U20's Thread

I think McInnes is a manager will never bring through youngsters regardless of talent as it is to much of a risk and he is naturally conservative - for the record I don't think 5 mins at the end of a game once a season, and then being dropped regardless of how you perform equates to giving youth a chance. This approach is evidenced by his time at both St Johnstone and Aberdeen and whilst I'm not familiar with his approach at Bristol City, I consider signing generic journeymen who can play in any position is the sign of someone that hates playing youth and I do know he signed Ricky Foster whilst in Bristol!

I guess the question is does it matter? From McInnes point of view he's doesn't care about bringing through youngsters, just being solid in the league and cups. I think as long as he does that he'll stay in the job, although I'm not convinced it will give him a chance of getting a job elsewhere. Also, bringing through youngsters can not be seen as a priority to the board, as if it was McInnes would be sacked - McInnes can moan about players not coming through but if it was part of his remit he would have to make it happen, whereas it very much seems like an after thought with no coherent strategy in place.

What worries me is that McInnes is actually harming our youngsters development by not letting them play, and he then creates a self fulfilling prophecy of them not being good enough on account of them never developing. It's been hinted in the press Cammy Smith wanted out on loan for the last few seasons and similarly I think Scott Wright was blocked from going out on loan this season. I would actually prefer Aberdeen/McInnes to loan out more players or even let young players leave for free if they're say 19 and not contributing to the first team to allow them to play and develop. However, I'd insert a buy back/future sales clause so if they do develop we could have first option on taking them back or make some profit.

I think McInnes is a manager will never bring through youngsters regardless of talent as it is to much of a risk and he is naturally conservative - for the record I don't think 5 mins at the end of a game once a season, and then being dropped regardless of how you perform equates to giving youth a chance. This approach is evidenced by his time at both St Johnstone and Aberdeen and whilst I'm not familiar with his approach at Bristol City, I consider signing generic journeymen who can play in any position is the sign of someone that hates playing youth and I do know he signed Ricky Foster whilst in Bristol!

I guess the question is does it matter? From McInnes point of view he's doesn't care about bringing through youngsters, just being solid in the league and cups. I think as long as he does that he'll stay in the job, although I'm not convinced it will give him a chance of getting a job elsewhere. Also, bringing through youngsters can not be seen as a priority to the board, as if it was McInnes would be sacked - McInnes can moan about players not coming through but if it was part of his remit he would have to make it happen, whereas it very much seems like an after thought with no coherent strategy in place.

What worries me is that McInnes is actually harming our youngsters development by not letting them play, and he then creates a self fulfilling prophecy of them not being good enough on account of them never developing. It's been hinted in the press Cammy Smith wanted out on loan for the last few seasons and similarly I think Scott Wright was blocked from going out on loan this season. I would actually prefer Aberdeen/McInnes to loan out more players or even let young players leave for free if they're say 19 and not contributing to the first team to allow them to play and develop. However, I'd insert a buy back/future sales clause so if they do develop we could have first option on taking them back or make some profit.

That would be pretty arrogant, imo.

We couldn't develop them properly but somebody else can but we still deserve a share of fee or first refusal. Why would somebody who has been dumped want to come back, anyway? I know it happens but they're wunderkind's (e.g. Martin Ødegaard) and I'm fairly certain we possess none of those.

I'm pretty sure if we had any young player with genuine talent he would be in the first team right now (Maddison isn't ours) or at a bigger club.

• 2 weeks later...

Aberdeen U20 fixtures in January:

Game: St Mirren v Aberdeen
Date: Monday 16th January
Kick-off: 6.00pm
Venue: The Paisley 2021 Stadium

Game: Ross County v Aberdeen
Date: Thursday 19th January
Kick-off: 1.00pm
Venue: Highland Football Academy, Dingwall

Game: Aberdeen v Falkirk
Date: Monday 23rd January
Kick-off: 2.00pm
Venue: Glebe Park, Brechin

Game: Aberdeen v Celtic
Date: Thursday 26th January

• 2 weeks later...

Mutch, Robertson, Wells, Thomas (Capt), M’Bayo, Roscoe, MacLennan, S Ross, Dangana, Anderson, Norris.

subs - Craddock (GK), Hutchison, Omolokun, MacPherson, Taylor, E Ross, Meres.

St Mirren team - Henry, McNaughton, Barclay, MacPherson (Capt), Fjelde, McKendry, Todd, McBrearty, Orsi, Clarkson, McLear.

subs - Langfield (GK), Breadner, Reilly, Fawkes, Scally, Johnston, East.

Aberdeen U20 fixtures in January:

Game: St Mirren v Aberdeen

Date: Monday 16th January

Kick-off: 6.00pm

Venue: The Paisley 2021 Stadium

Game: Ross County v Aberdeen

Date: Thursday 19th January

Kick-off: 1.00pm

Venue: Highland Football Academy, Dingwall

Game: Aberdeen v Falkirk

Date: Monday 23rd January

Game: Aberdeen v Celtic

Date: Thursday 26th January

How much do we pay Brechin to ruin their pitch?

Another couple of inclusions from the 17's in the squad for today's game.

Young Chic been knocking on the door for a while, and if it wasn't for a bad injury last year would probably have been given the opportunity before now. Brilliant experience for them.

Shame your loon is injured, would have been great experience getting a steady run. Hope he recovers soon!