212045_6786 so that's not such a good counter :itch-chin:)

Birthday listed as October 78 on Wikipedia

most of our signings are gambles. Osbournes injury history wasn't great but he's been good enough (matter of opinion of course)