New Stadium Approved

Guest RosemountRed

£50 million Dons stadium takes step closer to reality as club applies for building warrant

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/50-million-dons-stadium-takes-step-closer-to-reality-as-club-applies-for-building-warrant/

Aberdeen FC has applied for a building warrant for the first stage of its work at Kingsford.

The application, if given approval, means work could start on the community and sports facilities near Westhill.

Halliday Fraser Munro has submitted the proposals on behalf of the Aberdeen FC Community Trust.

The club wants to start work on the foundations and drainage at the site – but needs the building warrant approval.

It would pave the way for work to start on the football academy, outdoor pitches, pavilion and access roads.

The drainage and foundation work would cost £3.3m to complete and could begin next month if Aberdeen City Council give it the go-ahead.

Raymond Edgar, project director for the Kingsford Stadium, said: “Aberdeen Football Club has now submitted the building warrant application with Aberdeen City Council. On approval this will allow us to move forward with phase one of our plan, the community and training facilities which includes the construction of the training pavilion, groundsman’s accommodation, grass training pitches plus 3G and grass pitches for community use.

“The granting of this warrant will enable us to progress the first stage of this exciting development, which we are committed to delivering for the benefit of the club and the wider region. The first series of contracts is expected to be awarded in this month, with construction beginning on-site in June.”

The Dons got approval last month for its stadium plans. Aberdeen City Council announced planning permission had been granted after the Scottish Government said ministers would not be reviewing the local authority’s decision for the 20,000-seat stadium and training complex.

Before the club can start phase two – including construction of the stadium – it must resolve issues around parking and pedestrian safety, including a possible planning application to Aberdeenshire Council for a footbridge over the A944.

Campaign group No Kingsford Stadium is pushing ahead with its plans for a judicial review into the process.

The group needs to lodge its appeal within 90 days of the application approval.

A spokeswoman for No Kingsford said it had no comment to make regarding the building warrant application.

Aberdeen City Council has set a target of May 24 for the decision on the application.

Guest RosemountRed

Seems like we are pressing ahead with Phase One, funding must be in place for the first part of the workscope.

Contracts awarded this month, work to start on-site next month.

Guest RosemountRed

Last I heard 60% of the funding for Phase One (6mil of the 10 mil required) was secured.

That was some time ago so though.

Can't be far off the initial target now then, I assume it is secured or they are confident of securing it if they are wanting to be on-site by next month.

Can't be far off the initial target now then, I assume it is secured or they are confident of securing it if they are wanting to be on-site by next month.

I'm not positive but isn't the original phase 1 estimated cost including the original plan for the indoor pitch(s)?

They've said the indoor part would likely wait for now so I assumed the funds were already in place for phase 1 some time ago.

I'm not positive but isn't the original phase 1 estimated cost including the original plan for the indoor pitch(s)?

They've said the indoor part would likely wait for now so I assumed the funds were already in place for phase 1 some time ago.

There are no plans for an indoor pitch.

Not saying one might not come later but Phase One and the initial 10mil doesn't cover it.

There are no plans for an indoor pitch.

Not saying one might not come later but Phase One and the initial 10mil doesn't cover it.

There were plans, originally. They were shelved at application for planning stage.

Everyone knows that ffs.

You seem very sure about the second part. The first time I heard about the figure of £10mil estimated cost for the training facilities, the indoor pitch plan hadn't been shelved yet...iirc.

There were plans, originally. They were shelved at application for planning stage.

Everyone knows that ffs.

You seem very sure about the second part. The first time I heard about the figure of £10mil estimated cost for the training facilities, the indoor pitch plan hadn't been shelved yet...iirc.

Makes no difference what was planned.

Everyone knows that ffs. ;)

There are currently no plans for an indoor pitch and the figure quoted since those plans came out for Phase One is 10mil.

All arguments for and against a new stadium at kingsford surely we are all 100% behind the club cracking on with the training facilities ASAP?

Even if that itself has to be delivered in a phased approach its way past time we had some quality dedicated facilities of our own.

Yup! I think everyone has been 100% behind the club cracking on with the training facilities for the last 20+ years.

Makes no difference what was planned.

Everyone knows that ffs. ;)

There are currently no plans for an indoor pitch and the figure quoted since those plans came out for Phase One is 10mil.

Firstly I think its a real shame an indoor pitch isn't included but hopefully this can be added in a later phase... but second of all.. without the indoor pitch 10mil does seem quite a high figure for the training facilities.

That's not me suggesting your wrong about the 10mil figure, I actually think you might be right about it and it seems a lot to me if we don't get that indoor facility.

I suppose it may include a lot of preparatory work that would ultimately benefit the stadium phase later as well as benefit any plans for an indoor facility - we can but hope.

Yup! I think everyone has been 100% behind the club cracking on with the training facilities for the last 20+ years.

Desperately want to see this happen and for it to be on budget and a huge success - to my mind the stadium phase can be sorted out later and I won't be upset if for some reason it ends up other than at kingsford or whatever. I just want to see stuff progressing tbh, we can't fanny about any longer.

All arguments for and against a new stadium at kingsford aside surely we are all 100% behind the club cracking on with the training facilities ASAP?

Even if that itself has to be delivered in a phased approach its way past time we had some quality dedicated facilities of our own.

EDIT: missed a word there

Totally. It will go a long way to us getting players in as well. Who'd want to come to a club where they are training in random locations around the city.

Firstly I think its a real shame an indoor pitch isn't included but hopefully this can be added in a later phase... but second of all.. without the indoor pitch 10mil does seem quite a high figure for the training facilities.

Have a look at the "fly through". There is a fair bit of work in Phase One (3 grass pitches, 2 "astro" pitches, floodlights, changing rooms, gym, offices, AFFC building, car park etc) to be built on what is currently fields.

I don't think an indoor/covered pitch would cost vastly more than an outdoor one (I'm no expert like) and it would seem foolish not to have one for when its pishing down with rain, windy as fuck or snowing so hopefully one gets built.

I'd rather they concentrated and invested more on this tbh and made sure it was absolutely tiptop.

Wait and see.

Have a look at the "fly through". There is a fair bit of work in Phase One (3 grass pitches, 2 "astro" pitches, floodlights, changing rooms, gym, offices, AFFC building, car park etc) to be built on what is currently fields.

I don't think an indoor/covered pitch would cost vastly more than an outdoor one (I'm no expert like) and it would seem foolish not to have one for when its pishing down with rain, windy as fuck or snowing so hopefully one gets built.

I'd rather they concentrated and invested more on this tbh and made sure it was absolutely tiptop.

The main difference in cost would surely be in the building of the warehouse type facility to house it? Not sure how much it costs to put one of them up but it's probably not as cheap as it looks. Plus the ongoing heating, lighting, building maintenance etc.

The main difference in cost would surely be in the building of the warehouse type facility to house it? Not sure how much it costs to put one of them up but it's probably not as cheap as it looks. Plus the ongoing heating, lighting, building maintenance etc.

...an interesting context is "omg lcelandare doing well' and their kids train almost exclusively indoors. But then they also play in the summer. There a part of me dying as I type this - but surely build facilitiies for the conditions you play in. If we played summer football - then the massive warehouses for training over the winter would be great!

...an interesting context is "omg lcelandare doing well' and their kids train almost exclusively indoors. But then they also play in the summer. There a part of me dying as I type this - but surely build facilitiies for the conditions you play in. If we played summer football - then the massive warehouses for training over the winter would be great!

So training in the mud and sand and rain and wind at Aulton would be good for us?

10mil saved!

:rolleyes: