Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

So you think that an independent Scotland would have the same access to the rUk market as it currently does?

McDougall, with all due respect the Republic of Ireland has managed to trade freely with the UK throughout its existence (and their history is decidedly more complex, given the folly of partition) so isn't it fair to say that the insinuation that Scotland wouldn't at least have comparable terms to the ROI, is simply more empty Better Together scaremongering?

I actually feel sorry for the many principled Unionists, who are so badly represented by BT types and such like, but then again, it tells me a lot that they can only argue AGAINST independence, rather than FOR, the Union. For all the YES campaign flaws (and believe me, I am no fan of the present SNP leadership, or the Trotskyites like Colin Fox and Commie Sheridan) at least they have a positive vision for the future and trust the people of Scotland with deciding their own future.

Make no mistake, if the Unionists are to secure their future, they will need to make a much more positive case next time out, or people will simply roll their eyes in antipathy.

McDougall, with all due respect the Republic of Ireland has managed to trade freely with the UK throughout its existence (and their history is decidedly more complex, given the folly of partition) so isn't it fair to say that the insinuation that Scotland wouldn't at least have comparable terms to the ROI, is simply more empty Better Together scaremongering?

I actually feel sorry for the many principled Unionists, who are so badly represented by BT types and such like, but then again, it tells me a lot that they can only argue AGAINST independence, rather than FOR, the Union. For all the YES campaign flaws (and believe me, I am no fan of the present SNP leadership, or the Trotskyites like Colin Fox and Commie Sheridan) at least they have a positive vision for the future and trust the people of Scotland with deciding their own future.

Make no mistake, if the Unionists are to secure their future, they will need to make a much more positive case next time out, or people will simply roll their eyes in antipathy.

RoI accesses the UK market thru being part of the EU.

You genuinely believe that there would be completely free trade between the rUK and an Independent Scotland?

The positive vision that who has for the future? The Growth commission that predicted austerity for decades? Who?

People will roll their eyes, you say there is scaremongering, there were literally the same claims and accusations made about the Remain campaign by the Leave campaign as No by Yes, and we are seeing the businesses leave the UK in their droves, especially in FS, but that would not have happened to Scotland.

The White paper claimed in the same way as Leave that we would all be better off in Independent Scotland, its been proven to be nonsense, the architects of the white paper have admitted it, Gers figures year after year show it.

The issue with people on all sides of politics these days, is that they listen to those whose opinions they agree with and they silo themselves in the same way.

Have an open mind and read/listen to objective information and make decisions.

• Upvote 1

RoI accesses the UK market thru being part of the EU.

You genuinely believe that there would be completely free trade between the rUK and an Independent Scotland?

The positive vision that who has for the future? The Growth commission that predicted austerity for decades? Who?

People will roll their eyes, you say there is scaremongering, there were literally the same claims and accusations made about the Remain campaign by the Leave campaign as No by Yes, and we are seeing the businesses leave the UK in their droves, especially in FS, but that would not have happened to Scotland.

The White paper claimed in the same way as Leave that we would all be better off in Independent Scotland, its been proven to be nonsense, the architects of the white paper have admitted it, Gers figures year after year show it.

The issue with people on all sides of politics these days, is that they listen to those whose opinions they agree with and they silo themselves in the same way.

Have an open mind and read/listen to objective information and make decisions.

Service companies are leaving the U.K, whisky and oil and gas, tourism (3 biggest industries) can’t leave Scotland completely different economies. If you think an independent England and Wales free from Europe won’t want to trade with Scotland you are mental.

• Upvote 3

Service companies are leaving the U.K, whisky and oil and gas, tourism (3 biggest industries) can’t leave Scotland completely different economies. If you think an independent England and Wales free from Europe won’t want to trade with Scotland you are mental.

Where is Financial Services in your equation...it contributes far more than O and G for example.

It is not about whether trade takes place, it's the terms of trade. 

Do you think there will be free access to the rUK market for Scotland and its companies? 

And if you do, on what basis are you making that assertion?

• Downvote 2

Where is Financial Services in your equation...it contributes far more than O and G for example.

It is not about whether trade takes place, it's the terms of trade.

Do you think there will be free access to the rUK market for Scotland and its companies?

And if you do, on what basis are you making that assertion?

1. Oil and gas revenue via corp tax makes more when adjusted over more than a random one or two years. They hide it under the U.K.

2. Yes they can’t adford to lose us as a market and logistics chain.

SNP success story. So it would appear the much derided decision to amalgamate the various Scottish police regions is paying dividends. Alas the English even want to follow suit but they can’t get themselves organised.

Don’t take my word for it, here is an unbiased source.

https://www.economist.com/britain/2018/11/24/scotlands-national-police-force-finds-its-feet

An article that didn't really say much...

Not quite Rumpus. We wanted to give Oz a go and we have.

You need skills to get in. Keep with me here as sucking off an Indian isn't considered one. Eh have a Uni degree but not in my line of work. My missus got all the points in the assessment. So fuckin what, it's just the key to the door.

You can live in your fictional Whitfield flat with you fictional spiked beer.

Me, eh am off down the beach

Shocking revelation of the day 

This lays bare the cover up and lies you were told in the build up to indyref 1 over oil.

https://randompublicjournal.com/2018/11/26/clair-ridge-thieves-and-gaslighters/

File this in the same category as McCrone report, and the perpetual theft of Scotland's resources thereafter.

http://www.positivescotland.com/The-McCrone-report-An-embarrassment-of-riches(1).pdf

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This lays bare the cover up and lies you were told in the build up to indyref 1 over oil.

https://randompublicjournal.com/2018/11/26/clair-ridge-thieves-and-gaslighters/

File this in the same category as McCrone report, and the perpetual theft of Scotland's resources thereafter.

http://www.positivescotland.com/The-McCrone-report-An-embarrassment-of-riches(1).pdf

I don't know about embarrassment of riches, the biggest embarrassment is the fact we're the only region/country in the world afraid of our own independence. Even worse when you factor in that we rejected our independence knowing (though some were in denial, those of us more long-sighted predicted this) that we faced a generation of being ruled by a Tory Party we haven't elected since the 1950's and crashing out of Europe due to a weak leadership.

For all its flaws (and there are many) the Republic of Ireland has benefitted massively from independence and I've never met anyone here who would go back to UK rule. The North stayed and they've been a failed state ever since (forget shyte about Scotland being a basket case - NI has only 1.8M people, yet requires £10BN a year net subsidies to survive, yet still can't get a government together).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1