January 2022 transfer window

21 minutes ago, RabidGiraffe said:

I agree with you, but Charles-Cook isn't the right gamble.  

Trying for the best players of other clubs who are proven in the league is a decent strategy (e.g McGrath, Clark) but the problem is by the time they are established here they either want to try their luck down south or with the ugly sisters.  The ones we tend to get (in the McInnes era at least) are the ones who went south, didn't make it, headed back.

As you say we need players on the upswing at the right point in their career to bring them on and sell them after a couple of years.  Overseas leagues are probably the best place to look here (like the two we have signed so far this window).  Looking down south is pointless.  We might find some in the Scottish Championship.  There may be the occasional Shinnie, MacLean, Hayes, etc every other year.

That with a smattering of seasoned pros to help them along and the best youngsters from our own academy (also to bring on and sell) is a decent strategy.

The recruitment problem is finding the right players on the upswing and seasoned pros to bring in.

The challenge for the academy and pathways system in developing our own players, loaning them out at the right time and bringing them into the first team when they are ready.

I think this is a good approach for a club like ours.  Key is getting the recruitment and pathways right.  Some we'll get right. Some we'll get wrong. Need more of the former than the latter.

Aye fair enough. I agree with most of that. Think most on here would. 

4 hours ago, Dons79 said:

Not really weird at all, Fulham have been pumping teams 5,6,7 goals against teams this year, he’s obviously thought av no chance of breaking through into that team and being 20/21 he’s wanted to play, fair few Bob at Fulham as well so likely to strengthen, he knew at MK dons he would be starting.

It is weird in the sense he turned down a 3 year deal at Fulham and essentially become a free agent with the knowledge that no other team had offered him a contract of any kind. He only ended up at MK Dons initially to train with them and keep fit , before they ended up signing him.

Bit of a gamble that. 

3 hours ago, Eugenefani said:

Aye exactly my thoughts too. Mcinnes clearly had powers of persuasion when convincing players to join, Glass on the other hand appears to be struggling which is quite worrying. 

Pretty sure Glass is on record saying that he didn’t realise how much work was involved  and how difficult it is to get players signed.  Mcinnes said much the same hence a lot of signings were/are made in the last couple of days of the window.

I think the club were expecting an acceptable bid to have come in for either  Hedges/Ferguson/Ramsay in order to be able to secure a couple of targets.   I expect Hedges to be the one to leave this window after Saturdays game and maybe a loan striker to come in.  

Hearts could afford Gallagher and getting his hefty wages out the club would be a good bit of business.

Mugabe actually makes a bit of sense. He's different in style to McCrorie and Bates.......a bit of a hard bastard. 

And shirt sales would go through the roof. Who wouldn't want to go around with Bevis Mugabe printed on the back of their jersey. It's one of the best names ever. 

BUT

I had a look on one of the Motherwell sites, they're speculating that because they signed a new right sided CH earlier in the week that they've obviously had an offer for Mugabe who mysteriously was left out of their squad against Morton on Saturday.  They haven't specifically said that the "bid" came from us. Nor do I understand where this 'Well fan gets his info from that Gallagher is Hearts bound.

Calling it out as pish

56 minutes ago, Kiriakov33 said:

Pretty sure Glass is on record saying that he didn’t realise how much work was involved  and how difficult it is to get players signed.  Mcinnes said much the same hence a lot of signings were/are made in the last couple of days of the window.

I think the club were expecting an acceptable bid to have come in for either  Hedges/Ferguson/Ramsay in order to be able to secure a couple of targets.   I expect Hedges to be the one to leave this window after Saturdays game and maybe a loan striker to come in.  

Hedges is a weird one.  I have a dubious feeling Blackburn will make a barely acceptable bid at 11.50pm on the 31st

Bidding war Cormack (and the rest of us) wanted for Ramsay hasn't happened.  I'm hoping that materialises on Monday with a grotesquely high figure agreed and he's loaned back until the end of the season.

I find surprising there's been no rumours or strong interest in Ferguson.  He's having another solid season, I'd expect at least a top end ECL club or two in for him. If he really wants a good move he should get himself a proper agent instead of that tool McMurdo.

39 minutes ago, RabidGiraffe said:

Hedges is a weird one.  I have a dubious feeling Blackburn will make a barely acceptable bid at 11.50pm on the 31st

Bidding war Cormack (and the rest of us) wanted for Ramsay hasn't happened.  I'm hoping that materialises on Monday with a grotesquely high figure agreed and he's loaned back until the end of the season.

I find surprising there's been no rumours or strong interest in Ferguson.  He's having another solid season, I'd expect at least a top end ECL club or two in for him. If he really wants a good move he should get himself a proper agent instead of that tool McMurdo.

I'd rather keep hold of all them now tbh, try to find some form and win a few games. 

14 hours ago, Dons79 said:

Not really weird at all, Fulham have been pumping teams 5,6,7 goals against teams this year, he’s obviously thought av no chance of breaking through into that team and being 20/21 he’s wanted to play, fair few Bob at Fulham as well so likely to strengthen, he knew at MK dons he would be starting.

He left Fulham in 2020 - so how would he have known that Fulham would start pumping teams by 5-7 goals 18 months later!?

• Haha 1

This has been a good transfer window moving on players who are of no good or were not getting used. It’s a pity the incoming player’s are very minimal so far. That’s what happens when you can’t get anyone sold.

A further boost to our outgoings would be to return Teddy Jenks and get a loan for Dean Campbell. That would probably blow all our spare cash though as we would need to pay clubs to take them.

39 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

This has been a good transfer window moving on players who are of no good or were not getting used. It’s a pity the incoming player’s are very minimal so far. That’s what happens when you can’t get anyone sold.

A further boost to our outgoings would be to return Teddy Jenks and get a loan for Dean Campbell. That would probably blow all our spare cash though as we would need to pay clubs to take them.

Jenks will be here until the summer.

17 hours ago, super_al said:

Is it not getting a little concerning that alot of our top targets are rejecting us? Maybe this is normal course of business but this time we are hearing about them. 

I've said it before, I just can't imagine sitting down with Stephen Glass and talking about signing for his team. I know the main thing is probably money but imagine Glass talking to you about his plans. You'd fall asleep

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, RED_JOHN said:

Jenks isn't going anywhere. I do however find it strange he barely started a game all season but since Cormack tweeted about him in response to Haraldur on twitter he's started every game. Hopefully he's not having any influence on picking the team.. 

9 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Bologna have upped their bid for Ramsay to £4.8m

Cormack must be getting close to folding, at figures like that, especially if that’s up front with add ons to come.

You’d have to think Ramsay and his agent are agreeable to heading to Italy, otherwise why are they coming back with an improved offer?

It's a good offer imo. Just need to see now if EPL sides show their hand. If we are wanting him to stay on loan need to hope he goes to an EPL side as i can't see Bologna allowing him to stay on loan.