Leighton Sacked

What ?like how to kick, or like every other keeper, how to beat the ball away when if they were to actually catch the ballet would take the pressure off the defence, old fashioned I know expecting a keeper to catch the ball.

Not always that easy to catch a ball travelling at a rate of knots, as long as it stays out of the net is the main thing.

Nah I'm nae having that the balls travel faster shite,

Back in the 70s and 80s the old minerva football's were hard as fuck but you still saw keepers catching them despite the gloves they wore being g little more than a pair of marigolds with some rubber strips stuck on for good measure,

Youth coaching more technical, fitness and footwork, but then maybe JL thought the first team goalies should already know all the technical stuff

Or, that Jim Leighton is part of a soon to be forgotten Largs Mafia of "coaches", where Scottish football has next to no chance of progression, the longer they hang about like a putrid stink
  • Upvote 1

Nah I'm nae having that the balls travel faster shite,

Back in the 70s and 80s the old minerva football's were hard as fuck but you still saw keepers catching them despite the ones they wore being g little more than a pair of marigolds with some

rubber strips stuck on for good measure,

So despite all the evidence that the newer balls are lighter and move more in the air, you still think the keeper should catch everything, the rule is catch if you can , if not keep it out of the net. Serious question which top class team do you keep goal for?

Yep catch if you can but they are not coached to do that nowadays they are t to beat it away. Three seasons ago i kept count of the amount of times a keeper caught a shot hit at goal on match of the day, over the course of a season ok it's highlights, and granted not every effort on goal is shown but throughout the whole season the count didn't even reach 20.

Now if you think that is an example of good goalkeeping from allegedly the best league in the world then go and have yourself to fuck.

I don't keep goal for any top class team any more than you have chief, ok

But I recall growing up in the late 70s and 80s and watching the likes of Schumacher, pfaff , dessaev, an th world game.

And 90 % of the domestic games keeper catching a vast majority of efforts on goal that made me believe perhaps naively that one of the requirements to be a good keeper was to catch the fucking ball.

Yep catch if you can but they are not coached to do that nowadays they are t to beat it away. Three seasons ago i kept count of the amount of times a keeper caught a shot hit at goal on match of the day, over the course of a season ok it's highlights, and granted not every effort on goal is shown but throughout the whole season the count didn't even reach 20.

Now if you think that is an example of good goalkeeping from allegedly the best league in the world then go and have yourself to fuck.

I don't keep goal for any top class team any more than you have chief, ok

But I recall growing up in the late 70s and 80s and watching the likes of Schumacher, pfaff , dessaev, an th world game.

And 90 % of the domestic games keeper catching a vast majority of efforts on goal that made me believe perhaps naively that one of the requirements to be a good keeper was to catch the fucking ball.

Actually the young keepers are coached to catch , as I said, but it's not always possible, and if they can't then keep it out by any means possible, I don't see what your problem is, the game has changed in the last 20 years, it's moved on , maybe that's why JL has been moved on, I don't remember Him catching every ball, but he was a top class keeper.

I certainly recall keepers of his era catching the ball far more than happens now, the catching and holding of the ball is a lost art nowadays, all this flapping, at the ball beating g it away with the side of the fist(wtf is that all about) I can't remember the last time I saw a keeper come out and catch a cross ball, instead it's this fucking bufty beating or pathetic punches away.

Look I'm not having ago at you it just frustrates me . A flying catch can be a good as a y lo g range effort to watch, and certainly nowadays far far rarer.

I certainly recall keepers of his era catching the ball far more than happens now, the catching and holding of the ball is a lost art nowadays, all this flapping, at the ball beating g it away with the side of the fist(wtf is that all about) I can't remember the last time I saw a keeper come out and catch a cross ball, instead it's this fucking bufty beating or pathetic punches away.

Look I'm not having ago at you it just frustrates me . A flying catch can be a good as a y lo g range effort to watch, and certainly nowadays far far rarer.

Maybe you should come and watch the youth keepers training or playing and then you might see some catches, you shouldn't judge everyone by Clangers standard ?

Right folks me calling Leighton shit smearer, ok from now on I can call folk up on calling langfield clangers?

Or calling Goodwillie evildick.

It depends, would you seriously class a willie as the opposite from a dick? If so, I'd brush up on sex ed pal.

I'm not absolving Leighton of blame, I'm saying it's entirely possible that with a mediocre goalkeeper between the sticks the #1 position was never considered a priority.

The signing of freebies as back up tells me there wasn't a real budget for a goalkeeper, and the club was happy enough to muddle along with clangers between the sticks.

Obviously there's a question over something regarding Leighton, because that's twice now his services have been dispensed with, but whether that's because he's a terrible coach or a miserable cunt I wouldn't pretend to know.

Me thinks you/ve too much time on your hands.

Reading into things too deeply until a mild paranoia sets in and it's all one big conspiracy that you alone can see.

Not that it's a bad thing, I like smoking dope also.

Or, that Jim Leighton is part of a soon to be forgotten Largs Mafia of "coaches", where Scottish football has next to no chance of progression, the longer they hang about like a putrid stink

I understand your "Largs Mafia" reference and you are spot on. Not sure of the Oz equivalent but they have been moved on and now the game here has moved into the 21st century. Sounds like the Scottish game is moving in the same way. Took a long time for both countries!

Me thinks you/ve too much time on your hands.

Reading into things too deeply until a mild paranoia sets in and it's all one big conspiracy that you alone can see.

Not that it's a bad thing, I like smoking dope also.

Just making an observation. Every keeper we've brought in has been a cheap option rather than a serious contender for the keeper's shirt.

The logical conclusion is that the club consider a replacement for Clangers to be of peripheral concern.

I can't deny I'm mad paranoid, though...

Just making an observation. Every keeper we've brought in has been a cheap option rather than a serious contender for the keeper's shirt.

The logical conclusion is that the club consider a replacement for Clangers to be of peripheral concern.

I can't deny I'm mad paranoid, though...

I'm still thinking it's bad scouting rather than a lack of funds.

We've the highest budget bar the fiddlers and I'm sure our reserve keeper will be earning more than most of the first team keepers in the league.

Well one we let go just made the scotland squad which would have been cheap...

Anyways some people I know ran a dons training school and both didn't have a great opinion of Leighton(as a person). Maybe he was as great as a coach as he was as a keeper (demonstrably not...), but even if he was he is, apparently, a torn faced, moody and negative influence.

I'm still thinking it's bad scouting rather than a lack of funds.

We've the highest budget bar the fiddlers and I'm sure our reserve keeper will be earning more than most of the first team keepers in the league.

...it may also be terrible scouting.

I'm dubious about just how big our first team budget was in terms of the other clubs over the last number of years.

After the Ebbe extravaganza, where we certainly were pishing silly amounts of cash against the wall, the club operated on a much smaller budget in tetms of the first team squad.

I agree that the scouting of goalkeepers was horrendously bad, but by the same token so was the scouting of quality outfield players. This was in latge part down to the club reckoning an actual scouting network was something a professional club didn't need... a policy that led to such sterling acquisitions as Bossu, Ifil, Chalali, Zola, Tommy Wright, and an endless stream of signings who would later go on to find fame and fortune in the 8th and 9th tiers of English football.

Leighton is a leftover from a period when AFC had all the professionalism and self respect of a homeless bum sitting next to a nervous whippet on Union Street, and for that reason alone I've no real sentimentality regarding his departure.

I would say that the lack of progression with Clangers tells us nothing about Leighton's coaching ability, though. You never look at at Clangers and think, "Hey, now... there's a rich vein of untapped talent just waiting for the right coach to unleash Langfield's inner Shilton."

I think with Langfield what you see is all you're going to get. Steady mediocrity punctuated by periodic horrendous fuck ups...

• Upvote 2

Jim Leighton himself is telling friends that he suspects that Gordon Marshall is already lined up for 'his' job. Apparently Marshall worked with MacInnes, Docherty, Sheeerin, & Kirk at St. Johnstone and quit his job at Motherwell on Saturday.

Are you his friend?