Leighton Sacked

As far as Leighton is concerned, he has operated with a mediocre first choice keeper whom it would be expensive to replace with a goalkeeper who can walk into the first team. Again, he could go out and identify a world class goalkeeper, but this is a position that the club has obviously not considered a priority, otherwise they would have said, "Jim, here's a sack of cash earmarked for a goalkeeper, Go get one who can operate at a level above Langfield." Didn't happen, and so he grubs around the bargain basement for back-ups to the balloon who wears #1.

As a coach, and not a manager, Leighton doesn't decide what's a priority and what isn't a priority. He's way down the food chain when it comes to spending the transfer budget. If a manager says, "You're stuck with Langfield and there's no cash for a goalie" then Leighton, as has been the case, is stuck working with Langfield. Could Leighton have done a better job of identifying promising young keepers? Absolutely, The dross we've had in has been laughable. Do I also think the goalkeeping position, therefore budget, has been curtailed because successive managers believed we had other positions on the field that required filling ahead of goalkeeper, yes I do.

You've portrayed my argument as a simple, black and white, budgetary issue. The fact is that the managers I've lambasted have had obvious, and pretty significant issues that had nothing to do with the budget, and I've taken those into consideration when I've formed my opinion of them, rather than said, "Och, it's aboot the money."

Manager points well made but I still think that use of budget is something you've really hounded managers for. Nonetheless, on to Bandy.

For the money that was made available to him (taking Howard, brown Brown, white Brown, Bossu and Weaver's estimated wage into account) don't you think there's much better that could have been scouted and signed instead of 'keepers that couldn't remove Langfield from the #1 spot?

yet again, zero sense from you in a footballing post

are you essentially saying then, that all of our scots can say, "sorry, ive found this guy, ronaldo, but we cant afford him, so here's someone else, nicolas fabiano"?

the budget is definitely there for a goalkeeper in the same way it is any other position

leighton purposefully recommended bossu...

That's exactly what happens.

We can't afford Ronaldo so we sign Nicholas Fabiano.

Good example, cheers.

If the budget is there for a goalkeeper then why did we never sign a goalkeeper capable of walking into the first team? We would simply have laid out the cash for a first team regular from some other club.

I'm surprised you're privvy to the transfer budget available for a goalkeeper "The budget is definitely there"

How much was it?

Manager points well made but I still think that use of budget is something you've really hounded managers for. Nonetheless, on to Bandy.

For the money that was made available to him (taking Howard, brown Brown, white Brown, Bossu and Weaver's estimated wage into account) don't you think there's much better that could have been scouted and signed instead of 'keepers that couldn't remove Langfield from the #1 spot?

I've never hounded the manager on his budget, since the budget is decided by Milne and the board. I HAVE bitched about Milne and the board for crippling the budget though.

As for use of the budget, 100k for Tommy Wright is worthy of bitching about, and I'm sure I did. But generally when you've no money for transfers the quality is going to be hit or miss.

I think you must be thinking of someone else here, because the arguments you think I've made I haven't actually made.

Our last keeper to come through the youth ranks and get game time was Esson. Surely the goalkeeping coach at a club should be involved in that process and if so, surely he has to take responsibility for not one goalkeeper coming through in 15 years.

You can argue about the quality of other youth players who have come in to the team over the same time, but there have been plenty who have been deemed better than other options that we had paid for.

You'd think that a goalkeeping coach has to take some responsibility for there not having been one decent challenger to the number one jersey in the last 10 years, especially when Langfield has been the number one for the majority of that time.

I'm not absolving Leighton of blame, I'm saying it's entirely possible that with a mediocre goalkeeper between the sticks the #1 position was never considered a priority.

The signing of freebies as back up tells me there wasn't a real budget for a goalkeeper, and the club was happy enough to muddle along with clangers between the sticks.

Obviously there's a question over something regarding Leighton, because that's twice now his services have been dispensed with, but whether that's because he's a terrible coach or a miserable cunt I wouldn't pretend to know.

Our last keeper to come through the youth ranks and get game time was Esson. Surely the goalkeeping coach at a club should be involved in that process and if so, surely he has to take responsibility for not one goalkeeper coming through in 15 years.

You can argue about the quality of other youth players who have come in to the team over the same time, but there have been plenty who have been deemed better than other options that we had paid for.

You'd think that a goalkeeping coach has to take some responsibility for there not having been one decent challenger to the number one jersey in the last 10 years, especially when Langfield has been the number one for the majority of that time.

Totally agree with all your points, however Scott Bain is in the current Scotland squad and could become a full international against Qatar.

The coaching staff at AFC should take a fair bit of credit for his development... (mind, they also deserve a kick up the backside for letting him go for nowt!)

Totally agree with all your points, however Scott Bain is in the current Scotland squad and could become a full international against Qatar.

The coaching staff at AFC should take a fair bit of credit for his development... (mind, they also deserve a kick up the backside for letting him go for nowt!)

Well, he pulls off a few good saves, but he still isn't even number 1 at Dundee. I think that is more a sign of the dearth of young Scottish keepers coming through that he is getting a call up. That said, he seems more than capable of being able to be backup here at least, though did that come from training at his time here, or getting his chance to play elsewhere?

I'm not absolving Leighton of blame, I'm saying it's entirely possible that with a mediocre goalkeeper between the sticks the #1 position was never considered a priority.

The signing of freebies as back up tells me there wasn't a real budget for a goalkeeper, and the club was happy enough to muddle along with clangers between the sticks.

Obviously there's a question over something regarding Leighton, because that's twice now his services have been dispensed with, but whether that's because he's a terrible coach or a miserable cunt I wouldn't pretend to know.

And I guess I added more reasoning behind your argument with the response to SotR on Bain, it isn't like we are the only Scottish club struggling to develop young keepers ready to come in to the team.

The main thing with Leighton is that there is nothing to suggest that having had him as a goalkeeping coach exclusively has improved the goalkeeping position at Aberdeen, so I can see why McInnes may prefer to go down the route of another goalkeeping coach, or a more rounded coach who knows his keeping. It is him that sees Leighton day to day after all, and so far, seems quite professional in his approch to all things football related at the club.

I've never hounded the manager on his budget, since the budget is decided by Milne and the board. I HAVE bitched about Milne and the board for crippling the budget though.

It was more the use of the budget I was talking about.

As for use of the budget, 100k for Tommy Wright is worthy of bitching about, and I'm sure I did. But generally when you've no money for transfers the quality is going to be hit or miss.

Granted, but the miss/hit ratio is heavily tilted to one side, and it's Nae the good een.

I think you must be thinking of someone else here, because the arguments you think I've made I haven't actually made.

I'm sure you've argued that we could, and should, be employing better players than Duff, Mackie, Clangers and Young no?

It was more the use of the budget I was talking about.

Granted, but the miss/hit ratio is heavily tilted to one side, and it's Nae the good een.

I'm sure you've argued that we could, and should, be employing better players than Duff, Mackie, Clangers and Young no?

I've said that given the poor quality of players like Duff and Young we would have been as well promoting from the Youth Squad. At least with young players there's the chance of progression... but this isn't particularly a budgetary thing but rather a developmental argument.

EDIT: Clangetrs I'd have relegated to the reserves/DS the second he showed an interest in the Huns, and Mackie... well, Mackie was Mackie. I doubt he was ever on a great deal of money, but again there should have been a better option in the Youth ranks.

will Leighton get another gig, he may well do if he's willing to re locate, as long as he is not back on sportsound fucking miserable bastard,

i work for a guy who has a nephew is involved in the afc youth system as a keeper, he says shit smearer was never at training sessions always at a fucking funeral,s , probabaly the poor cunts that dies had spoken to bandy and slit thier wrists after,

aye and millertime , i know you and me have to agree to differ over your fat fucking pal the OAF, but the leighton disliking Clangers comment was from a guy that is a community coach, has known Leighton years and who said that the club got rid of Bain cos "jim didnt like him" , and the same guy said you dont like Langfield or Brown Jim, "

"youve nae liked nae cunt in the last 10 years"

will Leighton get another gig, he may well do if he's willing to re locate, as long as he is not back on sportsound fucking miserable bastard,

i work for a guy who has a nephew is involved in the afc youth system as a keeper, he says shit smearer was never at training sessions always at a fucking funeral,s , probabaly the poor cunts that dies had spoken to bandy and slit thier wrists after,

aye and millertime , i know you and me have to agree to differ over your fat fucking pal the OAF, but the leighton disliking Clangers comment was from a guy that is a community coach, has known Leighton years and who said that the club got rid of Bain cos "jim didnt like him" , and the same guy said you dont like Langfield or Brown Jim, "

"youve nae liked nae cunt in the last 10 years"

Absolute drivel

Not to mention he's a shit smearing cunt.

I've never heard that one before!

I've said that given the poor quality of players like Duff and Young we would have been as well promoting from the Youth Squad. At least with young players there's the chance of progression... but this isn't particularly a budgetary thing but rather a developmental argument.

EDIT: Clangetrs I'd have relegated to the reserves/DS the second he showed an interest in the Huns, and Mackie... well, Mackie was Mackie. I doubt he was ever on a great deal of money, but again there should have been a better option in the Youth ranks.

There's no way I'm believing that Duff, Mackie and Young are the best that our budget has allowed over the last god knows how many years. I know that it isn't just an issue with having bad players, I think the mentality at the club, the training and the constant changes of formation and positions were major factors in these players not performing, but the players we had were just not good enough to be where we wanted to be and I don't think the best of coaches and managers could have polished the turd. I don't think we have a keeper performing as well as the rest of the squad, ergo, not as good as what our budget allows. Leighton didn't do his job in helping us sign a talented goalkeeper, or nurture one through the youth and that makes him a failure in my eyes.

He has been rightfully punted based on his record,but its still sad given what a giant he is in our clubs history.

Right enough, Id take a single decent keeper in the modern day over half a dozen historical giants hanging about the club like a bad smell.

Good luck to Jim with what ever he does next - modelling dentures for example, or spokesmodel for Vaseline.