Leighton Sacked

Hope we have paid him to keep his mouth shut after this last time...

He is a legend but will go down in my estimation if he pulls this one again!

997351769.jpg

Right enough I only skimmed through that article but I didn't see too much wrong with his comments? Didn't seem to overtly criticise the club or the staff but voiced his disappointment at the timing which seems fair enough given it was a bit of an awkward time to punt a coach. The current timing revealing when it should actually be done.

Bit harsh for some to call him a wage thief and other various names as well when he's represented the club well in his playing career and probably worked relatively hard as a goalkeeping coach. The reality of the situation is that times have changed, and we need a fresh assessment of our whole goalkeeping department.

Edit - The one thing I will say about Jim's comments in that article is that hurdles do not qualify as 'sports science'. Probably just about captures why he is on his way out.

Bit harsh for some to call him a wage thief and other various names as well when he's represented the club well in his playing career and probably worked relatively hard as a goalkeeping coach. The reality of the situation is that times have changed, and we need a fresh assessment of our whole goalkeeping department.

Wage thief (in terms of goalkeeping coach) is not in the least bit harsh. He has been responsible for some fkn shocking goalkeeping "scouting" & (of course) worst of all helping to keep an utterly useless fkr of a keeper at No.1 for about 50 seasons too many. The combination of his shite coaching/assessments of Clangers combined with his utterly useless judgement in "scouting" a decent challenger to oust the useless fkr Clangers has made him one of the worst goalkeeping coaches in the Scottish topflight for many years imo.

Sympathising/excusing him of this just because of what he was for us in his playing days is just fkn BS.

I didn't call him a wage theif but I certainly wouldn't argue against that in terms of his goalkeeping coaching for us.

Spade is a spade.

To be fair to Leighton, he could have gone out and identified de Gea as a great goalkeeper, but our budget only allowed (for much of his time as coach) the likes of Bossu or Brown, in the same way that our playing budget extended to players like Young, McDonald, Ifil, Zola, and Duff. And to bring in a keeper significantly better than Clangers might not have been an option given the budget.

It's hard to say if he is capable of improving a goalkeeper under his tutelage, because when you've got a player like Zola can you really improve him that much?

Doesn't do any harm to fire Leighton off the roof and bring in someone fresh, but given the restrictions he's worked under I'm going to give Bandy the benefit of the doubt.

Great (playing) servant to the club, and probably did his best under difficult conditions as a coach.

• Upvote 8

To be fair to Leighton, he could have gone out and identified de Gea as a great goalkeeper, but our budget only allowed (for much of his time as coach) the likes of Bossu or Brown, in the same way that our playing budget extended to players like Young, McDonald, Ifil, Zola, and Duff. And to bring in a keeper significantly better than Clangers might not have been an option given the budget.

It's hard to say if he is capable of improving a goalkeeper under his tutelage, because when you've got a player like Zola can you really improve him that much?

Doesn't do any harm to fire Leighton off the roof and bring in someone fresh, but given the restrictions he's worked under I'm going to give Bandy the benefit of the doubt.

Great (playing) servant to the club, and probably did his best under difficult conditions as a coach.

His best was fkn useless. Especially at a club with a high average wage compared to most in the league.

Difficult conditions my arse.

He was fkn useless. Plain & simple.

• Upvote 2

Wage thief (in terms of goalkeeping coach) is not in the least bit harsh. He has been responsible for some fkn shocking goalkeeping "scouting" & (of course) worst of all helping to keep an utterly useless fkr of a keeper at No.1 for about 50 seasons too many. The combination of his shite coaching/assessments of Clangers combined with his utterly useless judgement in "scouting" a decent challenger to oust the useless fkr Clangers has made him one of the worst goalkeeping coaches in the Scottish topflight for many years imo.

Sympathising/excusing him of this just because of what he was for us in his playing days is just fkn BS.

I didn't call him a wage theif but I certainly wouldn't argue against that in terms of his goalkeeping coaching for us.

Spade is a spade.

Were you there with him when he scouted (if he even did that at all)? In fact the more likely scenario is that the manager scouts goalkeepers and then asks for the goalkeeper coach's opinion during a trial or video footage. A lot of fans tend to make sweeping assumptions about what a coach has achieved at the club without much evidence to base it on.

How do we know that Leighton truly rates Clangers? He might be aware that for a long period of time, there wasn't a better available alternative out there. Maybe he's wanted him out for years but the management have had he final say?

I'm not condoning keeping Leighton at the club for this long. McInnes obviously knows far more than we do about his limited ability as a coach but it doesn't make sense to state things as if they are fact when there is actually no way of us knowing.

What I do know about Leighton is that his coaching methods are too traditional because I know people who regularly watch Aberdeen train. It can also be sensed on match days. I trust from what I've seen/heard, and I believe McInnes knows what he's doing, that this is a good move for the club but we certainly don't know enough about Leighton to brand him a wage thief. Remember Leighton's job went a lot further than coaching the first team goalkeepers so he has probably put in a lot of hours over the years and the reality as well is that it's not his fault he's been kept at the club.

This.

• Site Sponsor

Tutelage.

Word of the day right there.

Oh, and +1 for the rest of the words there too Mr Kelt

Were you there with him when he scouted (if he even did that at all)? In fact the more likely scenario is that the manager scouts goalkeepers and then asks for the goalkeeper coach's opinion during a trial or video footage. A lot of fans tend to make sweeping assumptions about what a coach has achieved at the club without much evidence to base it on.

How do we know that Leighton truly rates Clangers? He might be aware that for a long period of time, there wasn't a better available alternative out there. Maybe he's wanted him out for years but the management have had he final say?

I'm not condoning keeping Leighton at the club for this long. McInnes obviously knows far more than we do about his limited ability as a coach but it doesn't make sense to state things as if they are fact when there is actually no way of us knowing.

What I do know about Leighton is that his coaching methods are too traditional because I know people who regularly watch Aberdeen train. It can also be sensed on match days. I trust from what I've seen/heard, and I believe McInnes knows what he's doing, that this is a good move for the club but we certainly don't know enough about Leighton to brand him a wage thief. Remember Leighton's job went a lot further than coaching the first team goalkeepers so he has probably put in a lot of hours over the years and the reality as well is that it's not his fault he's been kept at the club.

This.

Look you are speaking shite if you even attempt to justify Jimbos credentials as a goalkeeping coach.

Most are just being sympathetic towards him because of his history with us as a player.

He was the one that scouted Bossu & he was the one that said in the press how great he was.

He has said countless times how great Clangers is.

The guy was a playing legend

The guy is a fkn useless scout & coach.

Sentiment is clouding yours (& a few others) judgement on him.

Jimbo's gone :cry: He was a legend of a keeper, therefore he must have been a fantastic coach :blahblah1: de fkn :blahblah1:

:applause::notworthy: Jimbo the player legend :wave: With fantastic memories from ALL the fans.

:wave::swear: Jimbo the coach with best forgotten memories of your times here as coach.

:applause: McInnes for begining to sort our goalkeeping problems finally.

Look you are speaking shite if you even attempt to justify Jimbos credentials as a goalkeeping coach.

Most are just being sympathetic towards him because of his history with us as a player.

He was the one that scouted Bossu & he was the one that said in the press how great he was.

He has said countless times how great Clangers is.

The guy was a playing legend

The guy is a fkn useless scout & coach.

Sentiment is clouding yours (& a few others) judgement on him.

Jimbo's gone :cry: He was a legend of a keeper, therefore he must have been a fantastic coach :blahblah1: de fkn :blahblah1:

:applause::notworthy: Jimbo the player legend :wave: With fantastic memories from ALL the fans.

:wave::swear: Jimbo the coach with best forgotten memories of your times here as coach.

:applause: McInnes for begining to sort our goalkeeping problems finally.

I'm not talking shite at all actually. I'm merely pointing out that your ramblings are incoherent and not based on sufficient evidence. At no point have I defended his credentials as a goalkeeping coach, rather this is the one thing I am definitively criticising. I'm glad that we are punting him and looking to improve in this area. It's evidently necessary.

You don't know enough about him to know if he's a decent scout or not. Most of us won't unless we have connections with the club. So that's an assumption based on nothing.

Sentiment is not clouding anyone's judgement on him. I think pretty much everyone is happy with this decision.

He was a goalkeeping legend yes but nobody has said that this, in turn, makes him a fantastic coach. In fact it seems you are the only one who has.

You're pulling stuff out of thin air and with each sweeping statement you make based on no actual evidence, it becomes more and more evident you don't have a clue and are just hopping onto the back of the popular consensus.

We had had no decent keeper sourced since Leighton himself or Snelders. Kjaer came in on a short contract as an old pals act for his former manager.

The keeper position is a bigger joke than the left back position. The blame for that lies with the managers, the keepers and the keeper coach

So those players are the best that could have been recruited at the time, yet you have a massive beef with the previous management of the club and even with the man that chose them? I suppose McGhee and Brown did well for the budget they had then with regards to signings?

That's an awfully hypocritical statement there!

He is there to wind up redstar

It can be the only reason...his managerial record at AFC is considerably worse than Calderwood's...but no place for Jimmy to live on expenses with AFC picking up the bill...his TV work is cringable and he most likely stinks of pish...

So those players are the best that could have been recruited at the time, yet you have a massive beef with the previous management of the club and even with the man that chose them? I suppose McGhee and Brown did well for the budget they had then with regards to signings?

That's an awfully hypocritical statement there!

That's an oversimplification of my point of view, not to mention mostly inaccurate, so your summation is going to have to be discounted until you can produce a more cogent argument.