Qarabag 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Lewis "might" have had some of the fault - but surely the question is why two players overwhelmed a Substitution allowing a shot, through a players legs, away on a bobbly pitch.

There were also two match saving saves that where as good as a goal - if we went into thursday  2-0 down the game is over 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, DelMonte said:

If you’re going to slate Ojo then just use the things (there’s plenty of them) that actually happen. 

He won the ball back a fair bit. 

You must have watched a different game from me......

I've not weighed in on Ojo because he has done alright for us so far this season , Yesterday he was pretty shite. Couldn't keep possession, Lack of tracking back when needed and his distribution was garbage (pitch doesn't help with that)

But to say he won the ball back a fair bit is nonsense 

53 minutes ago, RUL said:

Lewis kept the tie alive. I don't think woods is the answer. 

Watched a championship game midweek and think standard of goalkeeping generally is poor so we would struggle to do better than Lewis. 

Plenty 'keepers around that are better and cheaper wage wise than Lewis. Siegrist at Utd and Clark at St J are just 2 that immediately spring to mind, never mind loooking down south. But we are hamstrung by the contract we awarded Lewis that has the best part or another 3 years to run. He's just not seen as a priority to replace and right now there certainly are far bigger needs that need addressed.

His frequent fuck ups are concerning though. Beaten last night at his near post...........the happy clappers on here of course put no blame on him whatsoever but the pundits on Sportsound did. I know who's opinion I trust. To be fair to Lewis, he made a save late on that certainly kept the tie alive at only 1-0 down. FWIW I don't think it's quite the time to consider putting Woods in full time just yet. 

I think a 1-0 loss to that shower of shite, on that shambles of a pitch, with that disgrace of a referee, is not the end of the world. We also didn't show up until after HT which was nice of us.

In the words of Kevin Keegan...I would love it if we beat them (next week). Love it.

13 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Plenty 'keepers around that are better and cheaper wage wise than Lewis. Siegrist at Utd and Clark at St J are just 2 that immediately spring to mind, never mind loooking down south. But we are hamstrung by the contract we awarded Lewis that has the best part or another 3 years to run. He's just not seen as a priority to replace and right now there certainly are far bigger needs that need addressed.

His frequent fuck ups are concerning though. Beaten last night at his near post...........the happy clappers on here of course put no blame on him whatsoever but the pundits on Sportsound did. I know who's opinion I trust. To be fair to Lewis, he made a save late on that certainly kept the tie alive at only 1-0 down. FWIW I don't think it's quite the time to consider putting Woods in full time just yet. 

It's lazy as fuck to say keepers shouldn't be beaten at their near post, he's taken a good position and has been very unlucky to have the ball go through the keepers legs, most keepers don't get to that, some would but if you done that as a drill in training even the best keepers around would have 1, 2 or 3 go in.  I like Clark but he is prone to an error or 3 as well, Siegrist has done well but again has an error in him and I'd wager that at a bigger club, with lot higher expectation and cuntier fans he'd soon be seen as shite.

• Upvote 1

I flagged the Joe Lewis problem last season when we signed Gary Woods to a two year contract. I thought it was a no brainer to take any old bum as the second keeper for this season with a view to permanently changing Joe out in 2022.

As it is it's going to be later than that and as folk have flagged above we've got about ten bigger problems in the squad than Joe and Woods anyway.

1 hour ago, Bamber said:

Lewis "might" have had some of the fault - but surely the question is why two players overwhelmed a Substitution allowing a shot, through a players legs, away on a bobbly pitch.

There were also two match saving saves that where as good as a goal - if we went into thursday  2-0 down the game is over 

Spot on.  Lewis makes the odd mistake but he more than makes up for it with the number of important saves he makes

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, beef_sister said:

You must have watched a different game from me......

I've not weighed in on Ojo because he has done alright for us so far this season , Yesterday he was pretty shite. Couldn't keep possession, Lack of tracking back when needed and his distribution was garbage (pitch doesn't help with that)

But to say he won the ball back a fair bit is nonsense 

He did. It’s fucking obvious, he won it back in high positions. 

3 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Who were the pundits? 

3 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Were any of the pundits goalkeepers? 

"Shouldnt be beat at the near post" is such lazy punditry. From people who have never been a goalkeeper. If he moves to the left to cover near post even better and the boy fires it across him he gets crucified. 

Sometimes a keeper can get beat at the near post and it not be a mistake. 

What's your goalkeeping experience?

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Pash said:

I think a 1-0 loss to that shower of shite, on that shambles of a pitch, with that disgrace of a referee, is not the end of the world. We also didn't show up until after HT which was nice of us.

In the words of Kevin Keegan...I would love it if we beat them (next week). Love it.

Fucking right min!?

We are more than capable of doing what's required to get through, providing Stephen Glass picks our strongest available XI (minus Funso Ojo) and each of the XI pull their respective fingers and play to their strengths. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, dazzy_deff said:

"Shouldnt be beat at the near post" is such lazy punditry. From people who have never been a goalkeeper. If he moves to the left to cover near post even better and the boy fires it across him he gets crucified. 

I think Hayes being concerned with the guy overlaping also contributed. He should have stopped the cutback inside and if the ball was played down the line, it would have been up to the rest of the team to cover / block the cross.

17 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

He did. It’s fucking obvious, he won it back in high positions. 

No he never ?

He was caught between the midfield and the two forwards for the majority of the second half so the game pretty much passed him by, first half we never got far enough up the park to win it back in high positions. 

Like i said, i've not had a go at him this season, But last night he was pretty anonymous

4 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

The knives well and truly out for Lewis regardless this season. Quite sad to see.

Ive had them out for him for nigh on 18 months.....

I just think he's a bang average 'keeper.

David Marshall.......I'll repeat that........David Marshall.......................kept him out the Cardiff side for 5 years. 

Yes he was very good when he first joined up. It wasn't even a case of him just not being Langfield.

I'd like to say that his decline coincided with him being awarded the contract that was originally intended for Shinnie. Making him the highest paid player at that point plus tying in the captaincy......and for 5 years. I keep alluding to the fact that it's now a fucking millstone around our neck. We are stuck with him til it expires. But I actually think my doubts about him probably started a good 6 months prior to that even.

30 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

It is lazy punditry min, that is delivered as a generalisation instead of based on fact, like last night's goal.

I used to play with a lad who was on the books of Aberdeen as a goalkeeper prior to being released by Lenny Taylor. (Lenny if you are looking in, you got that decision well and truly wrong). He would be in goal against us, whilst I would be in goal at the other end. 

I am sure he would agree with me that to prevent an effort going in at the near post, it is the responsibility of the defenders to prevent the effort in the first place going goalwards.

Many an argument was had (and a few goalposts kicked) by me and fellow teammates if they blamed me for letting one in at my near post, absolving themselves of any blame. Cunts?.

Just now, rocket_scientist said:

Good point, handing the captaincy to him was an insane idea. Not just because a goalkeeper is uniquely unable to influence play but because his personality is not of a leader, of anything let alone men in a physical combat situation.

Do you know him? What a fucking stupid comment. 

9 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

It is lazy punditry min, that is delivered as a generalisation instead of based on fact, like last night's goal.

I used to play with a lad who was on the books of Aberdeen as a goalkeeper prior to being released by Lenny Taylor. (Lenny if you are looking in, you got that decision well and truly wrong). He would be in goal against us, whilst I would be in goal at the other end. 

I am sure he would agree with me that to prevent an effort going in at the near post, it is the responsibility of the defenders to prevent the effort in the first place going goalwards.

Many an argument was had (and a few goalposts kicked) by me and fellow teammates if they blamed me for letting one in at my near post, absolving themselves of any blame. Cunts?.

A mate of mine (and fellow poster on here) has played professional youth level, highland league first team level and has international caps at schoolboy level, as goalkeeper. Only just recently retired from junior football and he will tell you, keepers get beat near post all the time - doesnt make it a mistake. Lewis was perfectly positioned for where the striker hit the shot from, and was just beat by a combination of the ball going through Hayes' legs, and a well struck shot. 

5 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

Of course he doesnt. But he think it sounds good. 

He's right though. 

Regardless of people's opinions about whether goalkeepers should be captains or not it's pretty clear that Joe doesn't have the on field personality to do the job effectively.  I've no idea what he's like off the field, I'm just concerned with what happens on the park. 

You only have to look at what our new captain brings to the role to see that the two are chalk and cheese when it comes to inspiring others to perform. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

A mate of mine (and fellow poster on here) has played professional youth level, highland league first team level and has international caps at schoolboy level, as goalkeeper. Only just recently retired from junior football and he will tell you, keepers get beat near post all the time - doesnt make it a mistake. Lewis was perfectly positioned for where the striker hit the shot from, and was just beat by a combination of the ball going through Hayes' legs, and a well struck shot. 

Absolutely spot on min. 

Joe Lewis can feel aggrieved that the effort, albeit very well-struck, went in due to it going through Hayes' legs, leaving him very little or no time whatsoever to react. 

Folk that pass judgement on goalkeepers "shouldn't be beaten at their near post", especially using last night's example, are being very unfair, especially when taking into consideration, for instance, the circumstances that led to Qarabag's goal.