Niall McGinn

I think it took everyone by surprise... i wonder if he was offered very much reduced terms, but a long term contract to compensate? Would be interesting to know - I've he's still one of our top earners, it's not really idea - given that he doesn't play much these days (and when he does play, is total shite).

That would be my guess. Longer term for his security but reduced wage to reflect his squad status

Perhaps Reynolds is someone the younger lads in the squad look up to? Potential future coach material? Be a shame to see him go, he's been decent up until the last two seasons, when injury and playing alongside bombscare Ash have made him look a bit sketchy.

Perhaps Reynolds is someone the younger lads in the squad look up to? Potential future coach material? Be a shame to see him go, he's been decent up until the last two seasons, when injury and playing alongside bombscare Ash have made him look a bit sketchy.

Reynolds and Taylor werent always sketchy playing together. In season 2014/15 we won 8 league games in a row between November and January without conceding a single goal with those two at the back. Taylor was definitely bombscare at least once per game but I think Reynolds decline is mostly down to himself he isnt as quick as he was and he seems less confident in my opinion. He is rather easily outmuscled and regularly beaten in the air. Whether some of that is down to injuries and just getting older Im not sure. He does seem to be a very popular figure in the dressing room like you say perhaps McInnes sees him as a future coach.

• Upvote 2

Reynolds and Taylor werent always sketchy playing together. In season 2014/15 we won 8 league games in a row between November and January without conceding a single goal with those two at the back. Taylor was definitely bombscare at least once per game but I think Reynolds decline is mostly down to himself he isnt as quick as he was and he seems less confident in my opinion. He is rather easily outmuscled and regularly beaten in the air. Whether some of that is down to injuries and just getting older Im not sure. He does seem to be a very popular figure in the dressing room like you say perhaps McInnes sees him as a future coach.

To be fair to Taylor there was a half season there where he was playing genuinely well. After that the bombscare we all saw on his debut came back and never left. A truly terrible player.

Reynolds I suspect is just past it at this point. Thought it was weird giving him a new contract tbh and if these rumors are true that we're looking at this Uruguayan boy (unlikely), then that more or less proves that it was the mistake we all thought that it was. I doubt he's planning on becoming a coach either - he's doing an engineering degree at RGU now isn't he?

I don't think it would be a shame if he left really - there's no room for sentimentality and we can't afford to pay people just because of good form a year or 2 ago.

To be fair to Taylor there was a half season there where he was playing genuinely well. After that the bombscare we all saw on his debut came back and never left. A truly terrible player.

Reynolds I suspect is just past it at this point. Thought it was weird giving him a new contract tbh and if these rumors are true that we're looking at this Uruguayan boy (unlikely), then that more or less proves that it was the mistake we all thought that it was. I doubt he's planning on becoming a coach either - he's doing an engineering degree at RGU now isn't he?

I did hear he was doing a degree at RGU so maybe the new contract was on far reduced terms to reflect his standing in the squad now which hopefully suited both parties. Aberdeen get an experienced squad player on relatively low wages and Reynolds gets to stay on for an extra few years and finishes his degree course by the time his new contract ends.

However if he was given a new contract on similar terms to what he was on before which is one of the highest paid players in the squad then that is a major eyebrow raising decision.

I did hear he was doing a degree at RGU so maybe the new contract was on far reduced terms to reflect his standing in the squad now which hopefully suited both parties. Aberdeen get an experienced squad player on relatively low wages and Reynolds gets to stay on for an extra few years and finishes his degree course by the time his new contract ends.

However if he was given a new contract on similar terms to what he was on before which is one of the highest paid players in the squad then that is a major eyebrow raising decision.

Thats all very well in theory, but how often do you think players take a pay cut in a new contract? I think its unlikely tbh.

Thats all very well in theory, but how often do you think players take a pay cut in a new contract? I think its unlikely tbh.

It does happen especially when players get older it has happened before at AFC. I remember when Derek Whyte left us it was because he was offered a new contract on reduced terms (from memory he was on £2000 per week and his new contract offer was only £600 per week).

I agree that it just wouldnt happen with established first team players or emerging youngsters.But Reynolds is now ageing and a bit part player so I wouldnt be surprised if the new contract was on reduced terms.

When they are given 2 more years than they would ordinarily have got

Also when they are in decline

You handed out a lot of football contracts lately that you'd know this actually happens regularly?

I doubt it actually happens very often, most players won't be modest enough to accept a significant cut while remaining at the same club IMO. Its not as if he's turning out in our reserve team, I'm sure he sees himself as a first team player.

It does happen especially when players get older it has happened before at AFC. I remember when Derek Whyte left us it was because he was offered a new contract on reduced terms (from memory he was on £2000 per week and his new contract offer was only £600 per week).

I agree that it just wouldnt happen with established first team players or emerging youngsters.But Reynolds is now ageing and a bit part player so I wouldnt be surprised if the new contract was on reduced terms.

Exactly my point - in your example the player didn't accept a pay cut.

Exactly my point - in your example the player didn't accept a pay cut.

True Whyte didnt accept it but his was a brutal pay cut going from over £100k per year to around £30k. Not many would accept that. Maybe Reynolds situation is different. Its well known his family is very settled in the area and that he is studying in Aberdeen for a new career after football. Maybe it just suited all parties for the extra 2 years on terms that reflect his new status as a squad player. I would like to think that was the case and that the club are not paying the current version of Mark Reynolds probably around the best part £2.5k per week for the next couple of years (our average annual salary for first team players is apparently around £135k).

You handed out a lot of football contracts lately that you'd know this actually happens regularly?

I doubt it actually happens very often, most players won't be modest enough to accept a significant cut while remaining at the same club IMO. Its not as if he's turning out in our reserve team, I'm sure he sees himself as a first team player.

Do you think Reynolds could have found a club willing to pay him what we were before his new contract?

Often. As players get older they can very often expect reduced terms on longer deals.

Some will accept the stability it offers, some won't.

Some will move on though and perhaps accept the same new or similar deal elsewhere to be the highest earners at smaller clubs rather than take a perceived pay cut.

It's not that far fetched.

Do you think Reynolds could have found a club willing to pay him what we were before his new contract?

No idea,

More to the point do you think McInnes and Afc take a tough stance in contract negotiations with players?

I just don't think we would push a guy like Reynolds that hard and I don't seem him asking the club for a big pay cut.

Seems unlikely, even if its what people would like to think has happened.

No idea,

More to the point do you think McInnes and Afc take a tough stance in contract negotiations with players?

I just don't think we would push a guy like Reynolds that hard and I don't seem him asking the club for a big pay cut.

V, I think there is a good chance there was a compromise in place with Reynolds. Extended contract to provide security while he completes his studies but on a possibly reduced rate to reflect his change in squad status. Means he gets to stay at Aberdeen and remain in the city without having to uproot his family. I can see how that would be beneficial to both parties.

• Upvote 1

No idea,

I doubt you would have to push someone hard to have them accept 3 years stability near the end of their career without having to uproot family and move etc. Can you see any other Premiership club offering him a three year deal? It wouldn't be Hearts/Hibs or the Huns so who does that leave, clubs that are nowhere near us in terms of wages and certainly wouldn't be handing out 3 year deals and making him a top earner.

It's really not a difficult situation to understand.

V, I think there is a good chance there was a compromise in place with Reynolds. Extended contract to provide security while he completes his studies but on a possibly reduced rate to reflect his change in squad status. Means he gets to stay at Aberdeen and remain in the city without having to uproot his family. I can see how that would be beneficial to both parties.

Maybe there is, I'm not saying there can't be, I just don't see any evidence of it other than people on here just deciding it MUST be the case.

My gut tells me there won't have been much of a cut. A few hundred quid maybe but nothing really significant.

If you reduce someone's salary by say 50%, that's serious shit right there. Its a serious impact on their lifestyle and on their family. Its not an easy conversation to have with an employee and not something good employers rush to do. We aren't the sort of club to play hard in contract negotiations IMO - and certainly not with established players, I think we prefer to look after people.

Reynolds was also still a regular in the squad at the rime of the renewal I seem to think, and we had lost Taylor and looked likely to need him more.

To my mind it all points to an extension on similarish wages, maybe a marginal reduction but nothing worth getting worked up about as if he must be taking a big cut.

But some people on here do like to argue the shit out of things they know nothing about instead of considering an alternative perspective for a moment or two.

I doubt you would have to push someone hard to have them accept 3 years stability near the end of their career without having to uproot family and move etc. Can you see any other Premiership club offering him a three year deal? It wouldn't be Hearts/Hibs or the Huns so who does that leave, clubs that are nowhere near us in terms of wages and certainly wouldn't be handing out 3 year deals and making him a top earner.

It's really not a difficult situation to understand.

Its nothing to do with "understanding" - its realism about how we operate as a club. Some people are getting a bit Championship Manager about this IMO.

Maybe he took a huge hit on his salary, I don't know or really care, but I don't see why you are all so convinced he did.

Do any of you have any evidence of this big wage cut?

Can you name 3 Aberdeen players in the last 3 years say that took significant wage cuts to stay at the club?

Its nothing to do with "understanding" - its realism about how we operate as a club. Some people are getting a bit Championship Manager about this IMO.

Maybe he took a huge hit on his salary, I don't know or really care, but I don't see why you are all so convinced he did.

Do any of you have any evidence of this big wage cut?

Can you name 3 Aberdeen players in the last 3 years say that took significant wage cuts to stay at the club?

I didn't say he took a "massive hit" on his salary.

• Downvote 2

some people on here do like to argue the shit out of things they know nothing about instead of considering an alternative perspective for a moment or two.

That's everyone on the Internet, ever. Lower your expectations. People are terrible.

So when's Mcginn going to make his (2nd) debut then? Has he got a squad number yet?

I didn't say he took a "massive hit" on his salary.

I'm not saying you did BHL.

But for several many people to be arguing quite adamantly that Reynolds will have taken a pay cut and that its very common for players to just be given a pay cut, I'm expecting they are talking about a genuinely significant cut not some 5% reduction.

I couldn't care less about a 5% reduction - it means nothing.

If people are just assuming its easy to give an employee a 25-50% reduction in salary, then I think they may be a little unrealistic, This isn't Championship Manager, you don't just go through your squad every season and tell them their new contracts will be reduced on a whim.

Its a pointless argument anyway, unless any of us know for a fact what his salary was before and on the new deal. It might even be the case he was on a fairly average deal on the previous contract and the new on just continued at that level while others have increased theirs.

That's everyone on the Internet, ever. Lower your expectations. People are terrible.

So when's Mcginn going to make his (2nd) debut then? Has he got a squad number yet?

My expectations aren't high, but I can still point it out!

As you point to.... the thread topic is McGinn.

I'd guess he'll be on the bench first game after the winter break.

• Upvote 1

No

Don't move the goal posts

I said he would have got lesser basic but more years

You said that doesn't happen

NOW you're trying to introduce a %?

Lol

You really are an arrogant twit, completely incapable of proper conversation

Its ok though i'll stick you on block again, sadly as you post about a million snide wee posts a day it does tend to fuck up all the threads for everyone.

I wonder how many people have you on block right now?