Paul Lawrie's Corner

I'm playing Switzerland this week, skibo castle pro am next tues/wed then week off , then PL invitational at deeside then rydercup

Paul

hopefully the good run continues, couple of questions if you dont mind.

1. Are you playing better than when you won the open?

2. will you try and "tweak" anything this week leading into the RC?

3. Do you think you have another major in you?

Thanks Paul

hopefully the good run continues, couple of questions if you dont mind.

1. Are you playing better than when you won the open?

2. will you try and "tweak" anything this week leading into the RC?

3. Do you think you have another major in you?

Thanks Paul

1. im a better ball striker than when i won the open

2. no, have been working on same stuff with andrew locke all season

3. difficult one to answer but hopefully , i have my self belief back so whos knows

paul

• Upvote 1

Well done mate, good betting.

Paul, well done, fantastic win!

Cheers mate.

Paul,

Well done over the weekend good shooting. I had you at 33/1 (I'm due you a pint) and a double with Sergio in the US. Backed him at 25/1 and was looking good for a 884/1 double. That would have been great.

All the Best for the RC.

Congrats Paul! Glad to see you are back to your best, probably actually better than before!

Good to see a Scottish golfer doing so well again. Are there any up and coming young scots who you think will become the next Peter or Colin?

Obviously not in the same position as Paul to answer this but what I've heard and having seen him play a couple of times David Law another local lad looks to have a bright future in the game.

He's made a few cuts already on tour this year. He was pretty successful as an amatuer also.

VERY successful as an amateur but may suffer by not concentrating on any one tour this year and is therefore relying on Q school(s) for a stage to play on for 2013. Young lad, great lad and he's Eberdeen. Very bright future and coached exclusively at the PL Golf Centre.

Celtic fan though, isn't he? Not that that makes him a bad person.........

Paul. As a guy who owns a set of clubs and plays a round maybe once a year on average at best I tend to find that golf looks like it's piss easy to play but when you take hold of the sticks and swing them it turns out not to be the case.

It's clearly not as easy as it looks but my question to you is this:

Is golf more about having a natural talent, is it more about practice and what is the ratio between being naturally good and simply practicing?

Plenty golfers on here and some play what looks to be every day for years upon years but are still considered to be shit golfers so I'm thinking it must be more to do with natural talent than practice.

Paul. As a guy who owns a set of clubs and plays a round maybe once a year on average at best I tend to find that golf looks like it's piss easy to play but when you take hold of the sticks and swing them it turns out not to be the case.

Is golf more about having a natural talent, is it more about practice and what is the ratio between being naturally good and simply practicing?

Plenty golfers on here and some play what looks to be every day for years upon years but are still considered to be shit golfers so I'm thinking it must be more to do with natural talent than practice.

I think talent is probably only 70% of it, the rest is attitude and nerve. Being able to hole that putt under pressure is probably what lets most people down.

I think talent is probably only 70% of it, the rest is attitude and nerve. Being able to hole that putt under pressure is probably what lets most people down.

Cheers Paul. You're logged in as someone else by the way. Maybe next time when you log on you'll use your normal username.

I'm nae buying that Stand Free 1982. That putt under pressure will only happen once in a blue moon. Great golfers will win by more than 1 stroke. Take the weekend just past for example. an 18 inch tiddler knocked in for a 4 stroke victory.

Absolutely no pressure what so ever so it must be something else.

It's a public forum. Anyone can discuss it if they want and it's a good question you asked. I too will be interested to see what Paul says, if he's inclined to.

I read a book called Bounce by Matthew Syed a couple of years ago. It was amazing. The conclusion it came to was that champions are made, not born, which is pretty much the conclusions that The Talent Myth comes to, work ethic being all.

I was kidding Rocket. I did specifically ask Paul but I like answers from all walks of life for things I'm not sure of. Perhaps Stand Free 1982's real name is Paul. :sherlock:

Paul,

If you could win one more major which one would it be?

I'd want the green jacket or a UK open at Trumps course with the home fans behind me.

Do you think your loons will make it the pro circuit and would you encourage it?

Sorry for all the questions, just interested.

being able to play the masters and british open every year till you retire would be cool so the masters

both craig and michael would love to be professionals and yes its a great life

paul

Congrats Paul! Glad to see you are back to your best, probably actually better than before!

Good to see a Scottish golfer doing so well again. Are there any up and coming young scots who you think will become the next Peter or Colin?

Thanks

Our foundation currently helps out david law,phillip mclean and kris nicol theres no reason why one or all of those guys could break through , ross kellett is another that springs to mind he knocked back an invitation to aberdeen asset scottish open to stick to the alps tour and won that week so very impressive

paul

I had little or no natural talent and have done ok so i believe it can all be learned but easier if your talented

i decided to get the short game bit first then work on the long game , to many people do it the other way round,

paul