Hearts V Aberdeen (1 - 0)

Disappointing result that had looked almost inevitable after our poor start.

We were not sharp enough in the opening exchanges and seemed bereft of a clear attacking strategy. Willie Miller talked about the need for 'progressive' passing football from us but too often we passed back and regressed to a speculative long-ball game. Our defending improved as the game went-on and I thought Logan, Reynolds and particularly Taylor all did well.

In McGinn, McLean, Hayes and Shinnie we have four very good play-makers but they did not combine effectively. Losing Flood was unfortunate. Our shortcomings were exposed tonight as our lone Striker isn't an effective target man. When our best passing players don't perform we lack potency.

Our one tactical substitution didn't change the game for us. Hearts as an improving side were physically and tactically superior tonight. They were more determined and performed better generally than we did.

We must surely look more eager in these games to assert our style of play and to have a decisive alternative if it fails. We are lacking genuine options outwith a formidable yet rigid line-up.

Had we performed at our best we would have taken something from the game though and we must demand more than we have seen in our recent cup-campaigns.

In terms of personnel it is obvious where we could improve. Fresh impetus would be welcome and offset our current stagnation.

COYR!

Disappointing result that had looked almost inevitable after our poor start.

We were not sharp enough in the opening exchanges and seemed bereft of a clear attacking strategy. Willie Miller talked about the need for 'progressive' passing football from us but too often we passed back and regressed to a speculative long-ball game. Our defending improved as the game went-on and I thought Logan, Reynolds and particularly Taylor all did well.

In McGinn, McLean, Hayes and Shinnie we have four very good play-makers but they did not combine effectively. Losing Flood was unfortunate. Our shortcomings were exposed tonight as our lone Striker isn't an effective target man. When our best passing players don't perform we lack potency.

Our one tactical substitution didn't change the game for us. Hearts as an improving side were physically and tactically superior tonight. They were more determined and performed better generally than we did.

We must surely look more eager in these games to assert our style of play and to have a decisive alternative if it fails. We are lacking genuine options outwith a formidable yet rigid line-up.

Had we performed at our best we would have taken something from the game though and we must demand more than we have seen in our recent cup-campaigns.

In terms of personnel it is obvious where we could improve. Fresh impetus would be welcome and offset our current stagnation.

COYR!

Good post there.

I think you are over complimentary though.

Half our players couldn't make a simple pass tonight and no one showed the desire that was so badly lacking.

Entire team was shocking. Rooney may as well not have been on the field, the Jambo defence made him their bitch today.

We were getting fuck all through open play, so that game was screaming for Goodwillie to maximise what few chances for a set piece we had.

Jesus, but Rooney looked lightweight.

A repeating pattern of play seems to be emerging - we bring the ball out of defence, string a few passes together, mostly across the field, get past midfield, it comes to halt, gets passed back to Ash Taylor, he boots it up the field, the opposition pick it up, they attack again.

Anyone else recognise it? Not exactly brilliant, is it?

Entire team was shocking. Rooney may as well not have been on the field, the Jambo defence made him their bitch today.

We were getting fuck all through open play, so that game was screaming for Goodwillie to maximise what few chances for a set piece we had.

He's been absolutely pish all season but people on here point to his goal tally. He scores penalties. We need another striker desperately but people will still say we are okay cause we have Rooney.

That game was screaming out for Considine to maximise what chance we had.

Oh wait.......

What the fuck is wrong with you? Jeezo to keep going on AND ON about about our possible front formations...???

Do you really think that was where are weakness was truly exposed?

Get a fucking grip. We lost because we had no midfield, no presence in defence and piss poor decision making throughout the team. But to try and focus on our front players... fuck me I give up.

What the fuck is wrong with you? Jeezo to keep going on AND ON about about our possible front formations...???

Do you really think that was where are weakness was truly exposed?

Get a fucking grip. We lost because we had no midfield, no presence in defence and piss poor decision making throughout the team. But to try and focus on our front players... fuck me I give up.

youre having a melt down everytime someone mentions rooney.

thats three different people youve jumped on and you've got the wrong end of the stick at least twice. nobody is saying tonight was all rooney's fault but he was fucking stinking the whole game. he was completely anonymous. yes the problems were far greater than him but he was also part of the problem.

• Upvote 1

Reynolds lost every single header he went for , horrendous performance from one of the most experienced players , and another by Considine , he looked hungover . Awfull from both .

This season was out chance to really challenge for both the leauge and the cups , next season we will not have a keeper like Danny Ward and that is very worrying . The return of Rangers and Hibs will make the league even harder .

We have to strengthen , the midfield were second to every ball , slow and lacking ideas .

Rooney up top on his own with no pace and not really a great footballing ability ( apart from what he does best in the box ) dose not work against physical teams.

Now with flood and Jack injured and McInnes not willing to use Robson we have to take in a central midfielder , and we need another option up top cos Goodwillie is no goal threat at all and constantly gives away possession .

Reynolds lost every single header he went for , horrendous performance from one of the most experienced players , and another by Considine , he looked hungover . Awfull from both .

This season was out chance to really challenge for both the leauge and the cups , next season we will not have a keeper like Danny Ward and that is very worrying . The return of Rangers and Hibs will make the league even harder .

We have to strengthen , the midfield were second to every ball , slow and lacking ideas .

Rooney up top on his own with no pace and not really a great footballing ability ( apart from what he does best in the box ) dose not work against physical teams.

Now with flood and Jack injured and McInnes not willing to use Robson we have to take in a central midfielder , and we need another option up top cos Goodwillie is no goal threat at all and constantly gives away possession .

Robson is 37 and his legs have completely gone. More likely to get sent off then contribute positively. No idea why he's still here but it's not to play. Would like to see what Storie or Smith can do from the start because we're so stagnant at the minute.

Ward made a few defence splitting passes today, start him CM next week

I'd go with Poodlers suggestion. Can't be any worse than Mcinnes.

Ok fair enough I`m pissed off and half cut so not as reasonable as I would normally be... but to even try and apportion blame on our front players (whether Rooney or anyone else) is baffling to me.

Any successful team is built from the back - funny enough SAF also saw that - and we were diabolical from defence through midfield today. Rooney (or Goodie) didn`t have any opportunity to fuck up really. It was all about how pish we were further back.

Robson is 37 and his legs have completely gone. More likely to get sent off then contribute positively. No idea why he's still here but it's not to play. Would like to see what Storie or Smith can do from the start because we're so stagnant at the minute.

That's what I'm saying , waste of a wage and he can't be having that great an influence on the squad of the alky rumours are true . Release and use the wage elsewhere.

Not going to get involved in the Rooney debate other than to say that's the same performance I see from him week in week out other than he normally saves his own performance and us by scoring the all important goal. Rooney as the loan striker is not the answer if we are looking to compete.

However, tonight's game was lost in midfield and a poor performance by Reynolds and Considine at the back.

Willo Flood has a hamstring injury so looks as if he will be out for a while. With Ryan out surely Milne must allow funds that would have been available for next season to be spent on bring in the midfielder we require.

Not going to get involved in the Rooney debate other than to say that's the same performance I see from him week in week out other than he normally saves his own performance and us by scoring the all important goal. Rooney as the loan striker is not the answer if we are looking to compete.

However, tonight's game was lost in midfield and a poor performance by Reynolds and Considine at the back.

Willo Flood has a hamstring injury so looks as if he will be out for a while. With Ryan out surely Milne must allow funds that would have been available for next season to be spent on bring in the midfielder we require.

At last - someone who recognises where and why we lost the game.

FFS - I thought I was living in a fucking twilight zone.