Josh Parker

If we signed him as a super (impact ;) ) sub then he is certainly a massive failure by McInnes but then he's hardly going to find the next Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Hard to find a player that is going to make a massive difference (in the time given) & show signs of brilliance when we are defending leads & hardly attacking except the odd counter.

He's not even had the equivalent of two games for us & SEVEN of those eight appearances have been late sub appearances averaging under 11 mins (normal time) & majority of those have been when we are sitting in mostly defending leads.

Boy has NOT had a fair chance to be judged fairly in the SPFL yet imo. not with the chances he's been given.

I hope the team improves well enough for him to get a 'decent' chance to see IF he can add anything before Jan. Otherwise I agree he is a complete wasted wage.

Guest the shepherd

Fair enough but you do get a fair idea, first and second impressions, if a player is going to do the business or not. I sincerely hope I am proved wrong but after Josh Parker's first interview after signing on that "Aberdeen needs me" his arrogance so far has not equated to goals, etc.

I was very uninspired by us signing him & his record but even having those feelings I can reserve full judgement until the lad has had a wee chance in the team before completely writing him off.

Was he not a winger & has only dabbled in the striker role a little bit?

Still very uninspired by him being here in the first place & hope to fuck we are not paying much of his wage & same goes for the Liverpool RB lad

Fair enough but you do get a fair idea, first and second impressions, if a player is going to do the business or not. I sincerely hope I am proved wrong but after Josh Parker's first interview after signing on that "Aberdeen needs me" his arrogance so far has not equated to goals, etc.

He's had a couple of chances so far that a proven/decent striker at SPFL level (ie. Stevie May) would no doubt have scored at least one of.

I most certainly didn't expect him to be close to the levels of Stevie May though in the SPFL & certainly not straight away & even in hindsight given the time/circumstances he has played.

Think some folk hoped we had found a cheap loan signing that would make up for not getting May.

McInnes does not have a great record as far as attacking (wide or up front) loan signings go. Logan being the closest he's found to anything decent in that respect. Defensively his loans have been slightly better but he still has a few duds in that respect also.

Meh signing when we were linked & still a meh signing BUT I will at least give him a chance to prove himself one way or the other.

Bad attitude and limited ability. Are we sure Calderwood or MM didnt sign him?

It is fairly straightforward for any person with a degree of footballing intelligence to be able to judge a player's ability on as little as 5-10 touches of a ball when the player in question is not demonstrating the necessary skill and ability expected at this level. My take on him:

1. His body shape looks awkward when he takes a pass
  2. his first touch doesn't look good
  3. his head is often down when in possession of the ball
  4. he doesn't appear to have decent vision to pick out a pass
  5. his off-field confidence doesn't seem to translate to anything on the pitch exemplified by his chances v Hamilton
  6. his positional awareness is poor
  7. he hasn't scored or indeed looked like scoring (bar Hamilton, when it seemed easier to score than miss).
  8. he has questionable decision-making ability (TM John Collins); he came on against Celtic, got the ball, head down, ran for ten yards, stopped, looked up and did a 540 degree turn having been unable to decide who to pass to.

On the upside, he looks sharp, fast and powerful, but these are basic traits you would expect from any footballer in any division. I remember Duncan Shearer being a very average footballer with the ball at his feet but he had tremendous vision and positional awareness and a deadly ability for the first-time shot. Scoring on your debut obviously helps too. Even Leon Mike got some time bought for himself doing that!

It's difficult to judge his attitude other than the off-field/on-field thing but he made a rod for his back coming in with those comments as MT rightly pointed out; fair play if he bangs in a few goals, but it's a mentality that doesn't sit well if you aren't doing the business. It's easy to see the comparison of styles with Josh Magennis but make no mistake his attitude was never in question.

• Upvote 2

Magennis' record with us is 98 games, 10 goals - but he was played all over the place and was often a sub.

Since going to Killie, he's been used primarily in attack and scored 11 in 49. Still not great, but given their below average league position, that's much of a muchness. Good on him.

He's strong, quick and powerful and a real handful when used as a target man, hence his success when they've hoofed the ball up to him. N. Ireland are using the same tactic. Can't get a decent ball to Kyle Laffery's feet? Pump it up to big Josh, let him harass their defence.

He's also a very nice bloke on twitter.

I haven't seen Parker, but there's no consistency to his career. He's been all over the place in six years and is listed as a winger/forward. Assuming he has always played in attack, he only had a reputable scoring record in once place, Domžale in Slovenia (they finished third in the Slovenian top league when he was there). By reputable, I mean he actually got some goals there, 14 in 42 appearances.

For fuck's sake. His agent must be Derren Brown, because I am getting the impression his potential is a fucking illusion.

It is fairly straightforward for any person with a degree of footballing intelligence to be able to judge a player's ability on as little as 5-10 touches of a ball when the player in question is not demonstrating the necessary skill and ability expected at this level. My take on him:

• His body shape looks awkward when he takes a pass
  • his first touch doesn't look good
  • his head is often down when in possession of the ball
  • he doesn't appear to have decent vision to pick out a pass
  • his off-field confidence doesn't seem to translate to anything on the pitch exemplified by his chances v Hamilton
  • his positional awareness is poor
  • he hasn't scored or indeed looked like scoring (bar Hamilton, when it seemed easier to score than miss).
  • he has questionable decision-making ability (TM John Collins); he came on against Celtic, got the ball, head down, ran for ten yards, stopped, looked up and did a 540 degree turn having been unable to decide who to pass to.
On the upside, he looks sharp, fast and powerful, but these are basic traits you would expect from any footballer in any division. I remember Duncan Shearer being a very average footballer with the ball at his feet but he had tremendous vision and positional awareness and a deadly ability for the first-time shot. Scoring on your debut obviously helps too. Even Leon Mike got some time bought for himself doing that!

It's difficult to judge his attitude other than the off-field/on-field thing but he made a rod for his back coming in with those comments as MT rightly pointed out; fair play if he bangs in a few goals, but it's a mentality that doesn't sit well if you aren't doing the business. It's easy to see the comparison of styles with Josh Magennis but make no mistake his attitude was never in question.

Neil, neil mccann. Is that you ? :-)

1. His body shape looks awkward when he takes a pass
  2. his first touch doesn't look good
  3. his head is often down when in possession of the ball
  4. he doesn't appear to have decent vision to pick out a pass
  5. his off-field confidence doesn't seem to translate to anything on the pitch exemplified by his chances v Hamilton
  6. his positional awareness is poor
  7. he hasn't scored or indeed looked like scoring (bar Hamilton, when it seemed easier to score than miss).
  8. he has questionable decision-making ability (TM John Collins); he came on against Celtic, got the ball, head down, ran for ten yards, stopped, looked up and did a 540 degree turn having been unable to decide who to pass to.

Great post.

If we signed him as a super (impact ;) ) sub then he is certainly a massive failure by McInnes but then he's hardly going to find the next Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Hard to find a player that is going to make a massive difference (in the time given) & show signs of brilliance when we are defending leads & hardly attacking except the odd counter.

He's not even had the equivalent of two games for us & SEVEN of those eight appearances have been late sub appearances averaging under 11 mins (normal time) & majority of those have been when we are sitting in mostly defending leads.

Boy has NOT had a fair chance to be judged fairly in the SPFL yet imo. not with the chances he's been given.

I hope the team improves well enough for him to get a 'decent' chance to see IF he can add anything before Jan. Otherwise I agree he is a complete wasted wage.

That is NOT how you spell John Hewitt!!

If Parker has a forward threat from the limited football I've seen from him it's beating the offside, running into the space to find the ball waiting for him and presumably having a shot (difficult to judge what the fuck he was thinking for the Hamilton chance.). Same with Pawlett. Without Robson I don't see any player with the possible exception of McGinn and GW willing to lay on that type of pass.

And sorry to labour the point but when robson did try said speculative pass he didn't throw the massive huff. But he made fucking sure the striker knew to be there the next time.