U20's Thread

No hopers in terms of there being no future for them at Aberdeen is accurate enough.

Danny Rogers aside none of the lads are being deemed good enough to even get a game in Championship/League 1 level so I highly doubt they are ever going to make the step up to at present the 2nd best team in the country.

Why would they sign for Celtic?

We're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen min. :scarf:

No hopers in terms of there being no future for them at Aberdeen is accurate enough.

Danny Rogers aside none of the lads are being deemed good enough to even get a game in Championship/League 1 level so I highly doubt they are ever going to make the step up to at present the 2nd best team in the country.

I agree that in the end most will leave Afc and find a lower level.

But do you think this is how the clubs views them already? I would see the loan spells for players around 19/20/21 as the last chance to prove themselves before the club decides if they are "no hopers".

The fact few of them are going on to do that is a problem of course.

Going back to the original point, I still think that regardless of why they are being loaned out, some of those players would have helped improve the overall placing in the development league. But I don't think the club are too concerned about where the development league team places - its just not a priority.

For all I know Hibs might have a much more mature development team lining up each week, maybe they don't loan out so many 19/20 yo players - but the players they might still be way below SPFL level.

Am I making any sense?

I agree that in the end most will leave Afc and find a lower level.

But do you think this is how the clubs views them already? I would see the loan spells for players around 19/20/21 as the last chance to prove themselves before the club decides if they are "no hopers".

The fact few of them are going on to do that is a problem of course.

Going back to the original point, I still think that regardless of why they are being loaned out, some of those players would have helped improve the overall placing in the development league. But I don't think the club are too concerned about where the development league team places - its just not a priority.

For all I know Hibs might have a much more mature development team lining up each week, maybe they don't loan out so many 19/20 yo players - but the players they might still be way below SPFL level.

Am I making any sense?

Your making sense but you always stretch the point out over 4 or 5 paragraphs :laughing:

I genuinely believe the club feels there is 'no hope' of developing some of the current players out on loan. Storie, Shankland and Smith being prime examples. The chance they have been given is sink or swim and from what I can tell they are sinking...

The two young lads who I would certainly highlight as being the best prospects in the current crop are Wright and Frank Ross. McInnes has kept these two as he obviously feels they can be developed/make the step up now.

Your making sense but you always stretch the point out over 4 or 5 paragraphs :laughing:

I genuinely believe the club feels there is 'no hope' of developing some of the current players out on loan. Storie, Shankland and Smith being prime examples. The chance they have been given is sink or swim and from what I can tell they are sinking...

The two young lads who I would certainly highlight as being the best prospects in the current crop are Wright and Frank Ross. McInnes has kept these two as he obviously feels they can be developed/make the step up now.

All three have had exposure to the first team though. They weren't good enough to cement a place. Wouldn't call them no-hopers as there clearly was hope at one point.

He did get a full 90 minutes with the 20.s today but his development has went backwards, no longer captain and on the likes of Saturday travelled to Edinburgh with Montrose to sit on the bench the whole game, back again to Edinburgh today, his schedule is brutal. He's the best 20's player though and i;m sure he'll make the first team, just needs to tough it out.

Sounds promising. I'd love to see more of the young lads really step up and claim a first team place for themselves. It won't be easy with the strength we have in the first 13/14 players but they are really the only ones who can push on and do everything they can to force their way in.

I would force these pish wee diddy teams to play loaned youth players from top clubs every week. They contribute fuck all else to Scottish football so may as well make some use of them.

:0)

I quite like the unequivocal nature of this post.

I'd far rather we got a couple of good players who would improve the first team squad, than good results like we did when we won the league two season ago - with Clangers and Robson playing for them ffs!

Results don't mean anything at that level.

Never mind a couple of players, if we could get 1 decent quality player per year it would be a good result. Don't mean that in a facetious way, 90%+ are never going to make it at Aberdeen but we do need to find a way of getting at least 1 to be making regular appearances for the first team. Problem is now for the young players they have to get past players like Storey, O'Connor and Pawlett who would be first picks for pretty much everyone else in the league.

Making it tougher to get into the first team could be a benefit in many ways

Look at some of the players Celtic have brought throuh- whether Tierney as a youth player or other young players they have bought in and developed.

The challenge will make those that have it in them raise their game

Admittedly Celtic have advantages in that the rest of their team is often do far above the opposition that they can chance a youngster or two but the point still stands- playing with better players makes for better players