Coronavirus

Henry

Guest milne_afc

Is there any evidence that closing pubs has a drastic effect on the economy? As far as I can see, folk who have had foreign holidays cancelled and fewer nights on the vino collapso are increasing spending on home improvements and family trips to more local attractions etc. 

Think the UK had over 2% growth in the last reported quarter which would usually be a massive success. 

Just now, redstrummer said:

you seemed to need an awful lot explained you . i'm not going to bother , parky's done enough of that without getting anywhere

So we do in a year what has never been done before and develop a vaccine for a coronavirus? An effective one with no side effects? In a year from a standing start? 

If you and Parky believe that I'm happy for you but don't patronise me or make me out to be stupid for having my doubts 

5 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

Why is it looking like that? What happens in March/April that changes? 

Well a few things, I'd imagine (in my opinion, not fact just opinion - in case you're in doubt): 

1. There's quite a few vaccines that'll either give immunity or significantly reduce the impact of Covid in wide scale trials, were told these will be ready by early 2021  

2. We'll develop treatments for those suffering the harshest effects of the virus (this is already happening with some existing medicines being found to significantly improve outcomes). IMO this is bigger than a vaccine  

3. Even if number 1 doesn't come to pass, number 2 is and will and we'll have little choice but to get back to something much closer to normality. 

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Well a few things, I'd imagine (in my opinion, not fact just opinion - in case you're in doubt): 

1. There's quite a few vaccines that'll either give immunity or significantly reduce the impact of Covid in wide scale trials, were told these will be ready by early 2021  

2. We'll develop treatments for those suffering the harshest effects of the virus (this is already happening with some existing medicines being found to significantly improve outcomes). IMO this is bigger than a vaccine  

3. Even if number 1 doesn't come to pass, number 2 is and will and we'll have little choice but to get back to something much closer to normality. 

OK but if neither of those things come to pass, and there are sound reasons for believing they won't, then we are stuck with this forever aren't we? 

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Nr.2 is already happening. 

We've discovered one drug. My understanding is that it's pneumonia that finishes off covid patients in the main(happy for @Poodler to correct if that's wrong) and that finishes off tens of thousands of flu patients per year, with a vaccine and years of treatment experience behind it.

There will always be thousands of people per year dying from this, vaccine or not. We're going to be living with masks, social distancing and lockdowns for years to come. People are saying it and have been for months but it's been ignored in favour of talk of miracle vaccines and non existant medical treatments. 

34 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

We've discovered one drug. My understanding is that it's pneumonia that finishes off covid patients in the main(happy for @Poodler to correct if that's wrong) and that finishes off tens of thousands of flu patients per year, with a vaccine and years of treatment experience behind it.

There will always be thousands of people per year dying from this, vaccine or not. We're going to be living with masks, social distancing and lockdowns for years to come. People are saying it and have been for months but it's been ignored in favour of talk of miracle vaccines and non existant medical treatments. 

There are Steroid treatments being used today that significantly help with effects for serious Covid cases according to a few journals I have read. They’ll continue to find better treatments as well. I agree with parkie in saying this will be the key rather than the vaccine. Chin up matey, it won’t be forever. 

8 minutes ago, daytripping said:

Anybody who listens to anything that so called celebrities say about anything needs to have a hard look at themselves.

They are not in the real world.

They are in a bubble of their own making.

Covid-19 is just a nuisance to them.

2 hours ago, milne_afc said:

Is there any evidence that closing pubs has a drastic effect on the economy? As far as I can see, folk who have had foreign holidays cancelled and fewer nights on the vino collapso are increasing spending on home improvements and family trips to more local attractions etc. 

Think the UK had over 2% growth in the last reported quarter which would usually be a massive success. 

Possibly no evidence but bar staff, chippers, students nae working behind a bar and therefore nae spending cash in clothes shops etc . Taxis, folk nae being able to go to restaurants. 

I’ll put my cards down that I reckon  this has fucked  the economy.