Paul Lawrie's Corner

Paul serious question (aside from winding up about lessons) and since you're playing there today too.

The Carnegie club is a beautiful course with awesome scenery and is of a pretty decent standard too. However, locals pretty much cannot get on it unless invited. Do you agree with this type of thing since it so in keeping with R&A's "golf for all" campaign (which I also find phenomenally hypocritical since the female membership there is somewhat "restricted").

I can understand when PdS owned it he tried to get a certain level of exclusivity due to the type of guest skibo was attracting but locals could still pay for a few tee times (similar to the public availability at Castle Stuart) but Ellis Short has zero interest apparently in maintaining that style of membership and the feeling amongst many staff is that he wants the place as a play thing for himself. Knowing a few members too I would tend to agree with this.

I just feel that if it was more open to public, and worked with local fantastic clubs like Royal Dornoch (although the current manager appears hell bent on wasting money), Tain, Golspie, Brora, etc it would be a massive attraction to golf tourists, and perhaps attract more glamour competitions to the area.

I think it's totally up to the owner how the place is run amd who plays it

Paul

Paul,

Do you ever read the pub section on here?

A young lady is doing a charity walk up a mountain in aid of her granda who has alzheimer's, I know you'll probably get loads of requests from charities but thought you might be able to do something to help her, signed glove or something to ebay off or raffle, just a thought! :dontknow:

Wild looking day today up at Skibo, Paul?

I remember Shells Wonderfull World of Golf filmed a game up there in 1995, Greg Norman v Freddy Couples, in a gale force wind. Couples played a 2 iron, only about 190 yds but into the teeth of the gale, ball only rose about 6 feet off the ground but he stiffed it. One of the best shots I've ever seen.

Nothing wrong with exclusivity, keeps folk like you

off the course.

Sent from my IPad at Royal Aberdeen

Whilst I agree to an extent, what I do know is that it's a waste of a decent enough course. Having played it (so it doesn't keep folk like me out) there's the possibility between it and the other local courses of very high standard to be a very big draw for the area. But from what I hear about Ellis, he couldn't care less. Which is his prerogative.

But let's not drag this thread down. I asked Paul his opinion which he gave (hopefully honestly and not just because he has a deal with them influencing his opinion), and furthered it with another question about accessibility of golf. I know that many local courses at very snooty about who they let in, my own included which I abhorr.

Sent from my iPad at my bog after having a south Indian garlic chilli king prawn. Ouch.

Whilst I agree to an extent, what I do know is that it's a waste of a decent enough course. Having played it (so it doesn't keep folk like me out) there's the possibility between it and the other local courses of very high standard to be a very big draw for the area. But from what I hear about Ellis, he couldn't care less. Which is his prerogative.

But let's not drag this thread down. I asked Paul his opinion which he gave (hopefully honestly and not just because he has a deal with them influencing his opinion), and furthered it with another question about accessibility of golf. I know that many local courses at very snooty about who they let in, my own included which I abhorr.

Sent from my iPad at my bog after having a south Indian garlic chilli king prawn. Ouch.

Ideally all courses should be accessible for everyone but when some are privately owned its not like that and who plays them is totally up to the owner As I'm sure you know

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I know that many local courses at very snooty about who they let in, my own included which I abhorr.

Christ min it's golf, played by snobs, exclusively.

If you're not a snob, you shouldna be anywhere near a golf course.

I've only played golf once in my life, I nearly decapitated the lad who took me on the course with my first shot, the ball barely got off the ground but went a fair distance.

I think I got in bother for raising my voice and that was it for me.

It's elitist nonsense.

Paul is out for first practice with Garcia. Could be the grumpiest pairing in Ryder Cup history.

What's your thoughts on the initial hints with todays pairings Paul?

PS All the best 28/1 for top European scorer I had to take that.

MODS,

Is it possible to have one of these made up with an american face for this weekend? :lolrangers:

Good luck this week Paul. Win or lose you've done us proud.

PS

Can you have a word in Jose Maria's shell and tell him to drop Westwood, he's playing like a total chomper!

Really?! Hes one of our strongest players. played garbage last week but his event before that was 2nd in one of fed ex events to mciroy.

Good luck this week Paul.

Good luck Paul, win or lose I hope you perform as well as you know you can.

I'm certain Rory and Gmac will play together so Olazabal must think Paul playing with Sergio is a possibility. It's not a pairing i'd have thought up but the last time Paul played with a moody b*****d at the Ryder Cup they fared well together.

Really?! Hes one of our strongest players. played garbage last week but his event before that was 2nd in one of fed ex events to mciroy.

Good luck this week Paul.

Absolutely the WORST short game of any player on both sides. Shocking putter and piss poor chipping and short game in general. 100% agree he is an amazing ball striker.

Absolutely the WORST short game of any player on both sides. Shocking putter and piss poor chipping and short game in general. 100% agree he is an amazing ball striker.

Westwood's putting tends to be a lot better in the Ryder Cup - a lot like Monty's used to be. I think Garcia is a weaker putter than Westwoood. Molinari's putting used to be his downfall too. I think tee to green Europe have the strongest team so I expect we'll do a lot better in the foursomes. USA have the best putters however and the Ryder Cup generally comes down to who can hole the most putts. Really hope Europe can bring it home though.

Stick in Paul.