Glasgow Helicopter Crash

K-9

Praising ordinary Glaswegians for their reaction to the crash, could easily be offset by criticising ordinary Glaswegians for the very fact their city needs to be patrolled by a police helicopter in the first place. Stabbings, gang culture, drug and alcohol abuse, and domestic violence figures that all exceed the national average are, indirectly, the root cause of this accident. But well done for trying to help some injured people.

Fuck me, they're only one down from scousers in the 'victims' chart.

Praising ordinary Glaswegians for their reaction to the crash, could easily be offset by criticising ordinary Glaswegians for the very fact their city needs to be patrolled by a police helicopter in the first place. Stabbings, gang culture, drug and alcohol abuse, and domestic violence figures that all exceed the national average are, indirectly, the root cause of this accident. But well done for trying to help some injured people.

Fuck me, they're only one down from scousers in the 'victims' chart.

The chopper patrols the whole country and goes where it's needed. Doesn't seem that ridiculous to have it in the biggest city.

Horrible thread to be fishing if you are.

It might do now, although I can't remember ever seeing it up here. It was Strathclyde police who contracted the police helicopter.

The ambulance machines cover the whole country, and I think one may also be based in Inverness.

It might do now, although I can't remember ever seeing it up here. It was Strathclyde police who contracted the police helicopter.

The ambulance machines cover the whole country, and I think one may also be based in Inverness.

The point is hundreds of cities have them all over the world and this doesn't seem like a good place to be scoring points.

I'm not really sure what your agenda is here?

People praising Glasgow/Glaswegians for their reaction to the crash gets you riled?

It spent a weekend up here chasing car thieves not long ago.

Yes, when it's being done for blatant political point scoring. I find the whole 'pandering' exercise absolutely sickening, and it's been going on since first thing on Saturday morning. There's no agenda here mate, just an impartial observer who's found the news bulletins and the sound bites from our leading politicians absolutely cringeworthy.

Yes, when it's being done for blatant political point scoring. I find the whole 'pandering' exercise absolutely sickening, and it's been going on since first thing on Saturday morning. There's no agenda here mate, just an impartial observer who's found the news bulletins and the sound bites from our leading politicians absolutely cringeworthy.

Political point scoring and pandering? You'll have to explain...

an impartial observer who's found the news bulletins and the sound bites from our leading politicians absolutely cringeworthy.

I think there is some sense in what you say.

I think at times like this, the media comments should be limited to the Emergency Services - Police chief, fire chief etc - and eye witnesses

I dont like to see Politicians diving all over it. I saw Salmond interviewed on TV, standing next to Gordon Matheson. You could see Matheson agreed with him, but he just stood there in total silence, as to say "Yes I agree" would have been considered a massive boo-boo for the Labour party.

Anyway I see the air accident people have started their investigation.

Agreed, I'd say it's being done with the express intention of diverting attention away from the cause of the crash rather than to big up Glasgow though.

Predictably, the weegies have bought into it, bigtime. They love to blow smoke out their own backsides at the best of times so this kind of thing is manna from heaven to them.

No offence to the people of Glasgow. They're just not very bright.

In fact anything that happens in Glasgow is automatically the most remarkable occurrence of that thing the planet has ever experienced.

And it all comes pouring it now.

Surely you must have more in your life than foaming at the mouth at all things Glasgow related.

I don't really think anyone down here believes helping was purely a Weegie trait or are indeed buying into the sycophantic chat.

All the politicians would be blessing the people of Dundee/Aberdeen/Wick but let's hope we never have to find out.

Quite unbelievable that this has turned into a thread taking cheap shots. Have a word with yourselves.

And it all comes pouring it now.

Surely you must have more in your life than foaming at the mouth at all things Glasgow related.

I don't really think anyone down here believes helping was purely a Weegie trait or are indeed buying into the sycophantic chat.

All the politicians would be blessing the people of Dundee/Aberdeen/Wick but let's hope we never have to find out.

Quite unbelievable that this has turned into a thread taking cheap shots. Have a word with yourselves.

I'm not going to pretend to like weegies out of sympathy if that's what you are trying to suggest I should be doing.

Imagine if the World Trade Centre terrorist attack happened in Glasgow.

The whole of Glasgow would have rallied together and rebuilt the towers from scratch in a matter of week, such is the character of weegies in the face of adversity.

forged in the shipyards i do believe when the city was the powerhouse of the mighty empire.

:cool:

I don't think anyone wants to go down that road on this thread.

I just found it very cringey when some some Wifey (a reverend I think) said 'Only in Glasgow would people rush to help other, only in Glasgow would the city pull together like this' etc

It's great that Glasweigans have pulled together during this dark time and it's no less than anyone would expect, I wish all of you the best. Be proud of the reaction yes but don't try and pass it off as anything close to unique or out of the ordinary. I would expect it of any city or town.

The phrase 'Only in Glasgow' is ridiculous at the best of times and at the very least it's a bit tacky to apply it to the general reaction to this indicent.

I mind being in a taxi years ago with a weegie colleague and the driver was wearing pajama bottoms.

"Only in Glasgow!!" the colleague remarked.

Away and fuck I said.

But I have nothing against Glasgow, quite the opposite in fact.

When you have extremes of behaviour, as tends to be documented moreso in Glasgow than anywhere else in Scotland, the good spirit and the reporting of it is effectively directly scaleable against the darkness that is perpetually cast over the badness of the weegies. It is also a patronising hangover of the class system; if a helicopter crashed through the roof of the Marcliffe during a conference, I doubt the papers would report the goodness of the middle and upper-class delegates coming to their brothers' aid in the same vein as they have done here. It is somehow expected that the plebs will run away, and that Glasgow, rightly or wrongly, and particularly in the pubs of lower Stockwell Street (Clutha, Briggait, Scotia), will have a high proportion of said proles in attendance. It's the "wha's like us" mentality. We do need to big ourselves up from time to time, as Scots we do tend to define ourselves as a friendly & brotherly nation. I agree that it's gone a bit over the top, but I feel it is down to (west-coast) media naughtiness and some lesser-minded individuals buying into it. And by lesser-minded individuals I include the leader of the council Mr (debatable) Gordon Mathieson. He really is a gibbering fucking weasel of a specimen.

I'm not going to pretend to like weegies out of sympathy if that's what you are trying to suggest I should be doing.

I'm not suggesting you should like/dislike anyone you've never met but it's obvious that the "people of Glasgow" chat is ripping your knitting and this thread/subject area isn't really the place for cheap shots.