"Jet" signs

9 hours ago, frankie_mac's_4 said:

I might be splitting hairs but that's nae ball retention 

When the ball gets played in to him he does keep the ball a lot.

He was involved in the play for the winning goal.

If he got the ball 50 times in the game and lost it 15 times then thats a hellava better than Cosgrove getting the ball 10 times in a match and losing it 3 or 4 times.

6 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

Going to divide the fans I reckon.  Don't think he'll play much against the top teams.

I think the top teams is where he will 100% start. He offers us the outlet we need against them when we are pegged back. Get it to him and he will make it stick. I reckon he'll thrive off a bigger crowd so the OF teams at home he'll be well up for. 

11 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

I think the top teams is where he will 100% start. He offers us the outlet we need against them when we are pegged back. Get it to him and he will make it stick. I reckon he'll thrive off a bigger crowd so the OF teams at home he'll be well up for. 

I just think he'll be too much of a passenger, for 90 mins, against the better teams.  Time will tell I guess.

10 hours ago, Tord31 said:

but he got the ball to lose it. main, cosgrove and anderson never got the ball last season.

I was hardly paying attention second half of the season but i doubt kamberi, hornby and hendry were any betterr

56 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

If he got the ball 50 times in the game and lost it 15 times then thats a hellava better than Cosgrove getting the ball 10 times in a match and losing it 3 or 4 times.

Lolz

1 hour ago, Tord31 said:

No it's nae. But you're firing oot guesses on both sides of that argument

26 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Not a fan of JET? I think he's been really good.

He wasnae really good yesterday - mostly due to his poor ball retention.

He was very effective 1st leg vs Hacken agreed, but less so in the 2nd leg. Which is my point here

44 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

I was clearly lol'ing at your nonsense.

as for 'JET', jury is out as far as I'm concerned. 

19 minutes ago, frankie_mac's_4 said:

No it's nae. But you're firing oot guesses on both sides of that argument

He wasnae really good yesterday - mostly due to his poor ball retention.

He was very effective 1st leg vs Hacken agreed, but less so in the 2nd leg. Which is my point here

He attempted 39 passes and completed 31. Hardly that different to how it looked for me. If we looked up McInnes last twenty games I'm sure it would be horrific reading how many passes our striker/s attempted (not even caring about completed).

He won 3 aerial duels (can't see out of how many unfortunately)

He was dispossessed once.

Only one shot at goal.

2 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

He attempted 39 passes and completed 31. Hardly that different to how it looked for me. If we looked up McInnes last twenty games I'm sure it would be horrific reading how many passes our striker/s attempted (not even caring about completed).

He won 3 aerial duels (can't see out of how many unfortunately)

He was dispossessed once.

Only one shot at goal.

Aye he's a creator.  Some folk on here still think he's an out and out centre forward when he's rarely played as a centre forward in his career. 

He's doing a lot of the work that frees up Ramirez to make runs and find space. Some haven't realised that yet. 

Dont think he was bad at all yesterday.Think his ability to see/thread a pass(certainly an Upgrade on Cosgrove IMO) could be quite useful in the bigger games.No point in shooting him down til we see.

Saying that,would have been interesting to see what Cosgrove could have done in a more attack minded team

What about last season as a recent yardstick? 

He's already shown more than a disinterested Cosgrove, Main, Edmondson, Anderson, Kamberi or Hornby.

So that will do for now. 

He was excellent first leg against Hacken and we missed him badly when he went off in the second leg.  Didn't have a great game yesterday admittedly but it wasn't on the level of some of the shite the aforementioned gave us last year. 

32 minutes ago, frankie_mac's_4 said:

I canna argue with any numbers you put up cos I couldn't be arsed looking it up. But that losing possession once sounds like a pile of shite to me.

Fair enough though - seems he was outstanding yesterday 

8 failed passes and one dispossessed.

Maybe you just noticed those passes more than me. I saw the ball getting knocked forward and sticking with him, and although hardly the best player of all time it's a vast improvement for us.

18 hours ago, mutant said:

His whole demeanour is wrong.

Trudged out for the warm up miles behind the rest and coming out for both halves he just pandered out slow and looking like he can’t be arsed.

Few nice touches but watching him week in week out will get infuriating.

That's exactly what I though. Don't care about the warm-up, but slowly sauntering out the tunnel towards the centre for kick-off just looked odd, as if he was trying to make a point or win a bet.

Think he's just extremely lazy. Not that that's a bad thing if he's turning it on the skill and the explosive bursts at the right times, but didn't do it for me yesterday.

4 hours ago, Tord31 said:

Yes to this - compared to most of the "strikers" we've had in recent years he is significantly better at holding on to the ball and creating chances. He wins the ball in the air, holds on to it, links play, sees a through ball, can beat his man even at walking pace. Compare that to the same type of ball being played up to Cosgrove, who immediately falls to the ground and we lose possession. 

I do think that Glass needs to be a bit wiser in his use of JET though - I'd take him off after 70 mins and put on McGinn who can retain the ball in different ways. I guess the problem at the moment is that Ramirez can only last about 70 mins as he's not had the full pre-season. I'd take 70 mins of watching JET over 90 mins of Cosgrove, Main and the rest of the guff we've had in recent years any day. 

Effort wise... there's 10 other guys on the park to run around and chase the ball. I'd rather have someone like JET than Stevie May who ran around like a lunatic but delivered absolutely nothing. I'd like to see him get a goal in the next couple of games, as I think that would boost his confidence further and we'd see a bit more from him. We do need another striker in though and I still think it needs to be someone with pace to offer something a little bit different to the two we've got.

• Upvote 2

As far as laziness is concerned, I'm not that bothered if he is lazy, tbh... assuming he is actually lazy. He seemed lethargic towards the end of the 90 minutes, but we weren't chasing the game and United were so far out of the running that no-one was busting a gut. 

Re Stevie May, as mentioned, he ran like a wind-up toy, but he offered fuck all in front of goal. So energy doesn't mean shit for some players. 

Anyone who watched one of the best natural strikers we've had at Pittodrie, Charlie Nicholas, will remember seeing him more often than not standing with his hands on his hips on the halfway line while we defended. He rarely bothered getting back to help out, but when he got the up top he was a real threat because he could hold onto a ball, beat players, and perform the role of a striker... which is what we paid him for.  The goal JET scored against us last season, where he took the ball off a spacing-out Hayes, laid the ball off, moved into a position to get the return, then puts the ball in the net with three defenders around him is evidence he's a class above what has passed for a forward line in recent years. 

Ramirez looks like he'll be the workhorse in that area of the pitch, and will be a great foil for JET's natural ability. 

We do need another forward, though McGinn is sitting on the bench with his thumb up his arse right now, so... you know... we kinda already have a third first team striker* on the payroll. 

*He can play striker, don't fucking start. 

• Upvote 4

He was winning most of the balls in the air, and played a couple of great through balls etc. I'm happy with him doing what he's good at, and not fussed if he isn't running around like a headless chicken wasting energy trying to win the ball back without success like the Stevie Mays and Curtis Mains of this world.

Had we not gifted the opposition 2 goals tonight and won the game 3-0 nobody would be complaining about JET's performance. The reason we let them back in the game was nothing to do with him. 

• Upvote 1