Ukraine

Ke1t

9 minutes ago, CCB III said:

https://m.economictimes.com/news/defence/only-30-per-cent-western-weapons-making-it-to-ukraine-frontlines-cbs/amp_articleshow/93433146.cms

Since retracted by CBS upon the request of the Ukrainian government 

Remember kids, as long as you're on the just side, propagandising is fine.

CBS is talking shite, if they weren’t they wouldn’t have retracted it. There’s plenty Russian influence in western media also. 

15 minutes ago, CCB III said:

https://m.economictimes.com/news/defence/only-30-per-cent-western-weapons-making-it-to-ukraine-frontlines-cbs/amp_articleshow/93433146.cms

Since retracted by CBS upon the request of the Ukrainian government 

Remember kids, as long as you're on the just side, propagandising is fine.

Yeah, this has been exposed as shite, though. 

This isn't Afghanistan... there are rules. 

4 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Yeah, this has been exposed as shite, though. 

This isn't Afghanistan... there are rules. 

I've only seen it exposed as shite by the Ukrainian gov.

They are demanding more than them retracting it.

Would be bizarre for a station like CBS, a pretty big one, to just totally retract its own investigative journalism upon request. 

My personal opinion is that there's something there but they know the consequences of standing by it.  

14 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Doesn't fit the oversimplified narrative of Ukraine is good Russia is bad that most believe. 

I mean, this is the narrative I believe. That Putin is an expansionist (Georgia, Transnistria, Crimea, Donbass, threats towards the Baltic states, calling the dissolution of the Soviet Union a disaster etc.) and figured he could get away with a rapid annexation against one of the weakest militaries in Europe. 

He's even alluded to his place in history as the spiritual successor to Peter the Great (an expansionist who assumed the mantle of Emperor). 

What do you believe is the reason behind his invasion? 

22 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

Sticking up for the oppressed ethnic Russians in eastern Ukraine? 

Well, you don't do that by shelling cities full of Russian-speaking Ukrainians, so that probably isn't the reason for the invasion. 

1 hour ago, Ke1t said:

I mean, this is the narrative I believe. That Putin is an expansionist (Georgia, Transnistria, Crimea, Donbass, threats towards the Baltic states, calling the dissolution of the Soviet Union a disaster etc.) and figured he could get away with a rapid annexation against one of the weakest militaries in Europe. 

He's even alluded to his place in history as the spiritual successor to Peter the Great (an expansionist who assumed the mantle of Emperor). 

What do you believe is the reason behind his invasion? 

I believe both that NATO membership is a provocation, or can be construed as such, but I also agree with everything said about Putin there. 

People are suspicious of the military industrial complex and its role in all of this. 

It's very weird that a news channel took its time to do some investigative journalism, vetted it, put it out there, and had ANOTHER country try and silence the findings. 

Surely, like all media, it can be published, and ridiculed and scrutinised accordingly? 

Why has it been pulled entirely? That's a huge hit on their credibility as a means of news, and not something they'll have done lightly. 

4 minutes ago, CCB III said:

I believe both that NATO membership is a provocation, or can be construed as such, but I also agree with everything said about Putin there. 

People are suspicious of the military industrial complex and its role in all of this. 

It's very weird that a news channel took its time to do some investigative journalism, vetted it, put it out there, and had ANOTHER country try and silence the findings. 

Surely, like all media, it can be published, and ridiculed and scrutinised accordingly? 

Why has it been pulled entirely? That's a huge hit on their credibility as a means of news, and not something they'll have done lightly. 

Media doing something lightly. Yeah that’d never happen.

48 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Ukraine hadn't applied for NATO membership, all that was said was that NATO didn't rule it out because hostile states don't get a say in who joins NATO. That's not provocation, that's telling Russia it's not in control of Western decision-making, the same way we don't tell other states who can and can't join the CSTO. 

The military industrial complex is powerful, but that's also why a handful of American weapons are smashing several Russian armies. Their role in this seems limited, however, when we see how keen Putin is to dominate his neighbours. 

As for the report, I don't believe only 30% is reaching the front line. In Afghanistan and Iraq, sure.. there was literally no enemy, and we were handing over planeloads of weapons and cash that instantly disappeared. In Ukraine there's a clear and present danger, and they're desperate to get the hardware to defend themselves. They're not pushing the Russians back for a lack of Western equipment. 

The story was probably pulled because it's a massive propaganda point for the Russians. "See, Western citizens? Your money is disappearing to who knows where. You may as well stop supplying arms to them, eh?" 

We're at a major inflection point in European history, we're already at war, and we don't need to be boosting the other side. 

Guest milne_afc
19 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

The story was probably pulled because it's a massive propaganda point for the Russians. "See, Western citizens? Your money is disappearing to who knows where. You may as well stop supplying arms to them, eh?" 

I think most folk are at that point with or without the propaganda. It’s such a rubbish conflict. 

57 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

Media doing something lightly. Yeah that’d never happen.

Not saying it's not probable, just saying they'll know what side their bread is buttered. 

Unless of course, they do actually have definite links to Russian media, which I don't think they do. 

You must admit it's bizarre to entirely pull the story and not even allow it to be published for scrutiny?

7 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

I think most folk are at that point with or without the propaganda. It’s such a rubbish conflict. 

But it's a bizarre point because ultimately you're just propagandising for Ukraine if you're silencing things that you consider to be "Russian propaganda."

Report the facts with honesty and let people make up their own minds, you know, they call it journalism.