Paul Lawrie's Corner

I had little or no natural talent and have done ok so i believe it can all be learned but easier if your talented

i decided to get the short game bit first then work on the long game , to many people do it the other way round,

paul

I'd say you've done a bit more than OK. :thumbs:

When did you start playing golf?

I had little or no natural talent and have done ok so i believe it can all be learned but easier if your talented

i decided to get the short game bit first then work on the long game , to many people do it the other way round,

paul

I agree its massively down to hard work but talent on top just helps. With this in mind, as a 34 year old playing off 13 handicap, do you think it's too late for me to 'make it'?

Edit: bear in mind that dependant entirely on your response I intend to quit my job and take up golf full time. But only if you promise me I will get down to scratch, turn pro, get my tour card, and then win lots of majors. Cheers

It's a public forum. Anyone can discuss it if they want and it's a good question you asked. I too will be interested to see what Paul says, if he's inclined to.

I read a book called Bounce by Matthew Syed a couple of years ago. It was amazing. The conclusion it came to was that champions are made, not born, which is pretty much the conclusions that The Talent Myth comes to, work ethic being all.

Great read.

Couldn't put it down.

I agree its massively down to hard work but talent on top just helps. With this in mind, as a 34 year old playing off 13 handicap, do you think it's too late for me to 'make it'?

Edit: bear in mind that dependant entirely on your response I intend to quit my job and take up golf full time. But only if you promise me I will get down to scratch, turn pro, get my tour card, and then win lots of majors. Cheers

I would assume your f***** for pro golf :hysterical:

paul

I read a book called Bounce by Matthew Syed a couple of years ago. It was amazing. The conclusion it came to was that champions are made, not born, which is pretty much the conclusions that The Talent Myth comes to, work ethic being all.

Tell that to Ronnie O'Sullivan

Or the likes of thon Jamaican runner who has chicken nuggets before racing

While I don't disagree in the whole. True talent can beat hard work hands down

Tell that to Ronnie O'Sullivan

Or the likes of thon Jamaican runner who has chicken nuggets before racing

While I don't disagree in the whole. True talent can beat hard work hands down

Both guys you mention will have put in more than 10,000 hours of purposeful practice as primary school kids.

Not saying that talent isn't important but don't be fooled into thinking that's all it takes, hard work is where it's at.

No point in him getting above himself just because he's suddenly picking away at the golf.

That's what happened after he won the Open, suddenly he thinks he's Erchie, and his form went out the window.

I'm here to help him to keep it real, feet planted on terra firma.

I was half hoping he'd credit 'Tup's Corner' in the media as being a major factor in his resurgence in form.

After all, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, and I'd remind Paul Lawrie, mere mortal who happens to be good at golf, that, were it not for me, 'Paul Lawrie's Corner' wouldna exist.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'll be shocked if olympians are ahead of you in the new year honours list tupster.

Aye, I'm hoping to be up there with the likes of Martin Amis, Bono, Lily Allen, Robert Kilroy-Silk and Lady Victoria Hervey as part of the 'happening' set shortly.

I know you'll have an excuse but I'm wondering why you feel Bono deserves a mention when the chat is about the honour's list.

Paul, thanks for answering my last questions.

These are my final one's, I won't darken your door again!

Who books your flights and hotels etc, do you have an agent or does the torunament you're heading for do all that, also do you have to pay for flights, and hotels or do the tournament sponsers pick up the tab?

You should buy a private plane so you don't have to worry about commercial flights, I think i read Trump is selling his, he'd maybe cut you a deal for some lessons.

There's three in his foundation alone, all rookie pros to look out for.

David Law is defending his Northern Open title as we speak, having shot an incredible 62 in the 3rd Rd last year as an amateur.

Kris Nicol is leading the Alps Tour event in Italy after his 64 this morning in Rd 1.

Philip McLean switched coaches recently and is now finding his feet, shooting 67 today in Italy.

Also, James Byrne shot 66 yesterday at Meldrum House and if this is him turning the corner then he's another great NE prospect.

Ross Kellett is another rookie to look out for, 2nd in the Alps Order of Merit, and who has revolutionised his game.

A little bit older but one to watch out for is Wallace Booth who has been out with shoulder reconstructive surgery until recently. He's an awesome talent and with his first pro win under his belt now, and inspired by his sister who is European Ladies No. 1 at the moment, he's another to watch out for.

How is Kris doing now?

I couldn't find any news of it online

Do you know much about the other Broch lad on that tour, Jordan Findlay?

Ha ha. Steve Beddow apologising for Paul's language. Monty got caught with a clear "Fucking Hell" this morning and then at the green, he was moaning at everyone in the crowd. What's the problem? Humans do swear. Let's not pretend otherwise and no need for commentators to protect us sensitive souls.

Lol. Paul also got picked up on sunday at Gleneagles by that pompous prick Bruce Critchley, funny when it's said in a north east way though!

Agree, don't place the boom mikes so close to the players post shot, or turn them down

Paul, thanks for answering my last questions.

These are my final one's, I won't darken your door again!

Who books your flights and hotels etc, do you have an agent or does the torunament you're heading for do all that, also do you have to pay for flights, and hotels or do the tournament sponsers pick up the tab?

You should buy a private plane so you don't have to worry about commercial flights, I think i read Trump is selling his, he'd maybe cut you a deal for some lessons.

Company who book flights are called fairway travel , some events pay my flights and accomidation but some weeks i pay myself

I buy hours in a private jet which i use when i make the cut in europe to get me straight home on a sunday night

paul

Lol. Paul also got picked up on sunday at Gleneagles by that pompous prick Bruce Critchley, funny when it's said in a north east way though!

Agree, don't place the boom mikes so close to the players post shot, or turn them down

I shouldnt be swearing i know but i wish they would stop apoligising makes it worse IMO

PAUL

Ha ha. Steve Beddow apologising for Paul's language. Monty got caught with a clear "Fucking Hell" this morning and then at the green, he was moaning at everyone in the crowd. What's the problem? Humans do swear. Let's not pretend otherwise and no need for commentators to protect us sensitive souls.

Annoys me when they apologise for the language of the corner men during boxing fights too.

Eh?

It was a fairly straightforward question really, dunno how I can simplify it any further; but here goes.

A'body is asking you lots of questions about golf and stuff, so I just wanted an insight into what makes the man himself tick. You must enjoy a tipple in between rounds, and I was just curious as to what your favourite brand of vodka was?

Oh aye, well in Paul.

Ever since I registered on AFC Chat you have hit top form.

Before that you were ropey to say the least.

Coincidence?

Possibly.

I'm not looking for any credit as ever.

Ever since his penchant for taking too much time off was pointed out to him after his win last year, he's heeded the lesson and knuckled down. modesty forbids me pointing out who gave him that advice.

I'm playing Switzerland this week, skibo castle pro am next tues/wed then week off , then PL invitational at deeside then rydercup

Paul

So, you are missing the Dutch and Italian Opens?

Given the hugeness of the Ryder Cup, and given that you are in the form of your life, how do you best judge your build up to the "big ones", in terms of skipping or playing preceding tournaments? Poulter, Garcia, Rose etc etc will all have played almost every week prior to the Ryder Cup in the Fed-Ex, are they in danger of overplaying, and would you be in danger of underplaying?

It was a fairly straightforward question really, dunno how I can simplify it any further; but here goes.

A'body is asking you lots of questions about golf and stuff, so I just wanted an insight into what makes the man himself tick. You must enjoy a tipple in between rounds, and I was just curious as to what your favourite brand of vodka was?

belhaven best or glass of red wine never used to drink but do now

paul

Paul. after reading some of jesse james book "the Bear Pit" it is apparent how arrogant, and unliked Faldo was on the tour, and in deed his attutude to the European Tour was a total disgrace, what is your view of him?

Also i know James was heavily critcised for losing that Ryder Cup from a 10-6 lead, but from what i have read so far it seems that James was a decent captain, respectful of the players and the competition but perhaps his failing was not being too bothered about the oppostions strengths/ weakness's

would you agree as someone who was there?

Given the hugeness of the Ryder Cup, and given that you are in the form of your life, how do you best judge your build up to the "big ones", in terms of skipping or playing preceding tournaments? Poulter, Garcia, Rose etc etc will all have played almost every week prior to the Ryder Cup in the Fed-Ex, are they in danger of overplaying, and would you be in danger of underplaying?

I am missing dutch and italian but playing skibo pro am and my own invitational at deeside so still playing , not much poulter,garcia etc can do as play offs are huge for them but i assume they would want one week off before ryder cup but not possible

paul

Paul. after reading some of jesse james book "the Bear Pit" it is apparent how arrogant, and unliked Faldo was on the tour, and in deed his attutude to the European Tour was a total disgrace, what is your view of him?

Also i know James was heavily critcised for losing that Ryder Cup from a 10-6 lead, but from what i have read so far it seems that James was a decent captain, respectful of the players and the competition but perhaps his failing was not being too bothered about the oppostions strengths/ weakness's

would you agree as someone who was there?

Mark james was very good but should have played coltart,van de velde and ,sandelin before the singles

faldo came on the range at accenture world matchplay and asked me what i have working on etc, so i said when you played nick would you have allowed someone from tv to bug you during practice !!!!!!!! no so beat it and he did , strange bloke ,great player but strange man

paul

Isnt there a week off before the Tour Championship? Sergio took this week off but must be difficult for those guys in the Fed Ex trying to not be knackered for the Ryder Cup.