Experiments With Food

it's not all fancy lol

a bbq'd hotdog or burger is about as good as it gets. :drool:

do you mix other meats with your beef?

No, just use aberdeen angus mince. I'm only really getting int this cooking malarkey. I bought a food processor yesterday. My life is rock and fucking roll.

I'm thinking of making sticky chicken with the leftovers. Just need to get skinless and boneless chicken thighs first.

seared tilapia with a spicy orange salsa. side of rice. and some greens for dinner last night. easy as anything to make. and phenomenally good :thumbup1:

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/seared-tilapia-spicy-orange-salsa.aspx

tonight's an experiment. brandy and cinnamon poached pears on baked chicken breast stuffed with brie. :dontknow:

Two things, what are naval oranges and are they different from normal ones?

What's tilapia as wiki says it is a common name for over 100 types of fish! Must admit the recipe looks pretty good, think if i made it i'd sub in scallops...

Two things, what are naval oranges and are they different from normal ones?

What's tilapia as wiki says it is a common name for over 100 types of fish! Must admit the recipe looks pretty good, think if i made it i'd sub in scallops...

i think the recipe just said navel so as not to encourage people to use mandarins, tangerines, or other variants. just a good plain juicy seedless orange is fine.

scallops would likely work with it from what i know of them (can't eat them either). or any mild tasting white fish, if you don't get tilapia there.

This guy I ken used to eat raw black puddings he was aff his rocker. On away days/nights out etc it was not unheard of him just nipping to the shop and coming out with a 4 pack. He would chow down on them all straight out the packet. never complained aboot feeling sick or haying the shites.

Needless to say we all backed away fae him havent heard about him for a few year now.

It was only ever black puddings tho, we tried to get him to eat a heap o different raw meats but to no avail.

This guy I ken used to eat raw black puddings he was aff his rocker. On away days/nights out etc it was not unheard of him just nipping to the shop and coming out with a 4 pack. He would chow down on them all straight out the packet. never complained aboot feeling sick or haying the shites.

Needless to say we all backed away fae him havent heard about him for a few year now.

It was only ever black puddings tho, we tried to get him to eat a heap o different raw meats but to no avail.

I love black pudding, would always cook it though, he sounds weird.

It's not raw by definition it's cooked, if it wasn't it'd be a wee pool of blood. lol.gif

I stand corrected a valid point raised sir! It was just cold black pudding he would gorge on!

gads! :unsure:

well Dervish, it worked. nothing surprising about the brie-stuffed chicken. standard enough fare. roasted with herbs. but the poached pears were a magnificent addition. ended up poaching them in a maple whisky and a bit of cinnamon. absolutely exquisite. :sheepdance: but wasn't happy with the sides. and even in the eating, couldn't decide what i would have served with it? would you have any ideas? :crossfingers:

it's a pretty delicate flavour. plain rice was completely uninteresting. but i wouldn't want to overpower the flavours from the chicken. veggies? it was peas that night (cos they were in the house), but something else would have been better. a grilled asparagus maybe? :itch-chin:

Dervish? :dontknow:

IMG_4695a.jpg

Dervish,

Have you ever thought of becoming a chef, you seem well into it, turn a hobby into a profession?

I dunno I shit myself if I've gotta cook for more than 4. lol.gif Do like it but probably just because I can piss about with it in my own (slow) time.

gads! :unsure:

well Dervish, it worked. nothing surprising about the brie-stuffed chicken. standard enough fare. roasted with herbs. but the poached pears were a magnificent addition. ended up poaching them in a maple whisky and a bit of cinnamon. absolutely exquisite. :sheepdance: but wasn't happy with the sides. and even in the eating, couldn't decide what i would have served with it? would you have any ideas? :crossfingers:

it's a pretty delicate flavour. plain rice was completely uninteresting. but i wouldn't want to overpower the flavours from the chicken. veggies? it was peas that night (cos they were in the house), but something else would have been better. a grilled asparagus maybe? :itch-chin:

Dervish? :dontknow:

Looks/sounds cracking to me! The pears really sound good different too.

(feel weird giving comments lol) I don't really know to be honest. Part of me was thinking mushroom/white wine risotto and maybe spinach? Maybe too stodgy/overpowering? Other part of me was thinking maybe a light bean salad. Maybe even getting towards citrusy, bit of orange peel (to help on the cut of the pears)? Hard to say though, but think maybe would go for risotto if it was light enough.

Pataks have released a special edition "Phal" sauce jar, canna wait to try it wi chicken; anyone sees any UN WMD inspectors. gies a shout if they looklike they're headin in the general direction of Torry..

Surely there's a limit to the danger the UN will expose their inspectors to?

Iraq, fair enough. North Korea, I can see. I can even imagine them parachuting the odd observer into Somalia.

But, Torry?

There's some mad bastards in Torry.

I dunno I shit myself if I've gotta cook for more than 4. lol.gif Do like it but probably just because I can piss about with it in my own (slow) time.

(feel weird giving comments lol) I don't really know to be honest. Part of me was thinking mushroom/white wine risotto and maybe spinach? Maybe too stodgy/overpowering? Other part of me was thinking maybe a light bean salad. Maybe even getting towards citrusy, bit of orange peel (to help on the cut of the pears)? Hard to say though, but think maybe would go for risotto if it was light enough.

Gratin Dauphinoise built within a small round case, with baby carrots and a mustard sauce lightly circled round the dish. :dontknow:

No expert just a keen Masterchef watcher.

• Downvote 1

last weekedn i cooked home made carrot cake and toasted cocount ice cream.

carrot cake was delicious. washed it down with a few cups of proper darjeeling tea from holiday there, canna mind what flush it was.

ice cream tasted it last night. pretty decent for only my second go. used brown suger which i think made the taste a bit too caramely, not to mention the colour brown.

home made stuff like that is ace.

not enough cafes go to the effort of producing home made stuff. seems to me like abn easy business if you do however.

Gratin Dauphinoise built within a small round case, with baby carrots and a mustard sauce lightly circled round the dish. :dontknow:

No expert just a keen Masterchef watcher.

good shout there Dayts! i'd thought of the carrots that night, but my daughter-in-law avoids eating them. but maybe next time! we also came up with the risotto as we were eating, Dervish -- makes for a pretty cheesey dinner. but can you ever have too much cheese? :sheepdance: thanks guys! :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...