U20's Thread

Well celtic have got Tierney,McGregor, Forrest homegrown plus brown, Armstrong, Gordon from other Scottish teams.

jack is younger than forrest so... we also have consi as homegrown

we then have tierney and mcgregor - tierney is quality, mcgregor is 24 this year, has only just hit 100 games played and isn't actually any good he wouldn't get in our team, nowhere near it

so overall I'm not really seeing how they are significantly better than us in this regard

the difference is in perception, every youngster who gets in their team is immediately hyped by the weegia as the next (insert tim/hun from past), tierney has been everything from dalglish to mcgrain ffs

across the city there's £6m rated barrie mckay who also wouldn't get in our team - who's giving you that for him...

Thanks Ollie.Aberdeen u17s top and Celtic the games in hand. Could still be close.That was a fine win at Dundee United,job done,three more points.Was it at Gussie Park. .Good to see Dean lead by example with the goal.Well done and hope he is rewarded with a game tomorrow.

Thanks Ollie.Aberdeen u17s top and Celtic the games in hand. Could still be close.That was a fine win at Dundee United,job done,three more points.Was it at Gussie Park. .Good to see Dean lead by example with the goal.Well done and hope he is rewarded with a game tomorrow.

It was at Gussie Park, aye. Now known as the GA Arena. Was strange to see Barry Robson in one dugout, Willo Flood in the opposite, but their enthusiasm to the game must surely rub off on the lads. Dean gets the credit for the goal but a real team effort to get the points.

Cheers. That Celtic game and Rangers game will be pivotal. Hope they can pull it off. Be some achievement!

It would indeed. I've banged on for a while about the talent in and around this age group. I think with the consistent level of performances and current league position gives me a wee bit of vindication, but if they went on to win the title would surpass my expectation. As said, it'll still be very tough and I think they will need to win all their games, but it's definitely doable.

Decent game, probably just deserved the win on the balance of play, but couldn't have argued if saints had gained a point. Very good performance from Sam Roscoe, best I've seen him play. Always in the right place, read the game very well and couldn't have done anything at the saints goal, although I'd have to see it again. A resurgent Jamie Henry probably just shaded him for man of the match imo, a great performance from him. Scott Wright always a danger, but we just didn't get him on the ball often enough. Deano played the last 15. A calm head when needed and didn't give the ball away. Perth was fucking freezing.

slightly off topic here but did anyone hear the sportsound interview with Andy McLaren on Radio Scotland recently? The gist was that there are loads of kids throughout Scotland who are priced out of playing football and we are missing out on so much talent. The academies are a great idea in theory but how are certain parents to be expected to travel the length and breadth of the country so their kids can play football when they can't pay the weekly fee for them to turn up at youth football clubs?

Has football really become completely middle class now?

I didn't actually hear the McLaren bit (in the car) but I heard who I think was Elvis speaking about it interspersed with Graeme Spiers shrieking "I know all about the working class" but then adding the invaluable contribution "but my kids want to play rugby, netball and golf" just to completely disprove his first point!

Spiers was a complete embarrassment last night, he was put in his place by Tom English when he started babbling on about working class footballers and how he's glad we've moved away from kids playing in the street.

slightly off topic here but did anyone hear the sportsound interview with Andy McLaren on Radio Scotland recently? The gist was that there are loads of kids throughout Scotland who are priced out of playing football and we are missing out on so much talent. The academies are a great idea in theory but how are certain parents to be expected to travel the length and breadth of the country so their kids can play football when they can't pay the weekly fee for them to turn up at youth football clubs?

It certainly is in Australia.

Decent game, probably just deserved the win on the balance of play, but couldn't have argued if saints had gained a point. Very good performance from Sam Roscoe, best I've seen him play. Always in the right place, read the game very well and couldn't have done anything at the saints goal, although I'd have to see it again. A resurgent Jamie Henry probably just shaded him for man of the match imo, a great performance from him. Scott Wright always a danger, but we just didn't get him on the ball often enough. Deano played the last 15. A calm head when needed and didn't give the ball away. Perth was fucking freezing.

Do you think it benefits your boy playing against guys 2 or 3 years older than him?

The thing is, the bar has been raised. The legends of yesterday would be mediocre by todays standards. If we want to produce better players then we need to provide better coaching and that comes with a price.

• Downvote 1

The thing is, the bar has been raised. The legends of yesterday would be mediocre by todays standards. If we want to produce better players then we need to provide better coaching and that comes with a price.

the bar has been raised but does that mean we ignore young kids with raw talent because they can't afford to pay?

the bar has been raised but does that mean we ignore young kids with raw talent because they can't afford to pay?

Ideally not, but what's more likely to yield better results? A professional coaching outfit with accredited staff or Doogies Fitba training down the park?

Ideally not, but what's more likely to yield better results? A professional coaching outfit with accredited staff or Doogies Fitba training down the park?

thats doesn't necessarily have to be the choice. there are obviously talented players who can't afford to pay to play each week. Surely it should be up to the clubs and SFA to unearth the raw talent and pay to coach this talent, no?

The professional coaching approach hasn't exactly unearthed much talent for AFC during Mcinnes's tenure here.

thats doesn't necessarily have to be the choice. there are obviously talented players who can't afford to pay to play each week. Surely it should be up to the clubs and SFA to unearth the raw talent and pay to coach this talent, no?

The professional coaching approach hasn't exactly unearthed much talent for AFC during Mcinnes's tenure here.

So professional that we only started scouting in Mearns last year. McInnes hasn't had the time to establish a proper youth development program yet. I'd say we're improved under him in that department considering the mess he inherited.

So professional that we only started scouting in Mearns last year. McInnes hasn't had the time to establish a proper youth development program yet. I'd say we're improved under him in that department considering the mess he inherited.

yet there's nobody ready to step up and those that maybe can get a token two minutes

Same goes for the whole of scotland, this professional approach has probably seen the least amount of quality youth players in scottish fitba history.

I'm not saying we should scrap the professional coaching but something needs to be done to get more kids playing the sport and not just those who's parents can afford it.