January 2021

5 minutes ago, Wester Hailes Skins said:

Welcome to Hearts Gary Mackay-Steven. Decent player. Left side. Just what we need. On a 2.5 year deal. Will still be younger than Hayes and McGinn are now by the end of his contract.. You're welcome. ???? 

Aye well done, Skins, attracting a player of that quality to the championship.

Regular readers will notice I wasn't jumping for joy when I read the possibility he was signing, quite the contrary in fact, so this is good news (in my opinion, of course)

So with us apparently losing out on GMS to Hearts. Apparently we talked to Brophy but he's chosen St Mirren & now Wright rejecting the latest offer I think it's clear to see we are maybe struggling financially more so than what meets the eye.

Obviously every club will be struggling financially during the current climate but it looks like we might be more so than some other clubs.

In hindsight I'm absolutely delighted we're not throwing money at GMS & Brophy to get them to come, I'm kind ofannoyed with the Wright one as I believe he's worth more in comparison to others in the team who earn more but he is replaceable and if we genuinely can't afford decent wages then we might be struggling to get anyone decent in this window. Loan deals if anything.

Hopefully we take a new approach going forward and stop lumping money at shite, boys like McGinn, Ojo, McGeough will all be on decent wages and currently offer our starting XI absolutely sweet FA.

25 minutes ago, Wester Hailes Skins said:

Welcome to Hearts Gary Mackay-Steven. Decent player. Left side. Just what we need. On a 2.5 year deal. Will still be younger than Hayes and McGinn are now by the end of his contract.. You're welcome. ???? 

From the team who gave 6k a week to Boyce , a guy who is both injured every other week and failed to score in his last 8 Premiership games with Hearts , you are welcome to a guy who is past 30 and has relied always on his pace.

Hayes is a better all round player and more of a team player than GMS will be. Pointless comparison.

I take it the fact you are in the Championship and just lost at Dundee is lost on you? Yo-Yo club ?

Just now, GDON21 said:

Sounds more like thew board don't want to back a manager who may not be in charge past the end of this season? 

Nah.

I just think it’s as simple as we HAVE backed him & he’s wasted it.

The finances are obviously not good with COVID & no fans moment until next season at some point. 

Squad is large in numbers & limited in quality.

That’s McInnes & Richardson’s doing.

I said last night, of the 16 going out of contract in Jan/May 2021 there’s maybe 3 I’d keep. 

We can plod along with what we have (we’ll probably finish 3rd) & have scope for huge changes in the summer. 

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, Sonoftherock said:

GMS has apparently signed for Hearts! 

Some statement of intent for them to beat us to this one while in the first division!

thought he really came onto a game during the second half of his spell with us!

Until he took a head knock in the league cup final and reverted back into a complete shitebag

10 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Nah.

The finances are obviously not good with COVID & no fans moment until next season at some point. 

I said last night, of the 16 going out of contract in Jan/May 2021 there’s maybe 3 I’d keep. 

We can plod along with what we have (we’ll probably finish 3rd) & have scope for huge changes in the summer. 

Ojo, Kennedy and Main. 

There was no reason to sign them. 

Main is shite just like we thought. 

Kennedy creates fuck all, just like he did at all his previous clubs. 

And Ojo is League 1 or 2 shite, and is shite as would be expected - did he not learn his lesson with Forrester and Gleeson. 

The point is that these players haven't come in and been a disappointment. They've preformed exactly to their level. Why the fuck McInnes thought they'd suddenly get better at Aberdeen, I don't know. Maybe he has an over inflated idea of his own ability to improve players. 

34 minutes ago, The_Next_Legend said:

So with us apparently losing out on GMS to Hearts. Apparently we talked to Brophy but he's chosen St Mirren & now Wright rejecting the latest offer I think it's clear to see we are maybe struggling financially more so than what meets the eye.

Obviously every club will be struggling financially during the current climate but it looks like we might be more so than some other clubs.

If as is being hinted on UEFA fans forums that whoever wins the Scottish Cup (or finishes 3rd if Rangers or Celtic win the Cup) gets put straight into the final qualifying round of the Europa League with a guaranteed place in either the Europa League group stage or the Conference League group stage then I'm slightly disappointed we aren't trying to bring in new faces. That could solve some of our financial woes.

I'm guessing by the way McInnes was talking about Watkins in his red tv press conference that he really wants him back so I assume he is our number 1 summer target.

23 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Nah.

Yeah but the biggest change of all in the summer HAS to be the manager.

5 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

If we sign a young attacking player in the summer then all is forgiven. 

But I suspect we might go after Watkins (who is the same age as GMS BTW), play him in the Wright role and have Ross Stewart up front. 

Lewis Morgan is my bet, for a summer arrival.
As we all say, Derek ALWAYS gets his man in the end, and he’s been after him a few times.

29 minutes ago, GDON21 said:

Sounds more like thew board don't want to back a manager who may not be in charge past the end of this season? 

Might be the case sooner or later, but with a year left of his contract after this season, that's still a chunky payoff with the daft wages he's on now. Probably have to pay off Tony Doc too which will add some.

They're maybe using Covid as an excuse to back him far less and do enough to get by until next summer when the contracts expire. We're still gonna need some players in the door with likes of Wright leaving, loans expiring and others maybe moving on though so they'll need some sort of recruitment drive in the coming months to an extent. Ideally get a good fee for Ferguson and Cosgrove in the next 18 months and give some funds to the next manager. PS. Don't want rid of Ferguson but he's our biggest asset and you can see him moving on soon'ish, would make sense for us to do so while he's got a solid amount of time left on his contract so we get a good fee.

It seems like we are fixed on playing wing backs and either 3-5-2 or more normally 3-4-2-1 as oppose to a formation where you would need an out and out winger . We already have Hayes and Leigh who can play the left wing back role and I don't think that would be a role GMS would want to play anyway. So unless we plan to change formation there would be little point in signing GMS. He could maybe play the more central role in behind the central striker but unless we were able to offload a McGinn, Wright, Kennedy, Mclennan or Hedges there would be little point and I think GMS preferred to stay out wide.

I don't think its a case of them beating us to a player as we never made an offer. McInnes didn't rule out trying to get him back when initially asked a few weeks back but he did say it wouldn't be a priority so I got the impression it would depend on if he was allowed to make changes and what funds were available..

What would be more of a concern for me is that both Mcinnes and Cormack said at the AGM that we would be looking to make changes in Jan, but today Derek has stated there is no point asking him about players as there wont be anyone coming in in Jan. This in the same few days as we were outbid by St Mirren for Brophy, unable to make offer for GMS even if we would have wanted to, Wright has rejected an offer which has rumoured to have been quite paltry and we have been getting linked with a centre half from the championship.

I think its obvious that things have changed a lot in the time since the AGM took place and its being realised that there will definitely be no fans for the rest of this season. I think they are also very worried and concerned that fans wont renew season tickets for a second season of possibly having to say at home as even with a vaccine, its highly unlikely full crowds will be in place for next season. Also this year is likely to see more people out of work and so DNA renewals are also likely to drop. I might be proved wrong here but I think there is a big belt tightening exercise now already started after the new covid strains emerged and the resulting lockdown meant that the budget constraints will be much worse than they originally planned for.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
3 hours ago, StandFree1982 said:

GMS going to Hearts apparently.

According to Anthony Joseph on Twitter:

Last part is not surprising. I'm not sure how Hearts can afford to get him in and we can't though.  

Constructive fiddling of the books using the government grant to sign players even though clubs have been told they’re not allowed

3 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Interesting to see how he performs playing WITH a bunch of wrestlers & MMA fighters rather than having to hide from them

Hmmm. Maybe it's BECAUSE you have players who run away scared from Olly Lee and Craig Wighton, that you don't get to cup finals like we do. 

Anyway. That's GMS pictured with the Hearts scarf now. Looks good. 

• Downvote 3
  • Dildo 2