Experiments With Food

I'm just about to make a really hot chili for tonight. The experimental part is using the Bushman's Revenge Chilli Sauce that I took home from Cape Town. I've only used their Hot Az Hell sauce before, which they have as a 12 on their hotness scale (up to 10) and this Revenge is at 15 so this will be interesting.

I'm just about to make a really hot chili for tonight. The experimental part is using the Bushman's Revenge Chilli Sauce that I took home from Cape Town. I've only used their Hot Az Hell sauce before, which they have as a 12 on their hotness scale (up to 10) and this Revenge is at 15 so this will be interesting.

more like potentially painful. :omg:

i can't offer an opinion on Kirstie's sucking powers.

and no doubt this will disturb Tup (since i believe he's not into fungis), but Baldrick Sheep inspired me. i went looking for vegetarian recipes. will be making a caramelized mushroom and sweet potato casserole this weekend, with chive dumplings on top. :drool:

Doesn't sound great but interested to see how it turns out. Good luck!

so? was it edible?

• 2 weeks later...

this one's for you Boofon :)

i haven't tried it yet, so can't vouch for how well massaging your kale leaves with olive oil will work. but passing it along anyhoo.

Kale Caesar Salad
IMG_5566.jpg

Prep time
10 mins

Total time
10 mins

Recipe: by Mary

Ingredients
  • 2 anchovy fillets, rinsed and finely chopped
  • 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
  • ⅓ cup olive oil
  • ¾ cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 1 bunch kale, stems removed, chopped

Instructions
  1. In a bowl, use the back of a spoon to mash the anchovy fillets and garlic into a paste. Sprinkle in a little bit of salt to aid in the paste-making.
  2. Whisk in the egg, lemon juice, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce until smooth.
  3. Slowly whisk in the olive oil, starting with a very thin drizzle and whisking vigorously until totally incorporated.
  4. Mix in ½ cup of the grated cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  5. With a tiny bit of olive oil, massage the kale leaves for about 2 minutes. Get every inch of the leaves. They will soften.
  6. Toss the leaves with a few Tablespoons of dressing at a time, until coated to your liking. Top with croutons and grated cheese.

Had a go at some of these:

croquetasdejamon.jpg

Made an utter cunt of it. Didn't recon it needed an egg wash dip before breadcrumbs... pretty much exploded into 1000 bits when it hit the oil (had to chuck it all out too). :poster_oops:

aw poop. but at least you'll know for next time now. shame the chicken couldn't be salvaged though. did just the coating and the stuffed bits explode? or all the chicken too? :(

i'm not much for fruit smoothies (lately been trying to get into herb and fruit/veg infused waters to get more water into me), but found these and did try the blackberry one. the hit of oat flour (made by grinding your dry oatmeal) is really nice. anyhow, for those of you who are into smoothies, and looking for some new flavour combinations to try...

Kale, Pineapple and Almond Milk Smoothie

1 banana, sliced into chunks, frozen is ideal

1 heaping cup fresh pineapple chunks

1 giant handful of coarsely chopped kale leaves, center rib removed from the kale

1 cup cold Almond Breeze Almond Milk

1 tablespoon honey (optional, but nice for added sweetness)

Remove kale leaves from their rough center stalk and coarsely chop. In a blender, combine banana, pineapple, chopped kale leaves, almond milk, and honey (if using). Blend until smooth and no big kale bits remain. Add more almond milk if the smoothie is too thick for your taste.

Vanilla, Blackberry, Oat and Almond Milk Smoothie

1 banana, sliced into chunks, frozen is ideal

1 heaping cup frozen blackberries

1/2 cup vanilla yogurt (or goat’s milk yogurt)

1 cup Almond Breeze Almond Milk

2 tablespoons oat flour (old-fashioned oats ground in a spice grinder)

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

In a blender, combine banana, blackberries, yogurt, almond milk, oat flour, and vanilla extract. It’s easy. Blend until smooth. Add more almond milk if the smoothie is too thick for your taste.

• 1 month later...

The Poundvan has been coming into my work for a few weeks now, great value stuff. Also does stuff like pancakes and cans of juice for 50p, you need to grab 2 as he only deals in pounds, if you're in Dyce or Portlethen for work get this van to replace your current one, the Cloggy ripped us off for year.

poundvan-van-CUTLETTERING.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

from memories of eating the best-i'd-ever-tasted pepper steak in some family-run restaurant some 30 years ago, after a few close but not exactly right attempts, i think i've managed to finally achieve the same result at home last week (albeit with red, not green, pepper. i'm not a fan of cooked green pepper.)

photo-1_zps3881f7a2.jpg

• Site Sponsor

from memories of eating the best-i'd-ever-tasted pepper steak in some family-run restaurant some 30 years ago, after a few close but not exactly right attempts, i think i've managed to finally achieve the same result at home last week (albeit with red, not green, pepper. i'm not a fan of cooked green pepper.)

photo-1_zps3881f7a2.jpg

Is that after you've eaten it LGIR?

photo-1_zps3881f7a2.jpg

Looks great. :trophy: