Josh Parker

Like I said. Uninspiring signing & I said so when we were linked. Also said so after we signed him & was not happy at all we signed him. Wanted much much better (like Stevie May) as did all of us.

McInnes (like he did with Zola) took him on a huge gamble & hoping for a bit of luck. It certainly hasn't paid off so far but I still haven't completely written the lad off yet. As is i'd much preferred we kept Shankland but he got judged & given just as much stick on here with just as little time in the first team.

MT you have not been proven right yet because he hasn't had any kind of game time with any kind of service to judge him properly YET.

It doesn't look good for him in the slightest but I wouldn't call him worse than Josh Magennis for example just yet. I also would say he was any better.

Only GAME time will tell.

Guest the shepherd

It is fairly straightforward for any person with a degree of footballing intelligence to be able to judge a player's ability on as little as 5-10 touches of a ball when the player in question is not demonstrating the necessary skill and ability expected at this level. My take on him:

• His body shape looks awkward when he takes a pass
  • his first touch doesn't look good
  • his head is often down when in possession of the ball
  • he doesn't appear to have decent vision to pick out a pass
  • his off-field confidence doesn't seem to translate to anything on the pitch exemplified by his chances v Hamilton
  • his positional awareness is poor
  • he hasn't scored or indeed looked like scoring (bar Hamilton, when it seemed easier to score than miss).
  • he has questionable decision-making ability (TM John Collins); he came on against Celtic, got the ball, head down, ran for ten yards, stopped, looked up and did a 540 degree turn having been unable to decide who to pass to.
On the upside, he looks sharp, fast and powerful, but these are basic traits you would expect from any footballer in any division. I remember Duncan Shearer being a very average footballer with the ball at his feet but he had tremendous vision and positional awareness and a deadly ability for the first-time shot. Scoring on your debut obviously helps too. Even Leon Mike got some time bought for himself doing that!

It's difficult to judge his attitude other than the off-field/on-field thing but he made a rod for his back coming in with those comments as MT rightly pointed out; fair play if he bangs in a few goals, but it's a mentality that doesn't sit well if you aren't doing the business. It's easy to see the comparison of styles with Josh Magennis but make no mistake his attitude was never in question.

Guest the shepherd

I'd certainly rather have Magennis than Parker.

Same here. Magennis contributed quite a bit to Aberdeen and will forever be known for his performances against Motherwell when he came on as a sub in the 3-3 draw and Celtic in the 4-3 defeat, both in the 12-13 season. He was fantastic that day against celtic, fucking brilliant.

Same here. Magennis contributed quite a bit to Aberdeen and will forever be known for his performances against Motherwell when he came on as a sub in the 3-3 draw and Celtic in the 4-3 defeat, both in the 12-13 season. He was fantastic that day against celtic, fucking brilliant.

He also scored one the best individual goals I've seen at Pittodrie, against Inverness. Thing of beauty.