Glasgow Helicopter Crash

K-9

Can I ask - why is it that some people think the Clutha is / was a "tim pub"??

Over the weekend I heard that the social media comments which someone has been arrested for went something along the lines of "haha - we might have lost seven (the hearts rout at the hands of celtic) but you lost eight (the number of pub patrons killed in the accident)".

I cant confirm the accuracy of this, but (if true), Its clear whoever wrote that mis-identifies the Clutha Vaults as a Celtic pub. Some people earlier on this thread also expressed that opinion.

I must have been in that pub a 100 times or more over the years, but have never once seen or heard anything which suggests the pub (or its patrons) have an affiliation with any football team.

No flags, no memorabilia, no pictures/posters, no team colours etc.

The pub is / was known for its popular music nights and beer garden, not for being a haunt of any particular type of supporter. To the best of my knowledge, they dont even show football in the pub (I might be wrong, though, as I am usually in at night when there are no games on).

I am sure many Celtic fans do drink in it, but then I bet many Rangers fans do also and indeed supporters of all teams.

Just a short distance away, hidden away in a side street, is Annie Millers - an Orcish pub, and make no mistake about it. The Massive union flag and red hand of ulster flying outside it clearly indicate what it is. The difference in presentation and atmsophere between a pub like that and the Clutha is like night and day. (No doubt some rangers fans think such a pub is normal and pubs which have a different appearance or vibe are therefore "tim pubs".)

Once I was in the Clutha and there was a band on - Sparrahawk (I think) - and they had a song which slagged off the Masons and similar secret clubs: in the puerile hun mind, that would certainly be enough to condemn the Clutha as a "Tim pub".

I would regard Celtic pubs as being the likes of the Brazen Head and places like that - which again is very far removed from the Clutha Vaults.

Thoughts?

It's name would be the big clue.

Hi dave_min

I had never really considered what the name meant before. I googled it there and:

"Clutha is a Scottish country dance, in which the eight dancers are arranged in a square set as for the Eightsome Reel[citation needed]. It is a 48 bar reel. An Clutha (more often spelt An Cluadha) is the Gaelic name for The Clyde. It is one of the modern Scottish country dances and was first published by the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society in 1983".[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutha_%28dance%29

So it refers to a Scottish country dance and is also a gaelic name for the river clyde (which it sits right next to).

I am struggling still to see why this would indicate Celtic FC associations? It is because its a gaelic name? Isnt that pretty tenuous?

Most Scotrail stations and Scottish Govt buildings now have gaelic signs on display - even Homebase (DIY store) has Gaelic signs up - are they associated with Celtic too?

Thanks for the info in any case. To be honest some people are so petty that a gaelic name probably would scream "Celtic" at them.

For me gaelic screams "island teuchters" and "dead language" - not sellick :laughing:

Cheers!

In my experience, Irish people and islanders have a tendency to gravitate towards many of the bars with Gaelic sounding names in Glasgow, it's a fairly natural thing to do given they make up such a huge proportion of the population in the city. It's not a stretch to suggest that the Clutha was "tim-friendly". Whether it was a full-blood Celtic shop or not is a different matter, though I'm not convinced that they exist to the same extent as the hun shops do.

Investigators have found no evidence of engine or gearbox failure in the police helicopter which crashed into a busy pub in Glasgow, killing nine people.

Preliminary findings from the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) found the main and tail rotors were not rotating at the time of impact.
The report also stated the Police Scotland helicopter had about 95 litres of fuel when it crashed on The Clutha.
The three crew and six people in the bar died in the crash on 29 November.
The report said that the helicopter took off at 20:45 with 400kg of fuel on board.
It stayed over an area of Glasgow's south side for about 30 minutes before making a short 10 minute foray over Dalkeith in Midlothian, some 38 nautical miles away.
The helicopter was granted permission to re-enter Glasgow air space at 22:18.
The report said: "No further radio transmissions from the pilot were received. Radar contact with the helicopter was lost at 22:22."
Around this time the helicopter was seen and heard by a witness who described hearing a noise like a loud "misfiring car".
The report continued: "He then saw the helicopter descend rapidly. It crashed through the roof of The Clutha Bar, a single storey building on Stockwell Street in central Glasgow."
In its preliminary engineering investigation, the AAIB report said: "The initial evidence indicated that the helicopter struck the flat roof of the single storey building with a high rate of descent and low/negligible forward speed.
"Preliminary examination showed that all the main rotor blades were attached at the time of the impact but that neither the main rotor nor the fenestron tail rotor were rotating."
The report said the helicopter suffered "very extensive damage" during impact but remained "approximately upright".
The AAIB said it managed to conduct a preliminary examination of the wreckage within The Clutha but "the state of the building limited the extent to which examination of the helicopter was possible in situ".

Can I ask - why is it that some people think the Clutha is / was a "tim pub"??

Over the weekend I heard that the social media comments which someone has been arrested for went something along the lines of "haha - we might have lost seven (the hearts rout at the hands of celtic) but you lost eight (the number of pub patrons killed in the accident)".

I cant confirm the accuracy of this, but (if true), Its clear whoever wrote that mis-identifies the Clutha Vaults as a Celtic pub. Some people earlier on this thread also expressed that opinion.

I must have been in that pub a 100 times or more over the years, but have never once seen or heard anything which suggests the pub (or its patrons) have an affiliation with any football team.

No flags, no memorabilia, no pictures/posters, no team colours etc.

The pub is / was known for its popular music nights and beer garden, not for being a haunt of any particular type of supporter. To the best of my knowledge, they dont even show football in the pub (I might be wrong, though, as I am usually in at night when there are no games on).

I am sure many Celtic fans do drink in it, but then I bet many Rangers fans do also and indeed supporters of all teams.

Just a short distance away, hidden away in a side street, is Annie Millers - an Orcish pub, and make no mistake about it. The Massive union flag and red hand of ulster flying outside it clearly indicate what it is. The difference in presentation and atmsophere between a pub like that and the Clutha is like night and day. (No doubt some rangers fans think such a pub is normal and pubs which have a different appearance or vibe are therefore "tim pubs".)

Once I was in the Clutha and there was a band on - Sparrahawk (I think) - and they had a song which slagged off the Masons and similar secret clubs: in the puerile hun mind, that would certainly be enough to condemn the Clutha as a "Tim pub".

I would regard Celtic pubs as being the likes of the Brazen Head and places like that - which again is very far removed from the Clutha Vaults.

Thoughts?

I had assumed right at start it was a tim pub. Stayed in Holiday Inn Express across the road few years back and it was nice Irish Rebel music blasting from band inside so gave bodyswerve.

Really?! I have never, ever heard anything like that in the Clutha (of course thats only my experience).

What were the songs?

No idea - heard something like brave fenian men being sung from outside - like i said made quick assumption and might be wrong but hey better safe than sorry when walking into a pub in Glasgow!!

Fucking hell. How much pish is being talked about in this thread.

So what if Glasgwegians want to be proud of their city. I am sure if something happened in Aberdeen, Aberdonians would all help out and be proud of doing so.

Helicopters very rarely crash in Scotland during police work, its been 23 years since anyone died, hardly a reason to not use them, and hardly a reason not to have them flying over built up areas. Ive had helicopters buzzing over my house for days on end during the summer riots, didn't really feel threatened or in danger due to it.

There was 1 helicopter for the whole country, so if they are using it for sinister means, its hardly an efficient or cost effective way of doing it.

Also, Sheep#1 might have been wrong in saying aberdonians were happy that a few weegies died, but using it as an excuse to have a go at Glasgow, which some folk on here are doing, isnae really that much better.

There was 1 helicopter for the whole country, so if they are using it for sinister means, its hardly an efficient or cost effective way of doing it.

Not following the logic.

Surely if there's only one helicopter for the whole country, and they're using that helicopter for sinister means, then using 100% of the available helicopter resources is an excellent way of doing it.

What's that thing on the front of it... not the spotlight, the other side. Anyone?

Kirsty-Nelis_2751374b.jpg

Yeah, I am not following your logic, because I don't agree with it.

I think its fair enough to question what the police are up to, as I am not the biggest fan of Glasgow police. I just don't see the connection between it and this tragedy??

No... I'm not following your logic because I don't understand what you're saying.

Surely, if there's only one helicopter, then utilising it for nefarious purposes is 100% efficient in terms of nefarious utilisation.

Is that an incorrect assumption?

Fucking hell. How much pish is being talked about in this thread?

There was 1 helicopter for the whole country,

You're doing a grand job of adding to it. There was a Police Scotland helicopter flying again last week. Now they've either did a cracking job of fixing the one that crashed or they have another one.

I'm guessing it's not option number 1.

Im pretty sure it had been reported that it was only helicopter being used in Scotland by the police. Perhaps they have got another one on loan?

Also, I am just disagreeing with your assumption that the helicopter is used purely for a sinister purpose. If it is being 100% used for a sinister purpose then you are correct. I don't agree with that though. Also, there is only so much 1 helicopter could do in a country the size of Scotland. When I lived beside the Ardoyne I was just pretty happy to know there was a helicopter keeping an eye on things in my area during the riot season.

Im pretty sure it had been reported that it was only helicopter being used in Scotland by the police. Perhaps they have got another one on loan?

Also, I am just disagreeing with your assumption that the helicopter is used purely for a sinister purpose. If it is being 100% used for a sinister purpose then you are correct. I don't agree with that though. Also, there is only so much 1 helicopter could do in a country the size of Scotland. When I lived beside the Ardoyne I was just pretty happy to know there was a helicopter keeping an eye on things in my area during the riot season.

I'm not saying it was being used for nefarious purposes, and even if it were the cops would hardly admit to that, I'm simply saying that my natural inclination is to suspect that they were up to no good.

Cops routinely flaunt the law on the ground, so there's no reason for me to think they don't get up to the same kind of breaches of civil liberties in the air, particularly when they have all kinds of high-tech gadgetry bolted onto their helicopter(s). And who's to know what they're getting up to up there? It's not like you can tell who they're pointing their gadgets at.

Last year there was a police/homeland security helicopter hovering about 20 feet above the back of our property, having a good old look around, the fuckers. I don;t recall giving them permission to stare in my windows, but from where they were they could do exactly that.

I ran inside to get my video camera to film them, but they had flown off to fuck with someone else's civil liberties by the time I was back outside.

They routinely fly over the rural areas, using their heat detecting magic to spy out anyone who might be growing weed, and using their binoculars to check out the fields. It seems they've started with the suburbs inna.

I'm not sure about the legality of their snooping, but I don't care for it, nor do I trust those wankers to operate at all within the parameters of the law.

There is currently a loan helicopter from the National Police Air Service at Prestwick Airport (Eurocopter EC135 T2 G-CPSH, formerly of the Chiltern Air Support Unit), it is unclear when this will be stationed at the Glasgow Heliport.

That tells me the "Police" have more than one. One crashed and one that belongs to the National Police Air Service.