Livingston 1 - 2 Aberdeen (29/12)

I STILL don't know what factor the keeper being in front of play plays in an offside call, no

There needs to be 2 defenders in between the goal and the attacker, normally it's the GK and a defender.

If the GK is not goal side of the attacker then that means that there needs to be 2 defenders (outfield players) in between the goal and the attacker.

There needs to be 2 defenders in between the goal and the attacker, normally it's the GK and a defender.

If the GK is not goal side of the attacker then that means that there needs to be 2 defenders (outfield players) in between the goal and the attacker.

Not all the time, which is where the confusion comes from, the offside rule has evolved. Here it’s explained:

https://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/5.%20law%2011_554.pdf

Not all the time, which is where the confusion comes from, the offside rule has evolved. Here it’s explained:

https://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/5.%20law%2011_554.pdf

I no longer think I understand the rule.

Couldn't see the bit where the position of the keeper is mentioned; just that there need to be 2 opposition players.  I didn't read it in depth though as I am quite lazy.

• Upvote 1

Huns got a goal disallowed against us at Pittodrie many years back for this very situation. Think it was a goal line scramble from a corner at the Merkland end, dons keeper was off the line, defender was on the line, hun puts ball in net, offside ya cunt.  

Also Marco Negri against us at Ibrox, c. 1997? 

Pretty much exactly the same situation you are describing. We had Leighton in goals and he had the wit to appeal for the offside, which was duly given. 

I STILL don't know what factor the keeper being in front of play plays in an offside call, no

The keeper has absolutely fuck all to do with offside you fool.

Nothing at all. He is academic in that situation, unless in an offensive situation, the keeper could be offside or play a pass that causes his team to be offside.

Idiot.

• Upvote 5

Genuinely

If the keeper is behind then you can't be offside

What? Seriously? New to the game MT?

Allow me to put my old referee head on for a moment. Ok so there's 2 Livi players involved, Hardie coming from the left and the dude in the centre. Hardie is onside when McKenna plays the ball back to Lewis and when the ball comes to the guy in the middle he is onside as he is behind the ball when it was played. It is then questionable whether Hardie is ahead of the ball when he next receives it however as the ball came to him via a deflection from our defender it becomes irrelevant and is therefore onside. 

There is no distinction between a goalkeeper and an outfield player in the offside laws of the game.

• Upvote 2

What? Seriously? New to the game MT?

Allow me to put my old referee head on for a moment. Ok so there's 2 Livi players involved, Hardie coming from the left and the dude in the centre. Hardie is onside when McKenna plays the ball back to Lewis and when the ball comes to the guy in the middle he is onside as he is behind the ball when it was played. It is then questionable whether Hardie is ahead of the ball when he next receives it however as the ball came to him via a deflection from our defender it becomes irrelevant and is therefore onside.

There is no distinction between a goalkeeper and an outfield player in the offside laws of the game.

The deflection off Considine is not irrelevant because when Considine plays the ball against Pittman Hardie was (as far as I can see) slightly ahead of both Pittman and the ball. So as far as I'm concerned it's offside as soon as Pittman plays the ball.
  • Downvote 1

The deflection off Considine is not irrelevant because when Considine plays the ball against Pittman Hardie was (as far as I can see) slightly ahead of both Pittman and the ball. So as far as I'm concerned it's offside as soon as Pittman plays the ball.

That's it, booked for dissent. It's onside and am gein the fuckin goal so shut the fuck up or yer aff. Hey am getting the hing o this again. 

It is NOT an offence to be standing in an offside position. He is onside until he becomes ACTIVE by way of receiving the ball or obstructing an opposition player from getting to the ball.....yada yada yada. In this instance the player is not active until he plays the ball which was in effect passed to him by Considine NOT Pittman. ONSIDE - the goal stands.

That's it, booked for dissent. It's onside and am gein the fuckin goal so shut the fuck up or yer aff. Hey am getting the hing o this again. 

It is NOT an offence to be standing in an offside position. He is onside until he becomes ACTIVE by way of receiving the ball or obstructing an opposition player from getting to the ball.....yada yada yada. In this instance the player is not active until he plays the ball which was in effect passed to him by Considine NOT Pittman. ONSIDE - the goal stands.

haha.

Very good analysis there tiktak. Surely though the fact that Hardie played the ball to Pittman in the first place and was looking to get on the end of his return pass means he was never inactive in the move in the first place? He was always active surely?

haha.

Very good analysis there tiktak. Surely though the fact that Hardie played the ball to Pittman in the first place and was looking to get on the end of his return pass means he was never inactive in the move in the first place? He was always active surely?

That was always the argument back when they first started to meddle with the offside rule which was clear when I was reffing. In my day if you were in an offside position you could be sitting doing a shite by the corner flag but you were still offside. Then they started to meddle and bring in a 'not interfering with play' and now it's the active/inactive thing and the argument became "if you're not interfering with play then what are you doing on the park". Active these days seems to be either touching the ball or impeding an opponent from getting to it although you will still see examples where the player moves towards the ball and the linesman will put his flag up before the player gets to it. 

You say he was looking to get on the end of his return pass, I can argue he was trying to get back behind the ball. 

yada. In this instance the player is not active until he plays the ball which was in effect passed to him by Considine NOT Pittman. ONSIDE - the goal stands.

If the player was in an offside position when the intialal player shot and he scored the rebound then he is offside.

It is similar to a player tapping in a rebound off a keeper then being flagged for offside.