Becoming A Dad

weemackie

Anyway, since it's finally fucked off, here's a few grand's worth of advice for free.

There is one golden rule for parenting, and it's not even a rule, just a statement of fact really.

The infant who is nourished by love, particularly in the first few hours, days, weeks and months (they say the first two years are the most crucial) is the infant who will turn into a good child and good adult. It is ALL about love.

I can't ever remember sitting down and doing homework with my kids. I spent a lot of time with them, and inadvertently "instructing" them and "teaching" them in how to think and what is right and what is wrong but I never taught them anything more valuable than thinking for themselves and becoming self-sufficient, in everything.

We never spoiled them with the latest toys or with the latest must-have gadget/game etc. - apart from very occasionally when it fitted what they needed at the time - and as a result, they never badgered us for shit. They knew that they were loved, they knew we looked after them and they never turned into demanding, grasping little bastards as so many do.

My daughter returned to uni today and I gave her "something for the train fare". They love an unexpected couple of notes from time to time and when they know that we're there to look after them and insist they buy a new winter coat or help them by paying the deposit for the flat etc., they don't ask us for unnecessary shit. they can buy their own unnecessary shit.

Time, not money, is key. We were taxi drivers for our kids and given the various activities that we encouraged them to participate in - never our choice, always theirs - we were taxi drivers a lot. Even this holiday, my wife and I had nights with no alcohol so we could pick them up at all hours from various parties/nights out, including Hogmanay.

When you spend time with your bairns, you are spending love. This is ALL there is to successful parenting. there is NOTHING more. Simples.

Fine words and sound advice. As to your last contribution... yes, I will have at least 2 more. Nae only-child nonsense here.

That's already happened Bruce!

Aye min I suppose as your little one is still so young, you'll still be in that spel where you canna mind what it was like before. There's 21 months between my two; I wonder if Chutney would agree, but once they get to 15/16 months - the time when they're semi-conversational and have been walking for a while - you begin to relax a bit and then BANG, the second one comes and you do it all over again, all the while having to keep your now-becoming-self-aware first one happy. I guess at 11 months your older one won't be so self-aware as to become jealous, which can be a tricky thing.

Fun times ahead though - massive benefits of having them so close together. All the best min!

Aye min I suppose as your little one is still so young, you'll still be in that spel where you canna mind what it was like before. There's 21 months between my two; I wonder if Chutney would agree, but once they get to 15/16 months - the time when they're semi-conversational and have been walking for a while - you begin to relax a bit and then BANG, the second one comes and you do it all over again, all the while having to keep your now-becoming-self-aware first one happy. I guess at 11 months your older one won't be so self-aware as to become jealous, which can be a tricky thing.

Fun times ahead though - massive benefits of having them so close together. All the best min!

You're completely right Mr Banner. Have also found my daughter and I spending a lot more time one on one, as Mrs ChutneyLove looks after the wee boy. My wee girl was definitely jealous when the little one came along, but she's chilled out now. The only harm she's likely to do now is suffocate him when she gives him kisses and cuddles. The wee boy adores her though and watches her everywhere she goes. Once he's up and running about they'll play together for sure. I'm glad we did the short gap thing (though with our ages we didn't really have that much of a choice).

• 2 months later...

So what is it, a future dinner lady and failed hairdresser as I predicted or a ned waiting to happen?

And what's the name that is so supposedly nice, so that I might disagree?

• Upvote 3
  • Site Sponsor

Cheers folks.

Hopefully get her home tomorrow.

Amazing feeling and something that will never be replaced by anything.

Long and gruelling time waiting and labour seemed to go on forever but L doing fine. We got engaged 4 years ago yesterday so its quite fitting she came yesterday... its also Grandads 50th today so a good birthday present for him.

I'm very proud and happy.

Congratulations Loon.

Hope both are doing fine.

Savour the moments - all of them - as they grow up so quickly.

Still cost you a fortune in later life too.......!

Congrats

Cheers folks.

Hopefully get her home tomorrow.

Amazing feeling and something that will never be replaced by anything.

Long and gruelling time waiting and labour seemed to go on forever but L doing fine. We got engaged 4 years ago yesterday so its quite fitting she came yesterday... its also Grandads 50th today so a good birthday present for him.

I'm very proud and happy.

It takes a man to make a girl Robo.

I'd get that DNA test sorted out pronto.

Just kidding.

Congratulations min, presume all is well with everyone, some great times ahead! :cheers:

Congratulations to you and the missus Robo. Hope wee Beatrice is doing well.

Surely not? Delusions of royalty? English?

Poshest dinner lady some school will ever have.

Wasn't to my taste either Rocket.

I know you were kidding but what's wrong with the cunt? Name and birth weight bare minimum. It's kid-having etiquette.

Nobody in the NE would inflict that pretentious name on a bairn.

Got to be simple and Scottish, not Keith or Craig for a loon and not Rhona or Morag for a quine.

I know you were kidding but what's wrong with the cunt? Name and birth weight bare minimum. It's kid-having etiquette.

Nobody in the NE would inflict that pretentious name on a bairn.

Got to be simple and Scottish, not Keith or Craig for a loon and not Rhona or Morag for a quine.

I wouldn't really want to announce that on the forum either Rocket.

Agree with Keith. I have a cousin Keith who is a total weirdo.