Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

You do know the UK pension is one of the lowest in Europe and most of the other countries its lower than Dont have Oil

Scotland the only country in the world to poor to be independent well this is what they said about malta in 1959 so normal people can see through this scaremongering shit.

A5-CCBDE0-0-B39-4-A0-B-BC02-A34268-E5127

Neat bit of fancy footwork there by ignoring the obvious fact that had we voted leave our economy would have been a busted flush due to the plummeting oil price and instead concentrating on the Malta strawman. I am acutely aware of the low level of old age pensions here compared with Europe, but it does not take a financial genius to work out they would have of necessity been a whole lot lower had we left at that particular time and no amount of pretty graphs changes that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Neat bit of fancy footwork there by ignoring the obvious fact that had we voted leave our economy would have been a busted flush due to the plummeting oil price and instead concentrating on the Malta strawman. I am acutely aware of the low level of old age pensions here compared with Europe, but it does not take a financial genius to work out they would have of necessity been a whole lot lower had we left at that particular time and no amount of pretty graphs changes that.

So fucking what other countries economy’s go up and down

Scotlands to poor again bla bla bla

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So fucking what other countries economy’s go up and down

Scotlands to poor again bla bla bla

What kind of reply is that? Do you or do you not accept that Scotland would have had to go cap in hand to the IMF after the oil price crisis if we had voted leave? Would they have set tough conditions on any loan including a demand for tough austerity measures like they did with Greece? I voted leave last time, but the oil crash was a real wake up call for me and it seems churlish in the extreme that some Nationalists are in denial about this. If the SNP are to have any hope of gaining independence they must be honest with the people and explain the risks as well as the possible benefits and they must have a clear and costed plan over things like the currency and a possible hard border with England.

What kind of reply is that? Do you or do you not accept that Scotland would have had to go cap in hand to the IMF after the oil price crisis if we had voted leave? Would they have set tough conditions on any loan including a demand for tough austerity measures like they did with Greece? I voted leave last time, but the oil crash was a real wake up call for me and it seems churlish in the extreme that some Nationalists are in denial about this. If the SNP are to have any hope of gaining independence they must be honest with the people and explain the risks as well as the possible benefits and they must have a clear and costed plan over things like the currency and a possible hard border with England.

Did any of the 51 countries that left the british empire since ww2 give a clear and costed plan?

I believe in independence at any cost so why would i bother if every single aspect of it was costed or not.

What those who parrot the oil crash don't factor in, is that the UK is (along with Iraq) the only oil producing country in the world that doesn't have a sovereign wealth fund. It's not just Norway that wisely managed their volatile and finite resources. If we are to sensibly debate the oil issue, the questions should be why did Scotland not benefit in the way many oil producing countries have? Why were the hundreds of billions in tax receipts not put to better use?

IMHO the oil issue is a poor argument on both sides; many who advocate independence purely on the basis we'd supposedly be richer are making a superficial argument, whereas those who use it as a stick to beat us over the head with, are being selective in their only citing the volatility and finite nature of it.

FWIW, th key argument should be about who decides our future, in which there is massive potential for renewable energy. Who do we trust to manage that resource; the people of Scotland, who under independence will always get the government they vote for and will thus be in charge of their own destiny, or the same London-centric parties who squandered the last half-century of oil wealth?

• Upvote 2

Used as a case for the union.  :laughing:

A clear indicator of being utterly clueless as to the economic relationship between Scotland and their imperial masters.

Sober up min. Scotland joined the Union in 1707 as everyone who was anyone at that time had been bankrupted by the Darien debacle and England refunded the losses as part of the agreement. I would also remind you that Scotland did pretty well out of the Empire and the profits built many of the finest buildings in our major cities. The Empire was created by force of arms, and I do not recall England forcing Scotland to take part and we were only too happy to join in the free for all. The fact is, which you don't seem to get, that most Scots are happy with the modern relationship despite the Tory cunts and there is no sign of a surge of support for Independence even with Brexit looming.

• Downvote 3

I believe in independence at any cost so why would i bother if every single aspect of it was costed or not.

Fair enough, but just remember not to bombard us with graphs and statistics given that the economic ramifications of independence makes no difference to you whatsoever. Selfish view, but there you go.

Fair enough, but just remember not to bombard us with graphs and statistics given that the economic ramifications of independence makes no difference to you whatsoever. Selfish view, but there you go.

Its an open forum so i can post whatever i feel like

And as for selfish it’s more selfish to deny your kids/grandkids their own country

Would you let your neighbores run your house

Its an open forum so i can post whatever i feel like

And as for selfish it’s more selfish to deny your kids/grandkids their own country

Would you let your neighbores run your house

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but as you have clearly stated you do not give a fuck about the economic ramifications of independence it seems strange you would employ statistics to justify separation.

Rock on you crazy shithouse.

Great song, but I prefer Shine on you Crazy Diamond myself.