Sevco Thread

1 minute ago, Joe pike said:

Qualifying for the later stages in Europe has bailed them out.

They would be in deep doodoo if they Were'nt still in Europe.

A gamble that's paid off, then. 

We're trying to get to just the group stages on a shoestring. 

Never happening. 

13 hours ago, Millertime said:

Anyone who calls someone a "loser" INSTANTLY becomes a loser

And FYI, I'm not the little bitch who's inferiority complex leads them to think that "rangers" get special treatment

You were wrong and I'm amazed that you are amazed 

You seem to have far worse issues than an inferiority complex I'm afraid to say

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I don't think refs are consciously biased. 

My opinion is that they are reluctant to make brave decisions to the detriment of either of the Old Firm, because of the scrutiny that follows. 

I believe every ref genuinely wants to referee every game fairly, the ones we have here are let down by their own incompetence, egos and fear of the Old Firm. 

Say he sent off Morelos, and someone like Boyd says "that's never a red byraway anuver deshishion agains eh ranjuls" 

You've then got thousands and thousands of huns emboldened in their conspiratorial belief that the SFA seeks to disadvantage them. The refs then get unwanted media attention and potential harassment from the vast swathes of either side of the Old Firm.

Due to the goldfish bowl nature of Scottish football, I think subconsciously referees shit themselves from taking necessary action against certain sides. 

While I agree to an extent with what you are saying, surely referees know this is the world they are entering from the very start? Not like they train to be a ref, get whatever qualifications needed and then suddenly realise the old firm exist and the circus that goes with it? You’d have to be incredibly naive not to realise what you were getting into. 

What really gets me is the acknowledgment that old firm games are refereed differently, the commentators mention it within the first few minutes of the game every time. There’s a ridiculous challenge early and they always go on about a good ref keeping his cards in his pocket due to the occasion. How is that acceptable? 

3 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

While I agree to an extent with what you are saying, surely referees know this is the world they are entering from the very start? Not like they train to be a ref, get whatever qualifications needed and then suddenly realise the old firm exist and the circus that goes with it? You’d have to be incredibly naive not to realise what you were getting into. 

What really gets me is the acknowledgment that old firm games are refereed differently, the commentators mention it within the first few minutes of the game every time. There’s a ridiculous challenge early and they always go on about a good ref keeping his cards in his pocket due to the occasion. How is that acceptable? 

The second paragraph... spot on... aside from the use of “old firm”, that term died in 2012.

A tackle in a Dons v Killie game that would be a yellow is just a wee talking to in the Glasgow Derby & “sensible refereeing” 

It’s an accepted practice & acknowledged as such in the media, but SHOULD be completely unacceptable. 

4 hours ago, For Fecks Sake said:

First real laugh of the day courtesy of BBC Gossip page -

"Pundit Danny Murphy reckons his former Liverpool team-mate Steven Gerrard could pull off a sensational loan move and bring out-of-favour Tottenham midfielder Dele Alli to Rangers. (talkSPORT via Scottish Sun)

Lets just ignore how they would fund the £100k + weekly salary shall we :dontknow:

Can't imagine him and Jose are amigos...ghost goals and all that.

Dele will have way better offers in Jan, if a deal has not been done already...

3 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

A big name in albeit on loan could keep the headlines away from a big name out raising cash.  Youd think theyd learned their lesson by not selling the fat oaf when he looked decent.  That ship has sailed but either full back or Kamara or some such could keep the wolf from the door.  High risk.  Hopefully. 

You really think there's a big market for pen king Tavernier, I just can't see it.

2018    Do you really think they'll be able to sell Morelos because he's a fat obnoxious fucktard with an attitude problem, an inflated ego but at least he scores goals

2020   Do you really think they'll be able to sell Tavernier because he  cant  defend for toffee, has the positional sense of Bhutan scores goals apparently for fun

Seeing a commonality develop there?  Put it this way.  Doubt they'd get any more than they would now and in case you haven't been following, they're desperate for cash and a player sale, an actual real one not a DR exclushif, on which to inflate the rest of their squad.

1 hour ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Second paragraph I totally agree. Hate when they do/say that. We're told to accept that's normal, though. Shite.  

Re the first paragraph: 

Yeah I agree. I think they know that they'll have to be strong, but unfortunately, they aren't. I'm not sympathising with the cunts, they need to grow a set. I'm just saying as a human your subconscious can override your gut instinct, without you even realising. 

Due to the aforementioned shallow nature of Scottish footballs pond, it's likely some of the top flight refs did grow up supporting one of the old firm. As we're such a small nation, it's impossible to keep them away from these teams like they do in England. 

Whilst I don't think there's outright corruption with Scottish refs, I think there's definitely bias that only someone deliberately not looking couldn't see 

17 minutes ago, The beard of mcinnes said:

He's a terrible player, who scores loads of goals from set pieces so gets talked up.
Plus English football is awash with right backs - he's a low level championship player at best and that isn't where the money they would want will come from.

Tavernier strikes me as a bit of a flat track bully, who plays more like a right sided midfielder with SEVCO as they are on the attack 70% of the time in the majority of their matches.

Defending isn’t really required a lot of the time playing for them.

The problem is he’s not good enough to play for a team in England who play that way.

He might be good enough for a Brighton or a Crystal Palace type team, but conversely, they’re defending most of the time & that’s not his strength. 

I thought Tavernier was utterly shite in his first few seasons up here and that Logan was by far the better full back. I've now reassessed my thinking. Of course he suits sevco brilliantly as he is attacking for 75% of the time. He's not the greatest defender but what he brings to sevco overall I think would mean that there will be teams in the lower half of the EPL that would view him as an affordable option. The fact that he can take free kicks to devastating effect from up to 35 yards out also helps.

For a £250k initial outlay, he will likely net them northwards of £5million when he leaves. I don't think it'll happen in January though....he knows the league is as good as won so I think he'll hang around to lift the trophy and seal his sevconian legend legacy as the first captain to win them a championship