Aberdeen City Centre

daytripping

4 minutes ago, dave_min said:

It’s not allowed in Scotland, so 🤷🏼

All that I can think of min is that they have been granted permission to implement this pricing policy for a probationary period after applying to do so via the licensing board of Aberdeen City Council.

Any operational change(s) in a licenced hospitality business has to be relayed to the administrative local authority of where the premises is situated. Failure to do so could result in their licence being revoked.

This type of pricing policy has been on the go since the turn of the millennium since when patrons of hostelries have been well and truly shafted by the "take it or leave it approach" of publicans or leisure companies who own licenced premises such as Luminar.

They have free rein to charge whatever they like for goods they have on offer for purchasing or admission fees at any given time and/or day of the week.

19 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

All that I can think of min is that they have been granted permission to implement this pricing policy for a probationary period after applying to do so via the licensing board of Aberdeen City Council.

Any operational change(s) in a licenced hospitality business has to be relayed to the administrative local authority of where the premises is situated. Failure to do so could result in their licence being revoked.

This type of pricing policy has been on the go since the turn of the millennium since when patrons of hostelries have been well and truly shafted by the "take it or leave it approach" of publicans or leisure companies who own licenced premises such as Luminar.

They have free rein to charge whatever they like for goods they have on offer for purchasing or admission fees at any given time and/or day of the week.

Price changes in Scotland need to be in place for at least 72 hours.  There is no way round that.

7 minutes ago, Don Fonte said:

Price changes in Scotland need to be in place for at least 72 hours.  There is no way round that.

That's correct min.

That is one of the primary reasons happy hours were sadly abolished, not long after the implementation of smoking bans in Scotland's hospitality businesses on 26 March 2006, the date the pub trade up here started slowly dying. 

4 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

That's correct min.

That is one of the primary reasons happy hours were sadly abolished, not long after the implementation of smoking bans in Scotland's hospitality businesses on 26 March 2006, the date the pub trade up here started slowly dying. 

Shite min. Name a decent pub that’s closed down since then?

On 9/10/2023 at 11:52 AM, Howard Marks said:

Taxi drivers don't seem to want to work weekend evenings when there is actually demand for them. Would rather be stacked the full length of Back Wynd or wherever, Monday to Friday, 8-4. Weird behaviour. Genuinely like a Mafia this lot. A cartel at worst.

I'm fairly certain they have something to do with the lack of funding and reinstatement of night buses in the City Centre. Definitely some brown envelopes being passed.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/crime-courts/6139603/passengers-vicious-fire-extinguisher-attack-on-aberdeen-taxi-driver/

Amazing they don’t want to work late.

23 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

That's correct min.

Nah it's ever since all those faggotty boozers like Brewdog  and the wanky "look at me drinking IPA" crowds appeared. That's where it all started going wrong. 

5 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

The Oak Tree, The Crown Bar, Carriages, Station Bar, Fraserburgh Football Social Club (an inside job never helped min), The Zoo, and The Mariners, all in the Broch. 

Each had there own unique characteristic but are all no longer. 

Jeez min, I’ve never even heard of these places. When did they close? 20+ years ago?

3 minutes ago, perthshirered said:

Nah it's ever since all those faggotty boozers like Brewdog  and the wanky "look at me drinking IPA" crowds appeared. That's where it all started going wrong. 

That’s when it all started going right.

Mon ih IPAs.

• Dildo 1
Just now, dave_min said:

Jeez min, I’ve never even heard of these places. When did they close? 20+ years ago?

That’s when it all started going right.

Mon ih IPAs.

The Oak Tree closed around the end of 2006. Renamed as Beluga then thereafter The Oak Tree II but building is currently derelict.

The Crown Bar must've went out of business in 2011(ish). 

The Zoo = 2006. Building former part of a Wetherspoon's hotel for the last 7 years or so but no longer trading as Wetherspoon's.

Carriages = 2010. Now part of a doss house.

The Station Bar/The Boozer = 2009. Now part of the same doss house as the above.

FFSC = closed 2 days before smoking ban kicked in. 

The Mariners = 2006(ish). Has subsequently reopened as George and The Dragon, The Black Sands, and The Anchor. Latter only opens as and when required.

26 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

The Oak Tree, The Crown Bar, Carriages, Station Bar, Fraserburgh Football Social Club (an inside job never helped min), The Zoo, and The Mariners, all in the Broch. 

Each had there own unique characteristic but are all no longer. 

Stirling Miners Club

'Smack is gid' smeared on the walls at the entrance 🤣

6 minutes ago, Parklife said:

The smoking ban was/is absolutely magic. Both for most pub goers and for folk working in them. 

I disagree min as being a once-upon-a-time pub-goer up here, as well as working in a couple of boozers and a nightclub for a few years in Fraserburgh.

I don't smoke either. 

It's a way of life for some folk so don't see why they should be dictated to when it comes to smoking, a form of comfort for them.

3 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

I disagree min as being a once-upon-a-time pub-goer up here, as well as working in a couple of boozers and a nightclub for a few years in Fraserburgh.

I don't smoke either. 

It's a way of life for some folk so don't see why they should be dictated to when it comes to smoking, a form of comfort for them.

And they can still smoke, outside.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

I don't smoke either. 

They're not being stopped from smoking. They're just being stopped from making everyone else in the pub smoke too. 

10 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

I don't smoke either. 

Society and tastes change and the drinking culture we once had is nowhere near as prevalent as it once was - thankfully.

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

They're not being stopped from smoking. They're just being stopped from making everyone else in the pub smoke too. 

I know they're not being stopped from smoking but if breathing in passive smoking was lethal (I do understand it may be a symptom that contributes to one's demise) and to encourage a healthier, cleaner environment for patrons to enjoy a drink in, why wasn't it implemented globally after the G8 summit the previous year?