U20's Thread

I may have picked this up wrong but when discussing Scotland some bloke on sportsound said we (Aberdeen) haven't had any players under the age of 24 who's played more than 9 minutes for us this season. I find that hard to believe but even if there are a few who have made appearances we still have a poor record of playing youngsters lately.

Surely questions need to be asked of our youth system if we aren't producing anyone worthy of playing for the first team let alone Scotland

I heard that last night as well.Gordon Waddell also quoted that Ryan Fraser was the first home produced Aberdeen player to get Scotland call up since 2008.A seemingly great stat until you realise Chris Maguire came through the Aberdeen youth ranks to play for Scotland in 2011. Aberdeen first team doing so well,team is settled and picks itself.Young players thrive and get a game when the top team is doing poorly.Frank Ross and Scott Wright were outstanding on Tuesday night at Balmoor but as much chance of a game tomorrow lunchtime as I have.

I heard that last night as well.Gordon Waddell also quoted that Ryan Fraser was the first home produced Aberdeen player to get Scotland call up since 2008.A seemingly great stat until you realise Chris Maguire came through the Aberdeen youth ranks to play for Scotland in 2011. Aberdeen first team doing so well,team is settled and picks itself.Young players thrive and get a game when the top team is doing poorly.Frank Ross and Scott Wright were outstanding on Tuesday night at Balmoor but as much chance of a game tomorrow lunchtime as I have.

Ryan Jack was in the Scotland squad in 2013

http://www.afc.co.uk/news/3369.php#.WMvAQ2-LTcs

Goalkeepers

Matt Gilks (Blackpool)

David Marshall (Cardiff City)

Allan McGregor (Besiktas)

Defenders

Gary Caldwell (Wigan Athletic)

Danny Fox (Southampton)

Gordon Greer (Brighton and Hove Albion)

Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers)

Alan Hutton (Real Mallorca)

Russell Martin (Norwich City)

Lee Wallace (Rangers)

Andy Webster (Heart of Midlothian)

Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)

Midfielders

Stuart Armstrong (Dundee United)

Liam Bridcutt (Brighton and Hove Albion)

Scott Brown (Celtic)

Chris Burke (Birmingham City)

Craig Conway (Cardiff City)

James Forrest (Celtic)

Ryan Jack (Aberdeen)

Gary Mackay-Steven (Dundee United)

James McArthur (Wigan Athletic)

James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)

Steven Naismith (Everton)

Robert Snodgrass (Norwich City)

Forwards

Leigh Griffiths (Hibernian)

Shaun Maloney (Wigan Athletic)

Jordan Rhodes (Blackburn Rovers)

Tony Watt (Celtic

I'm so glad so many of that failed squad are not around any more

I may have picked this up wrong but when discussing Scotland some bloke on sportsound said we (Aberdeen) haven't had any players under the age of 24 who's played more than 9 minutes for us this season. I find that hard to believe but even if there are a few who have made appearances we still have a poor record of playing youngsters lately.

Surely questions need to be asked of our youth system if we aren't producing anyone worthy of playing for the first team let alone Scotland

In league matches only and not counting stoppage time:

Ryan Christie: 274 mins across 6 games.

James Maddison: 970 mins across 14 games

Craig Storie: 9 mins across 2 games

Wes Burns: 576 mins across 13 games

Miles Storey: 280 mins across 13 games

Jayden Stockley: 719 mins across 20 games

If cup matches were included, Scott Wright has got 24 mins.

Bottom line is that loans are brought in to flesh out the squad and we don't pick 11 Scots every week. Therefore average young Scots are not going to be getting much first team action at AFC.

Just on topic of game time, here's the top 10 for minutes in the U20s (league games only):

Sam Roscoe: 1672

Toby Wells: 1573

Dylan Thomas: 1419

Scott Wright: 1394

Aaron Norris: 1375

Frank Ross: 1355

Kesi Omokolun: 1215 (season total)

Connor McLennan: 1123

Bruce Anderson: 1067

Robbie Mutch: 900

Most apps: Roscoe & Wells (18+1 sub)

Most goals: Wright / McLennan / B Anderson / Nuttall (6 each)

Worst discipline: Frank Ross (6 yellow / 1 red)

Good spot Ryan Jack.What a squad that was ! About sums Gordon Strachan up.His selections have been all over the place.I think Gordon's time as Scotland manager is coming to an end.Anyone who thinks we are still in with a chance to qualify probably also believes in the tooth fairy !

Good spot Ryan Jack.What a squad that was ! About sums Gordon Strachan up.His selections have been all over the place.I think Gordon's time as Scotland manager is coming to an end.Anyone who thinks we are still in with a chance to qualify probably also believes in the tooth fairy !

Pawlett was in the squad against Nigeria also.

Possibly but look how good the first team is? Second in the league, already in the league cup final, scottish cup semi final, unlucky not to qualify for further europa league stages. Yes the youngsters need to improve, to get up to this level but this is one of our best teams in a long number of years. I think people are maybe guilty of taking for granted how good a team this is.

Possibly but look how good the first team is? Second in the league, already in the league cup final, scottish cup semi final, unlucky not to qualify for further europa league stages. Yes the youngsters need to improve, to get up to this level but this is one of our best teams in a long number of years. I think people are maybe guilty of taking for granted how good a team this is.

I know how good this team is, I'm not one of the zoomers who constantly look for faults in our team and it's players. This team has a shelf life, it could lose two or three of its vital players this summer. Regardless of where we are in the league we should be producing our own to mix with this team. Celtic produce their own albeit a small amount but they still have their own players. They don't use their position in the league as an excuse for not using their own youngsters.

Frank Ross got a game today ! Good to see. It was just a wee five minute cameo,but he managed some silky touches and looked the part in first team company.It was reward for great display midweek for the u20s and for first time in ages we saw a connection between doing well for the u20s and getting a run in the first team.It is a valuable 5 minutes to add to the league appearances of players under 24 flow chart presentation !!!

I know how good this team is, I'm not one of the zoomers who constantly look for faults in our team and it's players. This team has a shelf life, it could lose two or three of its vital players this summer. Regardless of where we are in the league we should be producing our own to mix with this team. Celtic produce their own albeit a small amount but they still have their own players. They don't use their position in the league as an excuse for not using their own youngsters.

If you look at the top end of leagues these days very few home grown products in the teams

In the papers today that Kenny McLean was at Rangers as a youingster,he was also even earlier part of the Aberdeen fc Glasgow Centre under the tutelage of Peter Weir.He played in games alongside Nicky Low and Ryan Jack.Rangers must not have worked out and Kenny McLean next comes to the fore one Friday afternoon in September 2009 at Balgownie for St Mirren u19s against Aberdeen u19s in a Young Dons side that still included Nicky Low,Ryan Jack,with Scott Bain in goal,Mitch Megginson up front with wee Calum McRobbie who was a great player at youth level.St Mirren won 3-0 and Kenny McLean scored and was outstanding. Just goes to show,you can never tell who might come through from youth teams and academy level ,and that Aberdeen fc could have saved a lot of money,£300,000, if they could !

Were the Aberdeen u17s playing yesterday Ollie,season been a bit stop start with the weather and internationals.Seb Ross midfield last Tuesday at Balmoor,then great for Scotland u17s Friday and Sunday.

The 17's had a hard fought, but very well deserved 1-0 win away to Dundee Utd. Keeps the challenge for the title going. An 8 and 9 point lead over the rangers and Hamilton respectively, and a 13 point lead over Celtic, although they have 5 games in hand. The young Dons now have 7 league games to go, and I think only 7 wins will be enough to secure it. Deano turned 16 yesterday, scored the only goal of the game against Utd, and capped a good week by being called back up for the 20's game tomorrow, so will hopefully get some minutes on the pitch in the absence of Seb, who, as you say is away performing admirably for Scotland 17's.