What you doing today?

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

Got up and went to the gym to sweat out yesterdays badness. 

Study - Spanish 

Holiday plan - Spanish speaking countries 

Dinner 

Maybe watch a filum 

Early night. 

Which course are you using?

Ive recently started learning zee German on Duolingo 

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

Got up and went to the gym to sweat out yesterdays badness. 

Study - Spanish 

Holiday plan - Spanish speaking countries 

Dinner 

Maybe watch a filum 

Early night. 

Just watch Mexican films and listen to Manu Chao.

Learn this classic and you'll be half way there.

21 minutes ago, NEM said:

I’d been using Duolingo for Spanish. Was getting on fine but didn’t have time for it with 3 weeks before my last trip away and forgot loads of it. Reckon you have to supplement it with something else to reach conversational level. Can get by ordering food and drinks, but there’s always a Spanish smartarse on hand ready to bamboozle you.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, NEM said:

Working my way through this.

https://amzn.eu/d/1CddiG8

It's hard going and grammar focussed but has lots of exercises to test yourself as you go, which helps. 

Also got a few "Spanish short stories for beginners" which are basic wee stories with  a vocabulary section at the end of each one. Would imagine you can get similar for German. They're pretty helpful. I'd recommend. 

You preparing for the euros next summer? 😃

• Upvote 3
41 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Working my way through this.

https://amzn.eu/d/1CddiG8

It's hard going and grammar focussed but has lots of exercises to test yourself as you go, which helps. 

Also got a few "Spanish short stories for beginners" which are basic wee stories with  a vocabulary section at the end of each one. Would imagine you can get similar for German. They're pretty helpful. I'd recommend. 

You preparing for the euros next summer? 😃

Ha ha aye - decided to stop being an ignorant Brit and learn a bit of foreign muck. My mates learnt German as he’s over there a bit for football, was yapping away to the locals in Frankfurt. 

Thai or Croat next after German 😄

28 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Correct. Only way and the only reason to learn properly is to actually live and work in the country. Spending months learning how to ask “ Does the paella come with chips?” for your wee holiday in Benidorm when the fucking locals just answer you back in English anyway, is a total waste of time and money. 

Right and wrong at the same time. Easiest way is definitely by immersion, but you can certainly learn useful stuff from books and courses, and the more you know, the more you can muddle through a conversation.

1 minute ago, Ramandu said:

That's how you learn by immersion too. You muddle through in conversations, getting better each time. Fun imo.

Hans has more a Finishing School-feel requirement for his preferred brand of interaction - bit militant tbf Hanso ✌️

• Haha 1