Leighton Sacked

To be fair to Leighton, he could have gone out and identified de Gea as a great goalkeeper, but our budget only allowed (for much of his time as coach) the likes of Bossu or Brown, in the same way that our playing budget extended to players like Young, McDonald, Ifil, Zola, and Duff. And to bring in a keeper significantly better than Clangers might not have been an option given the budget.

It's hard to say if he is capable of improving a goalkeeper under his tutelage, because when you've got a player like Zola can you really improve him that much?

Doesn't do any harm to fire Leighton off the roof and bring in someone fresh, but given the restrictions he's worked under I'm going to give Bandy the benefit of the doubt.

Great (playing) servant to the club, and probably did his best under difficult conditions as a coach.

So those players are the best that could have been recruited at the time, yet you have a massive beef with the previous management of the club and even with the man that chose them? I suppose McGhee and Brown did well for the budget they had then with regards to signings?

That's an awfully hypocritical statement there!

That's an oversimplification of my point of view, not to mention mostly inaccurate, so your summation is going to have to be discounted until you can produce a more cogent argument.

Right...

1) To be fair to Leighton, he could have gone out and identified de Gea as a great goalkeeper, but our budget only allowed (for much of his time as coach) the likes of Bossu or Brown, in the same way that our playing budget extended to players like Young, McDonald, Ifil, Zola, and Duff. And to bring in a keeper significantly better than Clangers might not have been an option given the budget.

Leighton wasn't to blame for the poor standard of player that came through the door, much like Calderwood, McGhee and Brown (although I'm not sure he signed any of the aforementioned players), even though it was their job to assess the quality of said players.

2) It's hard to say if he is capable of improving a goalkeeper under his tutelage, because when you've got a player like Zola can you really improve him that much?

It is unreasonable to expect players to improve with our current and past wage structure, regardless of the quality of coaching staff (again within our budget)

3) Doesn't do any harm to fire Leighton off the roof and bring in someone fresh, but given the restrictions he's worked under I'm going to give Bandy the benefit of the doubt.

The aforementioned restrictions give a man reason to have the players under him remain stagnant or regress regardless of age or quality.

4) Great (playing) servant to the club, and probably did his best under difficult conditions as a coach.

Undebatable that he was a great player for the club and maybe did his best, but in my mind that was nowhere near good enough. McGhee, Calderwood and Brown, even Aitken, Miller, Miller et all all did their best, but they didn't escape your wrath and I think it's unfair that shit smearer (anyone heard that one before?) does.

Look at the keepers that have been in our game during shit smearer tenures,

Thomas cerny,

Ben Williams.

Craig Gordon,

Jamie MacDonald,

John ruddy

Darren Randolph

Now for the love of fuck, I'd have any of the above and indeed even a black , Estonian, one eyed, lesbian banjo player ahead of Ttwtg.

How Leighton failed to spot they could make a difference beggars belief.

jim is 57.

Even if he was a decent coach he is surely getting a bit old to be putting out the cones every day and kicking footballs around.

Many managers are older yes but doubt they are doing quite as much hands on coaching at 60 as the goalkeeping coach is required to do.

Right...

1) To be fair to Leighton, he could have gone out and identified de Gea as a great goalkeeper, but our budget only allowed (for much of his time as coach) the likes of Bossu or Brown, in the same way that our playing budget extended to players like Young, McDonald, Ifil, Zola, and Duff. And to bring in a keeper significantly better than Clangers might not have been an option given the budget.

Leighton wasn't to blame for the poor standard of player that came through the door, much like Calderwood, McGhee and Brown (although I'm not sure he signed any of the aforementioned players), even though it was their job to assess the quality of said players.

2) It's hard to say if he is capable of improving a goalkeeper under his tutelage, because when you've got a player like Zola can you really improve him that much?

It is unreasonable to expect players to improve with our current and past wage structure, regardless of the quality of coaching staff (again within our budget)

3) Doesn't do any harm to fire Leighton off the roof and bring in someone fresh, but given the restrictions he's worked under I'm going to give Bandy the benefit of the doubt.

The aforementioned restrictions give a man reason to have the players under him remain stagnant or regress regardless of age or quality.

4) Great (playing) servant to the club, and probably did his best under difficult conditions as a coach.

Undebatable that he was a great player for the club and maybe did his best, but in my mind that was nowhere near good enough. McGhee, Calderwood and Brown, even Aitken, Miller, Miller et all all did their best, but they didn't escape your wrath and I think it's unfair that shit smearer (anyone heard that one before?) does.

That's much better, but still an inaccurate/incomplete representation of my argument.

McGhee I've been critical of because he was a cunt of a man who went out of his way to alienate the fans and engineer an out from the second he set foot in the door and realised the job was byond him. Budget constraints were pretty much irrelevant, given his level (lack of) competence. He failed to have a proper pre-season, didn't identify the fact we desperately needed defenders, plugged the gap with Duff and Young, disenfranchised the players to the point they wouldn't even try to play for him, lied about being spat on, dismissed the 9-0 defeat as 'only 3 points', and was so obviously trying to get himself sacked it wasn't even funny.

With McGhee the budget wasn't even close to being the guy's main malfunction.

With Paterson he was a drunken bum who treated the club like a hobby. That was his main problem, and I've actually pointed out that he was being set up to fail given the revelation that he was given circa 75% less than Ebbe with which to offer contracts to players.

With Calderwood, a decent budget, but his problem was he was a grating fat oaf who worshipped the Huns, and assembled a team of unprofessional shitbags who were so disinterested in Aberdeen that they literally stopped playing football as soon as the orange clown was punted.

As far as Leighton is concerned, he has operated with a mediocre first choice keeper whom it would be expensive to replace with a goalkeeper who can walk into the first team. Again, he could go out and identify a world class goalkeeper, but this is a position that the club has obviously not considered a priority, otherwise they would have said, "Jim, here's a sack of cash earmarked for a goalkeeper, Go get one who can operate at a level above Langfield." Didn't happen, and so he grubs around the bargain basement for back-ups to the balloon who wears #1.

As a coach, and not a manager, Leighton doesn't decide what's a priority and what isn't a priority. He's way down the food chain when it comes to spending the transfer budget. If a manager says, "You're stuck with Langfield and there's no cash for a goalie" then Leighton, as has been the case, is stuck working with Langfield. Could Leighton have done a better job of identifying promising young keepers? Absolutely, The dross we've had in has been laughable. Do I also think the goalkeeping position, therefore budget, has been curtailed because successive managers believed we had other positions on the field that required filling ahead of goalkeeper, yes I do.

You've portrayed my argument as a simple, black and white, budgetary issue. The fact is that the managers I've lambasted have had obvious, and pretty significant issues that had nothing to do with the budget, and I've taken those into consideration when I've formed my opinion of them, rather than said, "Och, it's aboot the money."

Aberdeen FC's 3rd best ever keeper.

Under current rules, would've been sent off in the final v Madrid but let's not dwell on that.

Decent shot stopper but ultimately struggled when the pass-back rule came into effect. Shafted by Fergie after the FA cup final v Crystal Palace in 1990. Exceptionally unlucky in his last ever game for the Dons v der Hun with the broken face and all... spoilt his good looks.

My favourite memory of him is having a right go at Willie Miller, he was one of the few who ever dared. Respect for that.

Thanks for the memories bandy-legs.

Bring Snelders Home?

Forgot about him & that he may also be out of a job in cloggyland

AM?

14:00

Steve Banks?

Aye. Just a thought. nae that I'm saying he's up to the job.

Regardless of what he did as a player, he most be one of the worst coaches in the game. His record speaks volumes. This is fantastic news as I know now this is the final nail in climbing frame face's coffin.

+1

All this shite about the money available to us with regards recruiting a No.2 (cos we never once brought in a fkn No.1 challenge) is nonsense.

If money for a No.2 was a problem then Leighton should have sourced at least ONE decent young keeper with POTENTIAL for the same cash we paid the likes of Weaver, Bossu, Brown, Brown two etc.

Yes the manager has the final say but Jimbo brought nothing to the table other than his status as a great keeper & club legend & he lived off that at the club in a coaching capacity for far too long.

Nothing I am saying about him is taking anything away from him as the playing legend that he is but I have zero respect for him as a goalkeeping coach because his record with us is pish.

Simple fact is that if we had just gotten rid of a goalkeeping coach (that hadn't been the player legend for us as Jimbo was) that had had no links to us as a player but had had the same record (& duration) with us as coach then there would be zero arguments backing up his tenure as coach.

He should never have been brought back. I don't grudge, or deny him his chance to prove himself the first time around but McGhee spotted he was pish & got rid. Brown the old dick brought him back out of sentiment & (possibly) also because some thought McGhee had made a mistake because he'd fkd everything else up when in fact binning Jimbo was probably McGhee's only decent call.

Regardless of what he did as a player, he most be one of the worst coaches in the game. His record speaks volumes. This is fantastic news as I know now this is the final nail in climbing frame face's coffin.

Agreed. Utterly woeful record in identifying a solid, dependable keeper.

Something which many clubs with far less cash than AFC have managed to achieve without any problem whatsoever.

So the budget argument is clearly a non starter. Not a valid excuse.

Did he improve any of the keepers he had under his guidance?

Fuck knows. Hard to judge between mildly different shades of shite.

Complete wage thief in that coaching role.

Very happy that McInnes has identified this and we can now move on.

Incompetent goalkeeping has been a huge factor in many failures we have had over recent seasons.

In the interest of balance something afchat prides itself on I think it's only righted recall any great moments from the bandy one too.

Most of memories of his great games are his international games.

V France in 89 at a sodden hampden, we won 2-0.

Australia in the play off for Mexico 86.

West Germany at Mexico 86,

Sweden at home mid 90s after goram walked out of squad.

For the done my mind goes back to the Celtic game when he improved his penalty saving record by 200% saving two spot kicks in the 3-2 win.

In the interest of balance something afchat prides itself on I think it's only righted recall any great moments from the bandy one too.

For the done my mind goes back to the Celtic game when he improved his penalty saving record by 200% saving two spot kicks in the 3-2 win.

i remember that game at Olympic Park. AWESOME display.

One of which was a quite extraordinary double-save... the save from the rebound of the second (I think) penalty in that game is one of the best saves I have ever seen. Made all the sweeter in hindsight by the fact that I'm pretty sure it was Jackie 'Bung' Macnamara who hit the rebound.

One of which was a quite extraordinary double-save... the save from the rebound of the second (I think) penalty in that game is one of the best saves I have ever seen. Made all the sweeter in hindsight by the fact that I'm pretty sure it was Jackie 'Bung' Macnamara who hit the rebound.

Was that the game where Hignett totally strolled it and we all thought we had a top quality player in the ranks?

Was that the game where Hignett totally strolled it and we all thought we had a top quality player in the ranks?

Sure was. He absolutely ripped the piss out of Celtic that night... then spent the next two months ripping the piss out of us before leaving more or less anonymously.

Sure was. He absolutely ripped the piss out of Celtic that night... then spent the next two months ripping the piss out of us before leaving more or less anonymously.

My mate still gives me pelters for getting Hignett on the back of my Dons shirt. He left about a fortnight later too.

Your Roid club new entry is ludicrous.

Calm down min

LouFerrigno1.jpg

Sheepish Kev will be off the list very soon.

c0921.jpg