Graeme Shinnie.....

5 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

Has he been playing recently?

According to his RedTV interview, no, not enough. That's another reason for coming back he said

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I'd still be starting him

Most, if not all of us would too

I still 'feel' that his return isn't JG's idea - How he deals it will show if he's willing to learn, change, and accept the help / support he's being given

17 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

Has he been playing recently, will he be match fit for 75/90 minutes?

He's came on as a sub in most games this season, wasn't in match day squad for their game on Monday but came off the bench against Sunderland on 29th December.

12 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I'd still be starting him. He can always come off later 

Better to have him starting and setting the tone rather than coming on later to try and rescue a shit show which isn't really his game. 

I completely agree he needs to be on from the start. Apart from anything else it will get the supporters pumped up. 

What a difference a day makes going from the concern of a couple of ex players coming back to kick us when we're down to the buzz of one of our most focused ex players coming back to help us sort our shit out.

12 minutes ago, North_Andy_Dandy said:

Where’s this idea that he’s not a signing Goodwins signed off on came from?

Just reading between the lines. Club is under pressure, Cormack is trying the alleviate that pressure on his beleaguered manager so personally funds the return of a fans favourite. Out with the wages budget set aside for Jan.

Plus, he’s not really a Jim type player; vocal presence in the dressing room, local favourite etc etc. Going on how Consi and Brooner were treated, it looks to me that Jim only wants to hear one voice; his voice 

• Upvote 2
21 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Just reading between the lines. Club is under pressure, Cormack is trying the alleviate that pressure on his beleaguered manager so personally funds the return of a fans favourite. Out with the wages budget set aside for Jan.

Plus, he’s not really a Jim type player; vocal presence in the dressing room, local favourite etc etc. Going on how Consi and Brooner were treated, it looks to me that Jim only wants to hear one voice; his voice 

I'm not buying in to this. He got rid of Consi as he didn't see him as a ball carrier or able to play out from the back (not suggesting Stewart is either but hey ho). He was also wanting to lower the age of the squad.
Brown was a Glass man... you could see why that had no future.

10 hours ago, PondHopper said:

Not that old. 

4 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

He's 31 nae 41

I get what you're both saying but it's his playing style isn't it?

He's like a little terrier running around getting involved in everything. 

At least, that's how I remember him and that type of performance takes a lot of energy and stamina.

Anyway, I've never seen Stewart talk that much during games to anyone other than the other defenders so I hope Shinnie brings a guiding voice to the midfield and strikers. 

1 minute ago, Dal Riata Don said:

At least, that's how I remember him and that type of performance takes a lot of energy and stamina.

Anyway, I've never seen Stewart talk that much during games to anyone other than the other defenders so I hope Shinnie brings a guiding voice to the midfield and strikers. 

It's not like he's been over-played in the last year since joining Wigan though. He might struggle to complete a full 90 minutes for 2 or 3 weeks due to his lack of starts but I've no real concerns about him doing so beyond the very short term. 

And Hayes is a similar all-action player. Who's still going strong well past his 35th birthday. 

See the footage of Goodwin welcoming Shinnie at Cormack Park yesterday? I’m looking at that and thinking, who actually is the boss here?
Shinnie will boss Aberdeen one day in the not too distant future, I’m sure, but already, I’m looking at that photo and thinking, who has the bigger influence?

With Shinnie, Hayes and Barry Robson still around, we have the nucleus of lads who get what Aberdeen FC are all about, know what the fans want and expect. I think Goodwin will find that an additional burden on his shoulders.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, sooth_stander said:

See the footage of Goodwin welcoming Shinnie at Cormack Park yesterday? I’m looking at that and thinking, who actually is the boss here?
Shinnie will boss Aberdeen one day in the not too distant future, I’m sure, but already, I’m looking at that photo and thinking, who has the bigger influence?

You're looking into this signing an awful lot

2 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

It's not like he's been over-played in the last year since joining Wigan though. He might struggle to complete a full 90 minutes for 2 or 3 weeks due to his lack of starts but I've no real concerns about him doing so beyond the very short term. 

And Hayes is a similar all-action player. Who's still going strong well past his 35th birthday. 

Yes, all good points in the first paragraph and I hope you're correct but about Hayes, he's gone right off the boil since his injury and it's really depressing to see (I hope it's just a bad spell - he did look better Vs. County). 

It's frustrating to watch never-will-be's like Richardson, Morris etc., in a Dons shirt but to see the likes of Hayes now and McGinn before him wind-down in front of your eyes, it's really, really sad I think. 

I know, I know, it's early days with Shinnie yet.

• Dildo 2
19 minutes ago, Dal Riata Don said:

Hayes still does that and he's what, 4/5 years older?

10 minutes ago, Dal Riata Don said:

Yes, all good points in the first paragraph and I hope you're correct but about Hayes, he's gone right off the boil since his injury and it's really depressing to see (I hope it's just a bad spell - he did look better Vs. County). 

It's frustrating to watch never-will-be's like Richardson, Morris etc., in a Dons shirt but to see the likes of Hayes now and McGinn before him wind-down in front of your eyes, it's really, really sad I think. 

I know, I know, it's early days with Shinnie yet.

Hayes was arguably our best player pre the Hearts 2-0 game. His attitude is terrific and rubs off on the younger ones.

I hope he gets another year on his contract but the flip side is, he might want to step into the management hotseat elsewhere. Unlike Robson…..

18 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

With Shinnie, Hayes and Barry Robson still around, we have the nucleus of lads who get what Aberdeen FC are all about, know what the fans want and expect. I think Goodwin will find that an additional burden on his shoulders.

Ah yes, a lad that fucked off for free at the first chance, another that went to Celtic at the first chance and a player that came for one last pay day at the end of his career, really getting it.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Dildo 2
2 minutes ago, minijc said:

Ah yes, a lad that fucked off for free at the first chance, another that went to Celtic at the first chance and a player that came for one last pay day at the end of his career, really getting it.

Realistically it’s a short playing career and they knew this was the last big payout’s they would get. 

4 minutes ago, minijc said:

Shinnie signed an extension with us mini so didn't fuck off on a free at the first opportunity 

2 minutes ago, minijc said:

That’s rubbish. Study the way milne_afcOPOTY drops his  🎣 

18 minutes ago, TheRedPrawcess said:

You're looking into this signing an awful lot

Think back to when Ian Porterfield took over. Willie Miller is on record as saying that he used to tell the lads as they left the dressing room on match day - “forget that rubbish, THIS is how we are going to play.”

Shinnie doesn’t strike me as a troublemaker kind of guy but imagine him listening to Goodwin ahead of that Celtic game? 

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Shinnie signed an extension with us mini so didn't fuck off on a free at the first opportunity 

Signed an extension due to no interest then fucked off when there was, so aye, first opportunity. 

1 minute ago, Poodler said:

That’s rubbish. Study the way milne_afcOPOTY drops his  🎣 

Difference is, I'm serious. 

8 minutes ago, minijc said:

Are you really criticising Hayes and Shinnie for lining their families pockets for 3 or 4 years in the middle of their careers? You must be the only Aberdeen fan who thinks that way.

Doesn’t make them any less AFC legends in my book.