Coronavirus

Henry

On 10/10/2020 at 10:21 AM, Parklife said:

. . 

Restrictions done right, such as in many Far Eastern countries would've saved both thousands of lives and protected economic activity as well as possible. However, many western countries and their citizens have an exceptionalism where they are inherently superior to nations like Taiwan, thailand, Korea, Japan, etc. and so chose to ignore the warnings we had and take half arsed measures. The results are huge death tolls and huge economic decline. ". 

Nice bit of stereotyping. You including the 10 million swedes whose behaviour you’re an expert on as one of those western countries?

Is it not more likely those Far Eastern countries have had a better outcome firstly because of different reporting methods and secondly because they have pretty recent experience in dealing with viral outbreaks such as SARS?

21 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It's pretty obvious that the belief is that social distancing goes to shit if people have been drinking. The risk of transmission indoors is also greater than it is outdoors. 

Its all pretty logical tbh. 

Yes but you can still go for a pish inside and it is shut indoors from 6 so it’s like folk are likely to be smashed out of their nut and huggin  each other. Don.’t see the difference with me having a Diet Coke while out having lunch or a beer.

34 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It's pretty obvious that the belief is that social distancing goes to shit if people have been drinking. 

You won't admit it,  but surely even you must privately concede it's a nonsense. If you're sitting having a quiet pint in the afternoon with your partner or 1 or 2 pals,  you're not spreading the virus anymore than someone doing the exact same but having a softdrink.  She's using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. 

1 hour ago, NEM said:

Nice bit of stereotyping. You including the 10 million swedes whose behaviour you’re an expert on as one of those western countries?

I never claimed to be an expert. I never do. I just read things to try and learn. Maybe you should do the same. 

1 hour ago, NEM said:

Is it not more likely those Far Eastern countries have had a better outcome firstly because of different reporting methods and secondly because they have pretty recent experience in dealing with viral outbreaks such as SARS?

They're better at dealing with a pandemic due to previous experience, of course. Western countries could've also learned from these nations but chose not to. 

50 minutes ago, Fridge said:

Yes but you can still go for a pish inside and it is shut indoors from 6 so it’s like folk are likely to be smashed out of their nut and huggin  each other. Don.’t see the difference with me having a Diet Coke while out having lunch or a beer.

You hug folk when you go for a pish? Not sure what your point is. Reducing people inside (a higher risk area of transmission thank outside), will evidently reduce the risk. Seems pretty obvious to me. 

27 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

You won't admit it,  but surely even you must privately concede it's a nonsense.

What's a nonsense? Having them open at all? I agree.

• Downvote 3
1 minute ago, maryhilldon said:

Why are we allowed to sit inside at all then?  Why are coffee and tea drinkers exempt? 

Well it's pretty obvious they believe there is a correlation between alcohol consumption and lack of social distancing and therefore increased risk of virus transmission. 

Given the restrictions in Ireland (pubs have been shut in Dublin since March and the rest of country is now the same), Brussels and now likely England to follow, it seems the Scottish government is far from alone in believing these restrictions can stem the growing virus prevalence. 

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Well it's pretty obvious they believe there is a correlation between alcohol consumption and lack of social distancing and therefore increased risk of virus transmission. 

You had to be sat at a table,  table service,  masks to go to the toilet.  How could you fail to adhere to the rules?  Don't know where you drink but I didn't see folk hugging or getting into huddles. 

If China were better at dealing with a pandemic due to previous pandemics, how did it ever get off the ground? 

I understand the theory behind the alcohol link but in practice it just drives people to house parties etc. Bit like legalising drugs, they just couldn't be seen to allow it to happen even though it makes moral and financial sense.

we will look back at this era and wonder how the fuck we ever let it happen. Everyone will feel the financial pinch for a generation. It's truly disgusting it ever got this far. i see the bbc this morning are pedalling doomsday predictions again. 

they need to try and control the increasingly sceptical public 

20 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

You had to be sat at a table,  table service,  masks to go to the toilet.  How could you fail to adhere to the rules?  Don't know where you drink but I didn't see folk hugging or getting into huddles. 

It was Fridge who mentioned hugging. Best as him. 

16 minutes ago, Lencarl said:

Pubs have been on the decline for years.

Banning smoking was the last nail in the coffin.

Drinking yourself stupid in some dive is a thing of the past.

In Nicola we trust.

:beer:

Banning smoking was a great move (think it was the Lab/Lib coalition that did it actually). 

Parkie you are completely missing the point. Nobody is saying they are high fiving each other while going for a slash.

But I can have a beer outside and then go inside  for a piss or a Fanta if I want. Or sit inside with Covid and have an Irn Bu and spread it. It’s a fucking farce. They just make it up as they go along.

4 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Banning smoking didn't have as significant an effect on pub revenue as the squeezing of the working man due to over a decade of "austerity" and the fraudulent manipulation of the economy. 

Agree totally. 

3 minutes ago, Fridge said:

Parkie you are completely missing the point. Nobody is saying they are high fiving each other while going for a slash.

But I can have a beer outside and then go inside  for a piss or a Fanta if I want. Or sit inside with Covid and have an Irn Bu and spread it. It’s a fucking farce. They just make it up as they go along.

I'm missing fuck all. You're the one the one who brought up hugging/ high fives. No idea why tbh  

if you're drunk and only going inside for two minutes for the toilet, it's obviously less of a risk than being inside the entire time. As I've already said, they obviously see being drunk as an extra risk factor. You might not agree with their thinking but not being able to understand it is just being obtuse. 

38 minutes ago, Poodler said:

If China were better at dealing with a pandemic due to previous pandemics, how did it ever get off the ground? 

I understand the theory behind the alcohol link but in practice it just drives people to house parties etc. Bit like legalising drugs, they just couldn't be seen to allow it to happen even though it makes moral and financial sense.

we will look back at this era and wonder how the fuck we ever let it happen. Everyone will feel the financial pinch for a generation. It's truly disgusting it ever got this far. i see the bbc this morning are pedalling doomsday predictions again. 

they need to try and control the increasingly sceptical public 

The main problem at the moment is that the golden rule for politicians is 'never admit you were wrong' so even though its clear that lockdowns don't work and are only kicking the can down the road here we are blundering into another lockdown. 

The virus will always be here, it'll always be infecting people, the only thing that can change is our approach to it. 

17 minutes ago, Fridge said:

It's called reducing the risk , without completely shutting down all hospitality . Amazed some of you guys need this spelt out for you . Listen to Nicola's daily briefings and the penny might drop 

• Downvote 2
4 minutes ago, redstrummer said:

It's called reducing the risk , without completely shutting down all hospitality . Amazed some of you guys need this spelt out for you . Listen to Nicola's daily briefings and the penny might drop 

But there is always going to be a risk. Do we have to do away with live football, gigs, pubs, restaurants forever because it's looking that way.