Summer Signings Confirmed

You know, there's a level of pedancy on this forum, not seen in the wider World. It's beggars belief at times.

Who cares about marathon's.... it could well have been cycling or swimming I used as an example. The point I was making was that age should not be a barrier to fitness. If you think that a 35 year old cannot keep themselves in shape to enable them to perform as they did, at say, 25, then you need to go and study the finer details of sports fitness. Sure, your body will not be the same as it was, and anyone over the age of 30 can testify that they are not the same as they used to be. But then again, most of us don't get paid a salary to be a professional sportsman or woman.

With the correct diet, correct lifestyle and correct fitness regime, anyone aged 30-35 should be able to pour their guts out for 90 mins. Recovery may take slightly longer, but again, we should be using all modern methods of sports science to achieve this goal.

Giving someone the benefit of the doubt because of their age, is no excuse. I admit that it gets harder for pros as they get on, but this should be more to do with injuries than aerobic fitness.

And take your gobs for a shite if you think that modern football is only about short sharp bursts. Most players need to run in excess of 10kms per game - so they should be AT LEAST able to do that within a decent time, in order to be at peak condition throughout the game. Any pro not able to complete a 10km run in sub 40mins, should be binned!

Fitness is not just about conditioning of the body, but also conditioning of the mind.

Some shite spoken here, but certainly nae from me. Heid cases so ye's are ;)

TWL its not pedantry its a valid demolition of your shite point.

No one is saying you cant be extremely fit at 35, what they are saying is, that it is you will not be as fit as a 27 year old who is also an elite sportsman.

Rae is still extremely fit but biology, sports science, the laws of physics are immutable. The body degrades as it gets older. Eddie Izzard managed to run 43 marathons at age whatever, lets say 50. But a 27 year old could have run those 43 marathons substantially quicker than Izzard with the same training.

Age is most definitely an excuse. If Rae was playing in a league exclusively full of 35 year olds then his age would be no excuse.

He's not.

You know, there's a level of pedancy on this forum, not seen in the wider World. It's beggars belief at times.

Who cares about marathon's.... it could well have been cycling or swimming I used as an example. The point I was making was that age should not be a barrier to fitness. If you think that a 35 year old cannot keep themselves in shape to enable them to perform as they did, at say, 25, then you need to go and study the finer details of sports fitness. Sure, your body will not be the same as it was, and anyone over the age of 30 can testify that they are not the same as they used to be. But then again, most of us don't get paid a salary to be a professional sportsman or woman.

With the correct diet, correct lifestyle and correct fitness regime, anyone aged 30-35 should be able to pour their guts out for 90 mins. Recovery may take slightly longer, but again, we should be using all modern methods of sports science to achieve this goal.

Giving someone the benefit of the doubt because of their age, is no excuse. I admit that it gets harder for pros as they get on, but this should be more to do with injuries than aerobic fitness.

And take your gobs for a shite if you think that modern football is only about short sharp bursts. Most players need to run in excess of 10kms per game - so they should be AT LEAST able to do that within a decent time, in order to be at peak condition throughout the game. Any pro not able to complete a 10km run in sub 40mins, should be binned!

Fitness is not just about conditioning of the body, but also conditioning of the mind.

Some shite spoken here, but certainly nae from me. Heid cases so ye's are ;)

You've nae clue. Nae clue at all. It's nothing to do with what he has to do but keeping up with the lads who are at their physical peak.

Ryan Giggs has kept himself in fantastic shape, so did David Beckham. Both of them had to adapt their game and play a different position from where they made their name due to the fact their optimum fitness level couldn't compare to those in the opposition or their team mates who play the same role.

Now look at Gavin Rae. He was asked to play the same role he always had and couldn't get up and down the park like he always had. It's only natural. Maybe if he'd read a book or something he'd be fine.

You've nae clue. Nae clue at all. It's nothing to do with what he has to do but keeping up with the lads who are at their physical peak.

Ryan Giggs has kept himself in fantastic shape, so did David Beckham. Both of them had to adapt their game and play a different position from where they made their name due to the fact their optimum fitness level couldn't compare to those in the opposition or their team mates who play the same role.

Now look at Gavin Rae. He was asked to play the same role he always had and couldn't get up and down the park like he always had. It's only natural. Maybe if he'd read a book or something he'd be fine.

Agreed - add in the fact that Giggs now plays about 20 games a season instead of the 45 he played when he was 10 -15 years younger. That's because he would struggle to play every game due to his age.

Rae has played nearly every game for us last season.

TWL is spikkin shite

Agreed - add in the fact that Giggs now plays about 20 games a season instead of the 45 he played when he was 10 -15 years younger. That's because he would struggle to play every game due to his age.

TWL is spikkin shite

Exactly.

I was just talking as opposed to Eddie Izzard.

Touche.

Maybe we should feed our players the same sorts of vitamin tablets that Lance Armstrong took....

Anyway, let's move on. I'm sure you all think you're right and I'm wrong, and let's be honest here, I think the complete opposite.

God help Barry Robson then as according to some of you lads, he should be on a Saga holiday instead of playing professional football. If you cannae cut it at SPL level at 35, then you should hang up your boots.

Maybe we should feed our players the same sorts of vitamin tablets that Lance Armstrong took....

Anyway, let's move on. I'm sure you all think you're right and I'm wrong, and let's be honest here, I think the complete opposite.

God help Barry Robson then as according to some of you lads, he should be on a Saga holiday instead of playing professional football. If you cannae cut it at SPL level at 35, then you should hang up your boots.

Fit? No one is saying its not possible to 'cut it' at SPL level at 35.

They are saying, at 35 you aint going to be as good or as fit as you were at 25

And unless you've got a manager and coaches who are fairly switched on and realises you have to play them less, or convert them to a different role in order to prolong their ability to 'cut it', then they are going to go down hill even quicker.

Barry was delighted to finally be joining his local club."I think it's something I have always wanted to do, it's something my family have always wanted me to do and I am very privileged to be able to join now. I know how big a club this is, I know how good a club it is and it's always a club I wanted to play for and I am just glad I am getting the opportunity to do that."

3te6j3.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20130603/barry-robson-agrees-to-join-the-dons_2212158_3199045

Barry was delighted to finally be joining his local club."I think it's something I have always wanted to do, it's something my family have always wanted me to do and I am very privileged to be able to join now. I know how big a club this is, I know how good a club it is and it's always a club I wanted to play for and I am just glad I am getting the opportunity to do that."

:angry2::clangers2::hysterical:

TWL is spikkin shite

He is indeed. I reckon the whole RDU ordeal has taken its toll on TWL. He hasn't been the same since being asked to vacate his seat.

Speaking more generally, the whole 'legs have gone' thing is often misunderstood by folk who've never played football at any level. Many people seem to relate this to an ability to run long distances and last the full 90 mins.

In actual fact, an adult male athlete will reach the peak of their powers in terms of aerobic and cardiovascular fitness. Looks the world record times for 5,000,10,000 and even the marathon. All the best times in history have been posted by men in their mid to late 30s.

In football, as you move into your thirties, you'll still be able to run as strongly as ever, however, it's spring, flexibility and quickness over a few yards that begins to deteriorate. Players like Hughes and Rae have lost that ability to compete with younger players in the center of midfield, their legs are just too slow, which leads to them losing out on 50/50s, being beaten to first balls and just generally being dominated. We just weren't at the races last season in the middle of the park.

There are obvious exceptions to the rule. Players who are able to pick up on these changes, react to them and re-invent their game. Franck Sauzee was one of the best players I've seen in the SPL, outside the old firm. He was slower than a week in jail, but had adapted his own game to aid his longevity. The likes of Gavin Rae are either too stupid to realise this, or maybe just too limited to make the necessary adjustments in their game.

Not a great example, but I noticed this myself. I play football at a good level and I'm as fit as ever. I destroy all the 20 year old lads when it comes to the beep test and any sort of distance running, but I've noticed that as I've got older my legs don't react to situations as quickly. Unfortunately my legs are definitely going!

• Upvote 2

I thought Robson was out of contract didn't realise he was still under contract with Sheffield United? It says its a pre-contract agreement.

Still under contract down there til end of June as stupidity of clubs across the board have contracts running out then. Just like the stupidity of us still paying wages to players who effectively left last day of season and not returning but we will pay them extra 6 or 7 weeks when there is no real need to - end contracts on last day of season or end of May at latest. Not like our club can afford to piss away money!!

We're all renewing, although retain our disappointment in the way this was handled, and reasons given. Would you believe that 'easier for logisictics' were given as one of the main factors for closing the RDU? That from our new Head of Community, who it appears had the casting vote, even though many Board members were opposed to the proposal.

As it happens, we're struggling to get seats together and may end up in Main Stand.

Good man.

...and welcome to Bazza Robson.

Fit? No one is saying its not possible to 'cut it' at SPL level at 35.

They are saying, at 35 you aint going to be as good or as fit as you were at 25

And unless you've got a manager and coaches who are fairly switched on and realises you have to play them less, or convert them to a different role in order to prolong their ability to 'cut it', then they are going to go down hill even quicker.

This is the SPL we're talking about - not Serie A, Bundesliga or EPL! We don't need a Giggs or a Scholes.... we need someone able to run around for 90 mins however, and give enough to merit being in the side. Alas, I don't think Rae had either component, even in a shite Aberdeen side, in an even worse league.

I like how you keep changing the point as each of your previous ones get written off as shite

You need to go back to 'O' Grade English mate.... seems you have difficulty reading and comprehending the subject matter.

Not a great example, but I noticed this myself. I play football at a good level and I'm as fit as ever. I destroy all the 20 year old lads when it comes to the beep test and any sort of distance running, but I've noticed that as I've got older my legs don't react to situations as quickly. Unfortunately my legs are definitely going!

You need to work on exercises that promote fast twitch muscle growth.

Just sayin.

What's 'O' grade English? You're surely nae that old TWL?!

42 dude..... I come from an era where gaining 49% or less in an exam was deemed a fail. Not this modern day shite where rewarding failure is a given. :suicide: